Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Host OS: Linux Mint 17, Mate

VMware 6

Windows XP Home SP2

Opera 11.5

It starts to install then says there is a connection error when there is not. Telling me to just try the same steps over again does not cut it. Either I need to know why the installer thinks there is a connection problem, or I need to be able to install off-line. Actually, the latter would be simpler and preferable. Oh yes, one more thing. I opt out from downloading Google Chrome, just in case that makes a difference.

I need this to run applications that use SWF files for video content within the program. Therefore a browser plugin will not work for these.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Hi,

Please try the offline installer posted at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows page in the 'Still having problems' section.  Unlike the online installer that downloads and installs Flash Player silently in the background this is the full installer and once downloaded doesn't connect back to the internet to download anything additional.

Please do provide us with the previously requested log files as this will help us troubleshoot why the online installer isn't worki

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What browser (including version) are you using the XP SP2 virtual machine?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Host OS: Linux Mint 17, Mate

VMware 6

Windows XP Home SP2

Opera 11.5

The one listed there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry, I over-looked that in your original post.  The connection error could be due to a few different issues. We'll need to obtain some log files to troubleshoot further.  Can you please do the following to obtain the log files:

1. Create an empty text file named ADM.trace inside your %temp% directory (usually C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserID\Local Settings\Temp in XP)
  2. Run the online installer again
  3. After the connection error returns, provide the following log files using the instructions here How to share a document:
    • The ADM.trace file created in step 1
    • The two log files saved at C:\Users\YourUserID\AppData\Local\Temp\Adobe_ADMLogs
  4. Post the URL to the uploaded log files in your reply.

When downloading the file are you saving it locally or do you select 'Run' from the download/save dialog?

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 13:12:14 -0400, m_vargas <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Your reply is blank and doesn't contain any content.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sending the instructions. I have tried both ways, but it still does the same thing. It seems to be fine and starts to install, then suddenly gives the error that there is a connection error. It will not resume and eventually aborts.

I am still having problems signing in when in my Linux OS. It was fine I fixed the password then when I tried logging in later that day, it wouldn’t let me. Now I have to go into the virtual XP in order to post to the forums.

This will be my third fourth attempt to post this message. I do not know what you are using to run your forums, but it does not perform well and doesn’t seem to be compatible with all browsers. It may look nice and modern, but when it comes to a choice between looks and universal utility for my forums, I prefer utility. And really, the old-fashioned appearance really isn’t that bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please try the offline installer posted at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows page in the 'Still having problems' section.  Unlike the online installer that downloads and installs Flash Player silently in the background this is the full installer and once downloaded doesn't connect back to the internet to download anything additional.

Please do provide us with the previously requested log files as this will help us troubleshoot why the online installer isn't working. I've seen several reports recently of the online installer reporting a connection error on XP. I've not been able to reproduce the error and getting the log files will help us troubleshoot why this is happening.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Flash Player installed, but it doesn’t appear on Opera’s plugin list to activate it.

So I gave up on Opera. I realized that the reason I use Opera as my main browser is that it is the only one left with a built-in mail client, and other browsers do not make it easy to transfer email and bookmark settings from Opera. But, on my virtual machine I only use the browser for emergencies and never to read my mail, so I switched to Firefox.

Before you go thinking everything went fine after that, I tried installing the Flash plugin and wound up with the same problem. So I will download the stand-alone plugin for Windows again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Not sure which plugin you installed for Opera, but since you have Opera 11.5 you'll need the NPAPI, not the PPAPI, which is for Opera 28 and newer.  I apologize, I forgot to mention that previously.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the third attempt to post. This time I am using Firefox, not Opera. When I click on Add Reply in Opera, it hangs while loading. Unfortunately, the last time I forgot that I was going to copy my post before attempting to send. Your Auto-save function doesn’t work well either. It also needs to show the time on the auto-saves, not just the date, not that it made any difference. Neither one saved beyond the first sentence. I never have these problems in old-fashioned forums using phpBB, etc.

I just re-installed Opera 11.5 on the virtual XP and compared it to Firefox 39. Both show only the Shockwave Flash plugin installed and active. I checked my Add-Remove Programs list to see if Flash Player was installed. It was and its version number matches the version numbers of the SWF plugins. I thought they were two different applications. It is confusing to have the same thing called and referred to as if they are two separate things.

As for uploading those log files so I can link to them in a post, I now have something wrong with my FTP client which was working fine the last time I used it and none of the settings could have been changed since I haven’t used it for several months. But that is how the past week has been going. I have projects for my new business to work on and all I have been doing is fixing things that shouldn’t have been broken. This isn’t how I planned to spend my vacation from my paying job.

Any way your forums system doesn’t allow file attachments either. Do you have any other method of obtaining the files? Could I email them to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad I cannot also tag this as the correct answer. By the way, the Firefox loaded my reply in a flash. Another reason to prefer Firefox over Opera. Well, the old Opera any way. There are other reasons to prefer Firefox over the new Opera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Opera 11.5 is almost 4 years and no longer supported.  Newer technology isn't going to work well with a browser that old.

Forums don't accept attachments due to security reasons.  You can upload the log files using the instructions here How to share a document.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have uploaded the files.

Unfortunately, they upgraded the technology, but then made it so no one could customize to do away with unneeded/annoying features or changing features such as search engines. On top of that, while Opera finally re-issued their browser for Linux, it no longer has a mail client and their built in mail client was the only one that would work on Linux. Event Thunderbird was not as good. I guess I could use Opera just to access my mail and use Firefox for browsing, but there is no easy way to transfer Bookmarks, etc. You’d think with all this fancy technology, they would make it easy to do that. So I guess I’m just stuck until someone creates a browser that makes it easy to transfer and has a built in mail client, or at least a good stand alone client, for Linux. Who ever does that I will get that even if I have to pay for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please post the link to the uploaded files.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don’t know why copy link address doesn’t show up on Firefox’s context menu, but here is the link to the page with the files: https://cloud.acrobat.com/folder/85a90908-b54b-4600-923f-bb553fa35a2f

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines