• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publishing Error - Failed to create file

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2007 Nov 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently using the Trial version of RoboHelp 7. Does the trial version not allow you to publish the help system?

I am receiving an error message when attempting to publish the help system (WebHelp or Flashhelp) via FTP to a server. The messages I am receiving when attempting to create Flashhelp is "Publishing has been cancelled. Failed to create file cshdat_webhelp.htm" followed by "Publishing has been cancelled. Failed to create file bsscftp.txt."

The messages I am receiving when attempting to create WebHelp is "Publishing has been cancelled. Failed to create file cshdat_robohelp.htm" followed by "Publishing has been cancelled. Failed to create file bsscftp.txt."

I did import some robohelp .htm files from compiled help on our server.

Any direction or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

You cannot take output files and use them as source files, assuming the output is from RH. Other HTM files may be different.

Use one of the supplied sample files and publish from those.

(back them up first to keep clean copies)

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So...there is no way to import .htm files from compiled RoboHelp? The system allows me to import the files (cleanly I might add), generate WebHelp or Flashhelp, and view the output. Why won't it allow you to publish the help system? Why wouldn't it just leave those specific files out?

It seems there has to be a way instead of recreating every file from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why you would want to import output files when you already have the source.

Normally when you import an output file, you see some red squares in the file you have imported into your project.

You don't recreate every file from scratch. Your source files are permanent. Each time you update the content, you generate new output files from those source files. You don't create new source files from old output.

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding here.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My original RoboHelp project was wiped out when my operating system crashed on my personal computer; therefore, I no longer have the project file. The client I am working for has sent me a pc and I have downloaded the trial version of RoboHelp. I created a new project and attempted to import a few .htm files from the server where I last published before my pc crashed. I deleted the red boxes at the top and bottom of the files I imported.

I opened the Customer Care project that comes with the trial version and I received the same error message when attempting to publish to the server.

Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, mmphillipstx and welcome.
I don't think the fact that you are using a trial should affect your publishing.

From the message text, it sounds like you are trying to publish a WebHelp or FlashHelp project to a RoboHelp Server. If that's the case, you need to choose WebHelp PRO or FlashHelp PRO as your Single Source Layout (SSL). This will present a different Publishing wizard site setup screen when you get to that part of the publishing process. The "Connection Protocol" should say "RoboHelp Server" when you click the New button.

Also, you must make sure that the RoboHelp Server version matches the version of your authoring client.
So if you are using the Trial of RoboHelp 7 you must publish to a RoboHelp Server 7 server. Otherwise, you can publish WebHelp or FlashHelp to a "regular" non-RoboHelp Server server.

Hope this helps. If not, let me know.
Thanx,
John
John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I was typing, you guys were talking
I should add that my post does not address the import of output files one way or the other. To me that is a completely different issue from the possibility that you are publishing to a RoboHelp Server.
I think Peter and you have addressed this and you have separated this issue by publishing the Customer Care project.
john
John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2007 Nov 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not publishing to a RoboHelp Server.

I was able to successfully publish using an earlier version of RoboHelp on my personal computer -- the one that crashed 2 weeks ago. Since then I have a different laptop, am using the trial version of RoboHelp 7, and created a new project (since my old project died with my pc -- no backup). Because I am receiving the same error message when I try to publish my project or a sample project that came with the trial version, I need to know what the error messages mean.

Does anyone know what the cshdat_webhelp.htm, cshdat_robohelp.htm, or the bsscftp.txt files are used for and what would cause them to fail to be created?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so you only have the output files because of a PC crash. There is a way out although if there is any chance of retrieving any backup, go for it.

Otherwise pay a visit to RoboWizard's site.

http://www.robowizard.com/RoboWizard/NewProject.htm#MonthlyScry/062004.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I hadn't seen the post about having opened Customer Care when I just posted.

I don't use the publish function so I don't know what to suggest. Presumably you can access the same target on the server using FTP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying these files are missing from output in the !SSL! directory, or on a server?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am saying that when attempting to publish ANY project via FTP to a server, I am receiving the following error messages:
Publishing has been cancelled. Failed to create file cshdat_webhelp.htm" followed by "Publishing has been cancelled. Failed to create file bsscftp.txt."

What are these files used for and why couldn't they be created?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, mmphillipstx.
We actually have two issues here and I think we need to separate them.

1. One is the best practice and procedure to reconstruct a RoboHelp project when a hard drive fails, etc.
2. The other is to diagnose why the FTP failed - because even when you published the Customer Care project, it didn't work. These issues may or may not be related?

The only reason I brought up the RoboHelp Server possibility (I know you're not using it) was because when I tried last night to publish a WebHelp project to my RoboHelp Server 7, I got the *identical* error message! I guess this was merely a coincidence. But it suggests some lack of communication with the server on the other end and thus my wondering if the FTP publishing wizard settings are accurate. Make sure your permissions, firewalls, etc. allow you to FTP from your PC to the server.

To narrowly answer your question about the three files you mention:

1. All three files are NOT part of your source material. Rather, they are OUTPUT files generated when you publish a project to a server. (therefore you would not import them to your project if you are trying to reconstruct it)

2. The cshdat_webhelp.htm and cshdat_robohelp.htm contain ready-made JavaScript functions to assist in the event the help system is asked to deliver any topics called as part of Context Senstive Help (CSH). These functions are generated whether you actually have Map IDs and CSH or not. The functions are sort of there just in case they are needed.

3. The bsscftp.txt is a control file generated during the publishing process. It is essentially a "log file" that is generated ONLY in the output of a published help system. (i.e., you won't find it in the WebHelp folder under !SSL!. You would only find it on the destination website.) I *think* it is used to keep the files "in synch" during a file comparison when you republish. The idea is that when you publish to a site, it will only send across files that are "new" in order to save time.

BTW, the bssc goes way back to the beginnings of RoboHelp. BSSC stands for Blue Sky Software Corporation. (Now you know )

Because these are OUTPUT files, generated during the publish process, it would be illogical to import them to your RoboHelp project if you are trying to reconstruct a crashed project.

I'm afraid I may not have solved any problems, but perhaps this will help you diagnose the situation better. It seems to me your first step is to create the Publishing wizard FTP site settings and publish the Customer Care project successfully to make sure that problem is solved. Then you can go back to the repair work on your post-crash reconstruction.

If I trip over something else, I'll chime in.
Thanx,
john
John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input John! You are a RoboHelp instructor...right? I believe you were my instructor when I took a RoboHelp training class in Austin about 8 years ago.

My FTP publishing settings are identical to how I published successfully in the past. The only difference is that I am using a provided computer from my employer - which may have security/firewall/admin settings keeping me from publishing...and that I'm using the trial version of RoboHelp 7 where before I was using RoboHelp X5.

Do you happen to know if these files are one of the first files to be created when you publish? It seems that the error message comes up right away...not as if some files start moving and then it comes up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are used to store context sensitive help data for webhelp output. Are you using CSH?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not creating context-sensitive help...just WebHelp...and FlashHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I remember that Austin class. I lived there for 14 years and have since moved to Colorado. I still enjoy returning to teach though.

Just to get this out of the way, the cshdat_webhelp.htm and cshdat_robohelp.htm files are generated whether you are using CSH or not. I know this is counterintuitive. After all CSH means context sensitive help! But they are simply "generic" javascript functions that are routinely produced whether the system needs them or not. Kind of "just in case" files that do no harm if they are not needed.

Now to the other issue. To eliminate a permission/connection problem, use an FTP client (WS-FTP or some shareware) to log onto the webserver. Since this would be outside of RH, you could validate whether this is a connection problem.

Let us know,
john
John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked with our Engineering department on this issue. They logged into my computer and we worked on the issue for 2 hours. They say it's not a Firewall or Network issue. We were able to successfully FTP using DOS and Windows outside of RoboHelp from this PC.

I have removed the application and re-installed...and I get the same error. I have attempted to install the trial version on another PC...but I'm getting "A problem was encountered while trying to load the trial period for Adobe RoboHelp 7". So far, I'm thinking I need to go back to RoboHelp X5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 29, 2007 Nov 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rats. Not that this helps but I've emailed some of my colleagues about this. Hopefully I will hear something soon.
Sorry for your problems.
john
John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the response from my Engineering department when I questioned some of the possibilities:

The FTP userid & password is correct. I just confirmed that by connecting via DOS. And, it has nothing to do with your permissions. We proved that yesterday by successfully performing FTP via DOS and also again via Windows. We even did a successful transfer using RoboHelp when we selected a Customers subdirectory on your laptop. Something is wrong with the root of that !SSL! folder, but I have no idea what RoboHelp does with that compile process that uses that !SSL! folder.

You need to try to get an answer to that problem on that user forum you were using. FTP works. Something is wring with RoboHelp that we can’t support. Somebody has to have had this problem in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What setting(s) have you tried under Connection Protocols?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you direct me where to check for Connection Protocols?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last page of the wizard, where you define the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed in your Engineering Dept's response the reference to the !SSL! folder. That is simply where RH generates the local version of the webhelp.

Not everyone publishes their webhelp. Some take the content that is generated and give that to their developers who then put it on the server.

When you generate AND publish, first RH generates to wherever you define in the first page of the wizard and by default that will be to a folder under the !SSL! folder. Then RH tells you it has generated and asks if you want to View or Publish. When you publish it copies to the server the files it has generated to the !SSL! folder or wherever you have defined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's perplexing is that we did a successful transfer using RoboHelp when we selected a Customers subdirectory (a folder one level in from the root directory) on my laptop. Something is going wrong when the output folder is "...\!SSL!\WebHelp\index.htm" .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp