4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 9:59 PM by alexandery60803431

I need to buy a laptop for my video editing project. I also run adobe after effects. Please help!

alexandery60803431

I'm thinking about buying the HP Envy 17 intel i7 5500U. My budget is around 1500$. People are telling me to get a macbook pro but I'm sure I can get something better for that price. Any suggestions? Thanks:)

• 2. Re: I need to buy a laptop for my video editing project. I also run adobe after effects. Please help!
          Ed2149 Level 1

I would not get either of you listed options. The above links are worth a read to so you better understand why, but in a nutshell the i7 5500U is only dual core and the Macbook Pros aside from being expensive have been running very old hardware for sometime now and are hugely limited with their upgrade paths.

I would look at a custom build from somewhere like Cyberpower or Xotic PC. $1500 will get you a half decent rig with a realistic upgrade path. Not saying buy this particular build as there are many options on the site and you would need to be sure it has been configured to your personal liking and budget, but to give you an idea:

Sager NP8278 (Clevo P170SM-A)

- FREE!!! – U.S. UPS GROUND SHIPPING (Use Coupon Code "FREESHIP" in Checkout) [U.S. Lower 48 ONLY / Restrictions Apply]
          - 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Anti-Glare Screen (1920x1080) (SKU - SSC002)
          - Standard No Dead Pixel Policy
          - NO Professional Monitor Color Calibration
          - Sager - 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4710MQ (2.5GHz - 3.5GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache) (SKU – SPU201)
          -- Stock OEM Thermal Compound
          - NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 965M (4.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX12 (Maxwell) w/ Optimus™ Technology [User Upgradeable] (SKU – GPU17X)
          - No Copper Cooling Upgrade
          - No Video Adapter
          - No External Mobile Display
          - 16GB DDR3 1600MHz [2x8GB] Dual Channel Memory (SKU - RAM04S)
          - Sager Branding
          - Standard Laptop Finish
          - 120GB Crucial BX100 Series SSD [SSD2 - SATA III] (SKU - SSD099)
          - 1TB 7200RPM [SATA II - 3GB/s] (SKU - HDD094)
          - HDD Raid Settings - OFF
          - 8X Super Multi DVDRW/CDRW Combo Drive (Sager) (Dual Layer w/ Software) (When selecting a Hard Drive in the Optical Bay, No Optical Drive is Included) (SKU - ODD099)
          - Bluetooth Included *With select wireless cards only* (See “Wireless Network” Section Below)
          - Sager - Intel® Dual Band AC 7260 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth™ 4.0 (SKU - WIFI94)
          - Internal 9-in-1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD/Mini SD/SDHC/SDXC/MS/MS Pro/MS Duo)
          - Integrated Digital Video Camera
          - Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
          - Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
          - Integrated Fingerprint Reader
          - ~Windows 8.1 - 64-Bit (64-Bit CD Included) + MS Office 2013 Trial
          - LIFETIME Ltd Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Technical Support (Labor through XPC)
          Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Parts Warranty Repairs
          (SKU - WTY099)

- * 24/7 LIFETIME U.S. based technical support
          * Extreme QA testing by dedicated technicians
          * 24-72 Hour stress testing and benchmarking to ensure top performance and stability

- Standard Production Time
          - No Outside of US Shipping Coverage

$1,534.00

Sub-Total: $1,534.00

3% Cash Discount

Total: $1,1478.98

The above would allow you to work from the off in your budget with the understanding of the limitations of the second HDD, 16GB etc, however the drive can be replaced, there are msata slots which can be raided, the optical drive can be configured to be replaced with an SSD/HDD caddy, there are 4 RAM slots allowing you to go up to 32GB. I believe this flexibility in initial configuration gives better short and long term value for money over many off the shelf options which you might then have to crack open yourself to upgrade parts potentially invalidating warranties, but if you do have a penchant for a particular brand (I know ASUS 750 line lappy's seem to get recommended on here), then there are also options to configure some of their systems as well.

Sure others will be able to improve on the above but gets the ball rolling hopefully. 

• 3. Re: I need to buy a laptop for my video editing project. I also run adobe after effects. Please help!
            RjL190365 Level 4

Although technically you can run Adobe CC programs on that HP Envy 17, keep in mind that the i7-5500U and all other mobile Broadwell CPUs that shipped thus far are only dual-core CPUs. This means that performance will never equal a true quad-core CPU of the same CPU generation or even a quad-core CPU that's one or even two generations old. In fact, the i7-5500U's performance will still be significantly slower than the Haswell-generation i7-4710MQ that was recommended as an entry-level mobile CPU for Adobe.

• 4. Re: I need to buy a laptop for my video editing project. I also run adobe after effects. Please help!
              alexandery60803431 Level 1

Wow thanks! This forum is great haha I need to wait months on the other ones to get a good answer. Thanks guys! I'll keep you updated with what I buy:)