• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is rhpost and rhpre?

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2007 Dec 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two MS-DOS program shortcuts called rhpost and rhpre that exist in my RH projects. I am trying to delete the directories they are in to move some files around and to/from a network location. When I try to move the folders I get a message saying that folder is not empty and can't be moved. I check the folder and everything has been moved except these files. When I try to delete them I get an error message saying "Cannot delete rhpost: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

What are these files? What is rhpost.bat? How can I delete them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 05, 2007 Dec 05, 2007
If that is all that is in them I wouldn't have thought they are used anymore and you can safely remove any reference to them from the truecode. You haven't said what output you currently use but if it is not Winhelp these blighters probably got brought in when the project was converted. Take a backup before you try anything.

BTW you are right to only store your source files on a network and work on them locally. The reason I asked was exactly what you say, whether there was some network permiss...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they are .bat fies then chances are they are legacy batch files created at some pount in the past and added to the project. Have you done a find throughout all your project files to see if they are still referenced somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they were used in past projects and then carried over to new projects.

What is the RHPOST.BAT file used for and is it safe to delete?

I can't delete the folders the shortcuts are in since Windows still says that Access is denied. I am trying to clean up and remove some old project folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe these files are not standard RH files and may be user specific batch files created for a specific process at your site. Therefore I can't answer whether you can delete them. Do a find for the file name throughout your entire project using a find and replace tool. Only then will you be able to see what is using these files and whether it is safe to delete them. If you still can't delete them, have a word with your administrator to get access.

Just as an aside, these files aren't on a network drive are they? If so, move them to a local drive immediately. By all means back up source files to a network but NEVER work on them there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I searched all my projects and you are right in that it is a legacy file. It looks like it was used during when RH was still owned by Blue Sky. The only commands in there are ECHO OFF statements, a MD command for a winhelp 4 directory, and a copy command to copy a HLP file to the directory just created.

That still doesn't explain why these files are shown as in use.

I stored the projects on the network but never worked from them while they were on the network. I didn't want to trash them but wanted them just in case I needed them down the road. I checked the processes that are running and don't see the batch file running. Is it a network permission issue for BAT files as to why I can't delete the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2007 Dec 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
If that is all that is in them I wouldn't have thought they are used anymore and you can safely remove any reference to them from the truecode. You haven't said what output you currently use but if it is not Winhelp these blighters probably got brought in when the project was converted. Take a backup before you try anything.

BTW you are right to only store your source files on a network and work on them locally. The reason I asked was exactly what you say, whether there was some network permission. If your RH code is referencing the files, this is why you can't delete them. Delete them from the source and you should find you can delete them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp