• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp5: Linking between project and subproject

Participant ,
Nov 27, 2007 Nov 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a master project and four subprojects They all exist in a flat directory; that is, the master project folder and all subproject folders are on the same directory level. I can merge the projects fine but when I try to add a hyperlink from a topic in the master project to a topic in one of the subprojects, the link disappears when I compile the master project.

I searched adobe for the answer and found a page that describes "Linking Between Merged WebHelp Projects", however the instructions suggest putting the subproject folders within the master project directory. I keep a set of test projects available just to practice things on without breaking my actual work and tried this out. I couldn't create merged projects using this method at all. The merged project link would appear in the TOC but when I complied the master project and viewed the results. the merged projects didn't appear.

Any ideas on how I can merge projects *and* create hyperlinks between the master and subprojects? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Nov 28, 2007 Nov 28, 2007
Ok. It worked and I didn't have to change the current directory structure nor create a master project devoid of content. Basically, my project consists of five projects...a main project and four projects that are merged into the main. All of the project folders exists on the same directory level.

The key to creating a hyperlink between a topic in one project and a topic in another project is, in the TOC:

Typing the text in the topic that you want to turn into a link
Highlighting that text
Cli...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the topic on my site about Merged WebHelp.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Before I get too deep into all this, I just want to make sure the tutorial information for merging WebHelp applies completely to HTMLHelp. I downloaded the merging_webhelp zip file since seeing the directory structure is more helpful than just reading a description. I'll let you know how this works out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are generating CHM help (I use that term to avoid any confusion), the procedures are similar but not identical. You will not need the parent to be a redirect and I think my topic makes some reference to that. Also the links are created in a different way.

Take a look at the topic but take a view on what is relevant if you are creating CHMs. Then I suggest you see how you get on and post back then. I'm sure one of the CHM people can help you.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2007 Nov 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi tripwire45. Is the sub-project CHM being copied into your master project directory? If it isn't this may explain the lack of a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

Not sure what you mean by "copied into the master project". In the TOC of the master project, I've right-clicked, selected New and then selected Merged Project. From there, I browse to the CHM file for the subproject I want to merge into the master, and select it. I get asked a few questions, click OK to get through the dialogs, and then the Merged Project link is included in the master project's TOC. Is that what you mean?

-Trip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK now I'm confused . You started talking about hyperlinks but have ended up talking about merging projects. The reason I asked about the copy of the sub-project is that if you "hyperlink" to one it is copied into the master project's directory. If you are in fact talking about merging a sub-project into a master project's TOC and you can not see the sub-project in the TOC when you compile, check that all the CHMs are in the same directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, I've got my test project organized as follows (as per information from Peter Grainge's site):

Master: This is the top-level master project. The single folder contains only one topic which is named "null" and I deleted all text including the title from that topic. The TOC of this project starts out as containing no information.

Child: This folder is at the same level of the directory as the Master folder and contains the directories for each of the subprojects.

Subproject1
Subproject2
Subproject3

All three of these subprojects are located inside the Child folder so that all of my actual project content exist on the same directory level.

From here, I go to the master project in the Null topic and on Null's TOC, I create the Merged Project links to the three subprojects. So far, everything works swimmingly. Then I try to create a link between a topic in Subproject1 and Subproject3.

The link seems to be created correctly, but I do get a warning message stating that it may not endure when the project files are moved. When I look at the page with the link in preview mode, the link exists and works.

I compile the three subprojects and recreate the merge links to the subprojects in the master project, the recompile the master. I click "view result" and navigate to the page that is supposed to contain the link and (alas) the link is just plain text.

That's where I am so far. Still going to work through the material on Peter's site to see if I missed something.

EDIT: I can see the subprojects in the master just fine, Colum. But when I try to create a hyperlink on one topic in one subproject to a topic in another subproject, when all the projects are compiled, the hyperlink itself is broken. Does that clarify?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm whether your output is webhelp or CHMs. Part of the confusion appears to be that you are posting in the HTML Help forum yet referring to a procedure for merged webhelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the confusion, Colum. Yes, I'm using HTMLHelp (CHMs). Peter made the initial suggestion of looking at the webhelp info on his site so I thought he was saying that the solution would work the same way in HTMLHelp. There doesn't appear to be so from what I can tell thus far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I misled you but I did say "Take a look at the topic but take a view on what is relevant if you are creating CHMs". That was intended to explain the procedures would not be identical in all respects.

I'll leave you with Colum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2007 Nov 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Peter GraingeI'll leave you with Colum.

Just as well you got this sorted yourself. I wouldn't want to be left with me 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody, I have also the same kind of problem for remote linking. I created one project RoboHelp word and when I open the same in RoboHelp Html, I am not able to found the remote topic option which comes generally for linking for the external links.

If anyone knows,,,how to get that option. Please let me know,,I almost strucked here,,,,

Thanks & Regards,
Mr. Struggler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I love your nickname Mr Struggler. LOL! There are times when we all feel that way. Anyway I have posted a response to your other post here. It would be helpful to us all if you didn't post the same query in two places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you misled me so much as I misunderstood, Peter. It's all part of the learning process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I think I see what I was doing wrong. When creating the hyperlink, I was using the "file" selection rather than the "remote topic" selection. Originally, when I tried the "remote topic" selection, I was under the mistaken belief that I could use it only to create a link to the CHM file. I thought this meant I could only create a link to the project's default page and not any of the other pages.

I went through the RoboHelp help files and finally figured out that if I click on the CHM name, I can open a drop down menu and select a specific page within the project to link to. I got it to work in my test projects but I've been configuring and reconfiguring their directory structure quite a bit.

Now to see if I can get it to work the way my production projects are currently configured. If it works out, I'll post back and verify the solution. Thanks, all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. It worked and I didn't have to change the current directory structure nor create a master project devoid of content. Basically, my project consists of five projects...a main project and four projects that are merged into the main. All of the project folders exists on the same directory level.

The key to creating a hyperlink between a topic in one project and a topic in another project is, in the TOC:

Typing the text in the topic that you want to turn into a link
Highlighting that text
Clicking the Hyperlink icon in the toolbar
Next to Link to, click the down arrow and select Remote Topic in the menu
Navigate to the CHM file of the project you want and double click it.
If you get a notification dialog box saying that topic files with spaces may cause remote topic hyperlinks not to work, click OK (in the future, I'll have to create topic file names with no spaces)
In the Select Remote Topic dialog box, select the name of the topic you want to link to and click OK and click OK again.

I know this is pretty elementary for most of you, but I thought that documenting my steps might help out someone like myself who faces the same situation.

Thanks again.

-Trip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting what worked for you. It's going to help someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp