Exit

Error opening v5 .xpj in 7

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2007 Nov 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all:

I'm hoping someone may help me shed some light on this issue:

I downloaded a trial version of RH7 to see whether it offered enough to warrant the upgrade. But when I open a copy of my project via the Recent Project Open dialog box, I get error messages:

When I open my .xpj: I receive the Upgrade Project warning. When I click Upgrade, I get "Unable to initialize DAO/Jet db engine."

When I open my .hhp: I'm prompted to use the .xpj. Whether I answer Yes or No, I get a message that says "Unable to create database. Check that the directory is not read-only." I'm guessing that the directory in question is my project folder, to which I've removed any/all Read Only file attibutes. (I also tried importing as a Microsoft HTML Help Project, but I get the same "Unable to create database..." error.)

Note: I can still open the exact same .xpj and .hhp files in RH v.5...

I'm using Win XP SP2.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Trace

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2007 Nov 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure how you have managed to get a recent project list if nothing can be opened but ignore that.

It sounds like you may have installed without sufficient rights, you need admin rights when you install.

Or are your projects on a network drive?

Have you tried creating a new project in RH7?

BTW. Before you open any project in a later version, make sure you have a backup.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2007 Nov 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter:

Thanks very much for your quick reply. My responses are below, prefaced with "TJP."

It sounds like you may have installed without sufficient rights, you need admin rights when you install.

TJP: I uninstalled RH7, then closed. I then logged in as full network admin and reinstalled. But I still get the same errors.

Or are your projects on a network drive?

TJP: My test conversion project is a copy residing on my local C: drive.

Have you tried creating a new project in RH7?

TJP: I did, but it doesn't look like much happened. (For one thing, I expected the RoboHelp HTML -[Starter] interface to change to a development interface, but it has not.) When I look under Recent Projects/Open, my new project does not have any of the Help project files (.xpj, .hpj, etc.)

When I check my hard drive, I DO see that it created a folder with nine basic files and a folder named !SkinSubFolder!.

BTW. Before you open any project in a later version, make sure you have a backup.

TJP: Absolutely. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logging in as the Network Administrator is not the same as logging in as yourself with full admin rights. RH must be installed with the users login, no one else's, and admin rights must be attached.

See the topic on my site about Installing. The rights stuff applies to all versions including RH7.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. I read your helpful article on installation. I then looked at my user permissions, which were originally "Administrator," but which had been set to "Debugger User" at some point. I changed back to Administrator, then logged off and back on again.

I reinstalled with full local Administrator permissions, but I'm experiencing the same bugs.

The only thing I could think of is that my company is developing a software that involves a database, so I deleted that software. Then uninstalled RH7. Before reinstalling, I right-clicked the setup.exe file and cleared the Protect my computer from unauthorized program activity check box, just in case. No luck.

Then I had my QA Director install the demo on his PC. It went without incident and he could successfully open my test project. Finally, I deleted the RH 5.01 upgrade and 5. Then reinstalled RH7, but without better results.

Still no progress. I've installed several Adobe products on this machine without incident, but this one is a real stumper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attempting to create a new project and only getting some of the files is a classic sign of not having sufficient installation rights. The "Unable to initialize DAO/Jet db engine." message you got is not a usual one but the one that follows is.

Could you create a different user and install using that? Keep your existing user login as otherwise you will lose the settings for your other programs.

What anti virus software are you using and have you tried installing with that disabled.

Adobe posted an installation woes article recently. Perhaps that will identify something. http://www.adobe.com/go/kb402652

Let us know how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2007 Nov 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi:

We have a part-time IT pro who will be by in a few days to help me troubleshoot.

Meanwhile, I'll take a look at the article you recommend and see what I can accomplish without his assistance.

I greatly appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp