• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

problem with merged help

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2007 Nov 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

argggh. ok. i (thought i) followed peter grainge's merged help on a simple merged webhelp project, but am having a devil of a time producing the desired result, and updating the published files to show what's been merged (e.g., the child projects).

the top-most level of the directory structure i'm using is called fruits. within that i have ~main and ~sub (with tildes). within ~sub
i have two child projects: apples and oranges.

when i publish, the resulting toc shows (repeats) the parent (what's in ~main, not the child projects), and when i look in explorer, each child project shows the same directory structure as the parent (including the mergedProjects directory). i'm using lowercase file names when i generate, and even though i've specified each, e.g., c:\fruits\testPublish\mergedProjects\apples and c:\fruits\testPublish\mergedProjects\oranges, the publishing result shows that the child server details are going to the root directory (c:\fruits\testPublish).

what the heck? (and btw, i can't get this to work properly using peter's demo file either.) pls help correct the error of my ways.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 27, 2007 Nov 27, 2007
thanks for the help. the issue has been resolved.

i was erroneously attempting to generate and publish the subprojects from the master, even though their files weren't actually in the project (pane). apparently, i was literally reading peter's directions, which did not specifically indicate that i should generate and publish from each individual sub-project. as a result, i kept getting the master generating and publishing from within itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Nov 21, 2007 Nov 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that (for each child project) the first entry in the first page of the generation process, "Select Output Folder and Start Page." is correct.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2007 Nov 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i believe that i have created the webhelp generation and publish directories for each project correctly, but it's still not working.

the master project (fruits) is set to generate output (webhelp) to C:\help_projects\fruits\!SSL!\testGenerate\index.htm and publish in C:\help_projects\fruits\testPublish, while the two child projects are set to generate output to C:\help_projects\fruits\!SSL!\testGenerate\mergedProjects\apples and C:\help_projects\fruits\!SSL!\testGenerate\mergedProjects\oranges (respectively) and publish in C:\help_projects\fruits\testPublish\mergedProjects\apples\ and C:\help_projects\fruits\testPublish\mergedProjects\oranges\ (respectively).

when i look at explorer, the directory structure shows ~sub (with tildes) and the two child projects (apples and oranges), which simply contain the source files (no other RoboHelp published files), plus a mergedProjects directory, which shows the two child projects (apples and oranges), each containing fully published files. (see below for the structure i am seeing.) can someone shed some light on what i'm missing here? thks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 23, 2007 Nov 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're indicating that you're generating to the testPublish folders and publishing to the testGenerate folders.

Might that be the problem? I'd empty all the generate/publish folders, then ensure that your Start path and Publish destinations are correct.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2007 Nov 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the help. the issue has been resolved.

i was erroneously attempting to generate and publish the subprojects from the master, even though their files weren't actually in the project (pane). apparently, i was literally reading peter's directions, which did not specifically indicate that i should generate and publish from each individual sub-project. as a result, i kept getting the master generating and publishing from within itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 7 - Generate and Publish the Child Project(s)

That would seem to cover it!

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahhhh peter,

i was following the method that you had written in the download example (MergingWebHelpInstructions.htm), entitled "Merging Web Help WIth Relative Paths," which doesn't have a step 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no instructions in the merged webhelp download. Also I cannot find a file with that name. Can you point me to exactly what you downloaded?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

take a look at Merging WebHelp (on your site) and within the zip (found in "click here to download the demo projects links" ( http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/merging_webhelp/merging_webhelp_original.zip), there is an Instructions directory which contains the file to which i referred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That file contains the following:

Step 4 - Generate and Publish the Sub Project(s)

In Step 3, RoboHelp will have created additional directories under TestGenerate and TestPublish. Generate and publish each sub project to the appropriate directory under merged projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
lol. thanks for the reply. peter, your overall instructions and summary did help, but it was a struggle that was not initially clear to me. could be that the queen's english is different than my good ol' usa english.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp