• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 : How to convert a path stroke in a vector shape ?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When you use the Photoshop CS6 new function stroke on the path of a vector shape, how can you convert the result in a vector shape ?

Merging multiple vector shapes doesn't work. The strokes outlines are not vectorized in the new vector shape.

It's possible to convert in pixel and keep the stroke drawing, but no way to convert in vector.

Illustrator has a similar function in order to vectorize the stroke.

Thanks for your help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and welcome to the forum!

When you use the Photoshop CS6 new function stroke on the path of a vector shape, how can you convert the result in a vector shape ?

When you use a Rectangle/Ellipse/etc creation tool in Shape mode (see Options bar) then you do create a vector object (it's actually a Fill layer with a vector mask). The stroke options for these tools only appear when the tool is in Shape mode, anyway.

Merging multiple vector shapes doesn't work. The strokes outlines are not vectorized in the new vector shape.

Multiple vector Shape layers do merge into one vector Shape layer as long as all layers being merged are Shape layers. A mixture of layer types will be merged into a pixel layer.

It's possible to convert in pixel and keep the stroke drawing, but no way to convert in vector.

Illustrator has a similar function in order to vectorize the stroke.

If you're referring to Illustrator's trace function then the closest thing in Photoshop is to convert a Selection to a Path. There are many methods for making a selection, such as Magic Wand, Quick Selection, Color Range, Cmd/Ctrl-clicking on a thumbnail, etc. Then you would use "Make Work Path..." command found in the Paths panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Conroy, thanks but actually I think you don't understand my question.

I wish to convert the stroke of an vector object, into a new vector shape (including the outlines of the stroke).

Here is a visual example :

http://i45.tinypic.com/3535vz7.jpg

A vector shape with a stroke (new CS6 function). Fill color is transparent, stroke is pink.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2hgwbcl.jpg

The outline of the stroke is converted into a new vector shape

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I misunderstood.

Photoshop has no command to directly create a new vector path from the outline of a stroke.

You could try making Path from Selection. With the Shape on a white background, click on the pink with the Magic Wand Tool with options as shown below:

Screen shot 2012-10-11 at 21.44.23.png

Screen shot 2012-10-11 at 21.44.44.png

Screen shot 2012-10-11 at 21.48.36.png

Screen shot 2012-10-11 at 21.45.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Conroy,

thanks again.

it's a shade, since Making path from a selection gives an approximated result. As you know, straight lines become curved. Final shape is very poor.

Sometimes I wonder myself why such evident function are not implemented into Photoshop. Of couse there are thousand others, but I think I'm not the only one users who may appreciate that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, the result is poor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also wanted this for a long time now! Sad to see that it wasn't included in Photoshop CC either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

If you subscribe to the full cloud offering, you can use Illustrator CC to do such a thing, but you do already know that, from post #3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a way -
You can create your shape/stroke, make sure you have a transparent background, save as an EPS file, open the file in illustrator, then highlight your shape in illustrator and COPY, then go to photoshop and PASTE, and select "paste as Shape", and you will have pen marks for both the inside and outside of your shape, which will no longer just be a stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2015 Apr 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old post, but for others who come across - it seems there is an easy way to convert a stroke to a separate shape.

Choose the object with the stroke. Before converting, decide where stroke is applied - do this in the Stroke Panel - on the outside of the current shape, inside, or aligned in the middle of the current shape's path. Then, go to Object, Expand and click Okay. Fill and Stroke will be 2 separate objects. I noticed that I sometimes have to Ungroup the Objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting the solution, however I cannot for the life of me find what you mean to click "Object>Expand".  Where is this located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologize - I had read a post about Illustrator above and forgot that this was a question about Photoshop. The instructions I mention are the easy way in Illustrator to do what you asked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, thanks for the clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2015 Dec 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I so much appreciate this question being asked, and I just can't fathom why this hasn't been implemented yet.
I know the main program for vactor graphics is Illustrator, but seriously, some tasks are huge others are small, and It's just a hassle to have to copy paste files back and forth, creating an unnessecary amount of files and causing RAM usage.

Strokes on shapes are now implementet, so @Adobe; please let us be able to expand them also. It would be a nice christmas present for many of us.

Best regards and happy holidays.

Ola

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2016 Jan 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

convert the stroke layer to smart object and it will keep its thickness as vector shape

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A7med6161 wrote:

convert the stroke layer to smart object and it will keep its thickness as vector shape

I thought I'd just given you your first forum points by 'Liking' your post, but you are still showing 0 points, so I don't know what's going on there.  But, yes you are correct, if not quite explaining it fully. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It downscales ok, but upscaling causes blurriness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, the problem solved now! Here is the genius who find a way to do it in photoshop: Convert photoshop custom shape stroke to a shape - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not really much of a genius, since the question was how to convert in photoshop and you are using illustrator. 

I would like to know how to do the same thing. I work in both programs, I can do it in illustrator easily, but I prefer to use photoshop most of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines