• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has anyone tried running Standard on Dev and Enterprise on Prod?

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to upgrade our existing servers to CF11, and we're considering saving money by installing the Standard version on our development servers, and the Enterprise version on production. We need PDF generation and more threads in production, but we don't need these things in dev, and the price difference is significant.

We're wondering if we will run into unforeseen problems by having different versions on dev and prod. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Any reason to think we'd be causing ourselves future headaches?

Thanks in advance

-David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can you not use the development version on your dev servers? This gives you the same features as Enterprise but with some restrictions (Mainly IP access limits and things like watermarks on documents etc).

This way you can test all your enterprise features before putting them in to production. Otherwise you may run in to problems related to enterprise that you wont see on the dev side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks haxtbh.

We have multiple developers across campus who work on the development server, so the IP access limits are an issue. Is there an easy way around this? I suppose they could log into a shared remote desktop or something, so they're coming in through a single IP, but that makes me nervous for some reason.

Sounds like you're saying the Development version is closer to Enterprise than Standard is - is that right? That's our big concern, that we'll see differences between dev and prod.

Thanks again,

-David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The IP access restrictions are two remote IPs and localhost I believe. The developer version IS the enterprise version with the restrictions. If you are needing facilities on enterprise in production then you will need  enterprise in development otherwise testing could be difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks. That's what we're afraid of.

Do you have any specifics on what the complications would be for testing, if we did run Standard in dev and Enterprise on prod? I'm assuming that the threading differences could cause some behavior changes, and we know that the PDF generation doesn't work in Standard. Any predictions on what else we would run into if we went down this path?

That would help me write up a final decision, so we can move forward with Enterprise on all servers.

Thanks again for your quick and helpful responses!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He is a list of the comparisons so you can see what things are restricted in standard:

Buying guide | Adobe ColdFusion 11 Enterprise

Basically anything restricted in standard you wont be able to test with without development or enterprise installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that gives me what I need, thanks again.

-David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you purchase and install Enterprise in production you can use that same license on any non-production  server as well.  You don't need to purchase licenses for dev servers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I've been reading about that, and I'm still not entirely clear.

Please confirm - You're saying that with one CF11 Enterprise license, I can run:

1. Our production server, a VM with 2 CPU (8 cores)

2. Our stage environment, which also lives on the production server, and shares the CPU

3. Our dev server, a separate VM with 1 CPU (4 cores). Access restricted to our campus developer community.

If that's allowed, it would be fantastic news. Thanks for responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are correct.  You might want to check with adobe licensing to be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Staging" should be licensed separately.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting, thanks Anit (and fergusondj).

We only recently added the idea of a stage environment on prod, so the separate license cost for that may change our minds. Excellent to hear that I can use a single license for prod and dev though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation