• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

URGENT - Robohelp Decompile with KeyTools Issue

New Here ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a publication done in Help & Manual (mh3) comprising parent and child projects. My goal is to convert the publication to Robohelp 11. I exported the master file of this publication to HTML Help, the result being a chm file. When decompiled this chm file with Key Tools, I got a multitude of folders. One of the folders contains a master hhp file, which I opened in Robohelp 11, thus creating an xpj file. (This xpj file generates Responsive output with all the cross-links intact (as per the original Help & Manual master file)). My challenge is that the xpj file is reliant upon all of the folders that were created as a result of the de-compilation process via Key Tools. Deleting any of these folders results in content being removed from the publication. I need to prune out the unnecessary folders, as - from a practical standpoint - it is impossible to work with so many folders. How can I reduce this folder structure to just one self-contained folder?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here is the folder structure:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Likely you have far fewer actual folders than you think. I might think you could easily clobber anything with TMP in the name, as it's likely temporary and not really used.

Personally, I'd start with that, recompile and see if everything still seems to be intact. My guess is that you will be surprised that it is.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

The hhp master file is in one of the temp files (7zO3A40.tmp), along with pictures.  Deleting the other temp files has resulted in missing content in the publication. Even deleting folders that are empty results in content being deleted from the publication. Somehow the master file seems to live parasitically off of all the folders. Is there anything I could perhaps save the xpj file as so that I may end up with just one folder (but there is no "Save as" option in Robohelp 11...)? Thanks.

Gabriela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you would like to try using the chm file to reverse engineer a RH project – check out Peter Grainge’s site (grainge.org) & Willam’s (wvanweelden.eu) for info on the subject

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, thanks for your reply. The multitude of files is actually the result of the reverse engineering method...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I just tried the KeyTools method on some random chm that someone sent me & I don’t get anywhere near the same sort of mess that you’ve got. I’d suggest trying it again or looking at Willam’s paid help to recover better results than what you got.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you try decompiling with the hh.exe? That avoids keytools and perhaps will work.

My recovery scripts use either the hh.exe or Keytools. So if you get a mess from Keytools AND hh.exe, it will be hard to recover from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp