Exit

Converting from Winhelp to HTMLHelp Part 2

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2007 Nov 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converting an existing application from Winhelp to HTMLHelp
PART II

9. Then had to figure out how to get the compiler to create the #define statements for the project.
a. Created a new Microsoft MFC project in Visual Studio called HTMLTEST.
b. Discovered that the resource.h file had a Custom Built Step! (I didn’t know that .h files could be “compiled”!!! Sort of a disgusting concept!)
c. Lifted the following from the Custom Build Step for Resource.h in HTMLTEST and copied it to a custom build step for my application:

echo // Generated Help Map file. Used by HTMLTEST.HHP. > "htmlhelp\HTMLDefines.h"
echo. > "htmlhelp\HTMLDefines.h"
echo // Commands (ID_* and IDM_*) >> "htmlhelp\HTMLDefines.h"
makehm /h ID_,HID_,0x10000 IDM_,HIDM_,0x10000 "$(InputFileName)" >> "htmlhelp\HTMLDefines.h"
echo. >> "htmlhelp\HTMLDefines.h"
echo // Prompts (IDP_*) >> "htmlhelp\HTMLDefines.h"
makehm /h IDP_,HIDP_,0x30000 "$(InputFileName)" >> "htmlhelp\HTMLDefines.h"
echo // Resources (IDR_*) >> "hlp\HTMLDefines.h"
makehm /h IDR_,HIDR_,0x20000 "$(InputFileName)" >> "htmlhelp\HTMLDefines.h"
echo // Dialogs (IDD_*) >> "htmlhelp\HTMLDefines.h"
makehm /h IDD_,HIDD_,0x20000 "$(InputFileName)" >> "htmlhelp\HTMLDefines.h"
echo // Frame Controls (IDW_*) >> "htmlhelp\HTMLDefines.h"
makehm /h /a afxhh.h IDW_,HIDW_,0x50000 "$(InputFileName)" >> "htmlhelp\HTMLDefines.h"

10. Had to make sure HTMLDefines.h was added to the Robohelp Map Files area by using “Import Map f\File…” (Also BSSCDefault.h needs to be there but I still don’t know why. I still don’t know where it came from…)
11. So then I had to figure out how to get Visual Studio to compile the help file. I added the following to the .hhp’s Custom Build Step - Command Line:

hhc "htmlhelp\HandyAvi.hhp" > htmlhelp\handyaviHELPERRORS.txt"
Echo Compile finished.
Echo There is a log file: "file://c:\MyProjects\HandyAvi\HandyAvi\htmlhelp\handyaviHELPERRORS.txt"
Echo Check on result.
if not exist "htmlhelp\HandyAvi.chm" goto :HelpError
echo.
copy "htmlhelp\HandyAvi.chm" "$(OutDir)"
goto :HelpDone
:HelpError
echo hlp\$(ProjectName).hhp : error: Problem encountered creating help file
:HelpError0
echo hlp\$(ProjectName).hhp : error: HHC failed during help file creation.
:HelpDone
echo.

I added the handyaviHELPERRORS.txt file to capture the output of the hhc compiler. It is accessible easily from within Visual Studio using a Ctrl-Left-mouse-click similar to other things in the Microsoft Visual Studio Output window.

12. Anyway, that restored my compiler behavior to what it used to be when I was using WinHelp. It now compiles the help file when necessary.
13. Then I discovered that the .css files created during the conversion from Word to HTML did not contain correct size for the Headers H1, H2, H3. Hand-edited each one (they are just text files) to change the header sizes.
14. That worked and all headers are now displayed properly.

REMAINING PROBLEMS:
1. Robohelp for Word, after compile, cannot bring up the result. It fails with an mk:@MSITStore… error. (I don’t need that now but it is irksome…)
a. The robohelp people WERE able to replicate this on their machine using my help directory.
b. They didn’t know what was causing it.
c. My experiments revealed that if I eliminated all of my image files from the project, the problem did not occur.
d. I could use 10 or 20 images and it would work.
e. When I added all the images, the problem then occurred again.
f. I resized all images to make sure they were of width 590 pixels or less but the problem still occurred.
g. No solution. Irritating…
2. Help – Contents and Index brings up some strange semi-on-line page.
a. Search using that page says “LiveDocs Search Results – your search for map site: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Robohelp/RHTML/7.0 did not match any documents…
b. I would rather it bring up the local document! I discovered the local document, "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 7\RoboHTML\Robohtml.chm", only recently by looking through the Robohelp directory and guessing that this might be the help document.
3. Context Sensitive Help
a. Edit Map IDs is probably one of the most obtuse user interfaces I have ever seen.
b. Was not clear what was assigned to what or what that did.
c. Little yellow and blue boxes with question marks didn’t help much.
d. Was not clear how map #s were initially assigned. Finally figured out that they are assigned by the resource.h file’s custom build step in Visual Studio.
e. The help button provides some information but it doesn’t say WHAT the panel is actually accomplishing, i.e., why “assign” anything. I know now but I didn’t know when I first tried to use it.
f. Why is there a question mark on the blue icon? That usually means that something is screwed up and “questionable”! At least that is what it conveys to me…
4. I don’t need it now but I still don’t see how to command-line compile the help file that Robohelp for Word’s seems to be able to compile.
5. Fortunately, I figured out how to command-line compile the “Robohelp HTML” stuff.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2007 Nov 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further analysis shows that when I use hhc to compile my .chm file within Visual Studio, the results are different from when Robohelp compiles the file. I do not believe Robohelp is using hhc. With hhc, I did not get the results I expected when I modified the map data. The .chm files produced by Robohelp and by hhc are different! The only safe procedure currently is to compile using Robohelp. Not happy about this. I would like hhc "htmlhelp\HandyAvi.hhp" to do the job. I don't think it does at this point. What else is there that will work?

I suppose this is not critical. I'm just used to years of having this work a certain way... I have modified the .hhp file's Custom Build Step now to look like this:

if not exist "htmlhelp\HandyAvi.chm" goto :HelpError
Echo.
echo Copying htmlhelp\HandyAvi.chm to $(OutDir)
echo Be sure it is the latest Robohelp Output!
Echo.
copy "htmlhelp\HandyAvi.chm" "$(OutDir)"
:HelpError
Echo could not copy HandyAvi.chm file. Rerun Robohelp compile!
:HelpDone
echo.

Sigh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2007 Nov 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check this link for the mk:@MSITStor problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum
Thanks. I found that link and tried it a week or so ago. No effect. Still have the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try downloading the MJ Diagnostics utility from here to ensure you have all the required bits!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

I appreciate your attempt to help but I located, downloaded and ran the MJ Diagnostics on 21 Nov 2007. I just reran it and posted the results at
http://www.azcendant.com/helpreport.htm
Maybe I missed something that will be more obvious to you.

I would be GLAD to zip up my complete help directory and post it for you to try if think you can get a handle on this problem.

Thanks,

Howard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You might also like to take a look at http://www.helpware.net

I believe there's some information about the mk:@MSITStore issue.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp