• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File name

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2007 Nov 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the limit for the number of characters that we can place in file name?
because we have to place very long, specific files names to identify the files correctly.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 30, 2007 Nov 30, 2007
Hi Rebuild Team and welcome to the RH forums.

I stand to be corrected here but I believe the only limit in file names is the OS limit. That said, long file names in RH can cause some usability issues (e.g. when linking) so I'd strongly recommend you keep the file names as short as possible.

Just how long were you thinking of anyway? Could you not use abbreviated file names (e.g. FN1.htm for file_name_1.htm).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rebuild Team and welcome to the RH forums.

I stand to be corrected here but I believe the only limit in file names is the OS limit. That said, long file names in RH can cause some usability issues (e.g. when linking) so I'd strongly recommend you keep the file names as short as possible.

Just how long were you thinking of anyway? Could you not use abbreviated file names (e.g. FN1.htm for file_name_1.htm).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, we have a few with 20+ characters. We have a lot of of similar files and have to be very specific. We knew that there would be issues, and wanted to see if anyone had determined the "magic number" of characters.
Thanks for the quick response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possible reason for long file names: Being specific in file names is important for projects that need to be localized, especially if topic titles are similar. I inherited a project that we are localizing, and the original author had created all topics with the file name the same as the topic title (just with underscores). It makes for some long file names (the longest is 66 characters, including the .htm extension), but with the localized versions of the project, the file name is the only way I can tell which is which. Three characters wouldn't tell me anything about what's in the file. (In another project that is being localized, I don't have any file names nearly that long, but I still have to be specific enough to know one topic from another when I can't read the content.)

I haven't yet seen any problems on Windows XP with a file name 66 characters long--not that I would recommend that many...

--Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experts, correct me if I'm wrong, but the character limit includes the entire path, not just the filename. If your folder structure goes deep, then you are more likely to run afoul of the 255-character limit.

I encountered this myself a few years back. The way it played out was like this: I created a topic in RH named SomeReallyLongTopic.htm. It looked fine. However, when I next opened RH, that topic showed as a broken link. Checking in Windows, I saw that the filename had been truncated to SomeReallyLo.htm. RoboHelp was looking for the original name, while Windows was enforcing the character limit - not a compatible situation. As expected, shortening the filenames solved the problem.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
A quick Google points to many pages that indicate the limit of 255 is a Windows thing. Microsoft have posted a good workaround though. Ready for it? Yup, use less than 256 characters. Now that's what I call support. How would we manage without tips like that?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp