Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Firefox launches 2 windows for webhelp

Dec 03, 2007 Dec 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each time webhelp is launched I get an empty window and then the correct Help window. The address shown in the first empty window's address bar is to the correct folder on the Help server

with the following added for context-sensitive help:
whcsh_home.htm#id=131076%3E%3Ewnd=CS_Remote

or when help is called from the Help menu:
whcsh_home.htm#cmd=toc%3E%3Ewnd=Main_Remote

Then the correct page launches in another window.

This does not happen with IE.

Any ideas?

Jeanne

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 04, 2007 Dec 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeanne -

Sounds like you are calling the "wrong" start file. When you generate the project the opening window asks for (or assigns) a Start Page name (Select Output Folder and Start Page). That file is escentially a "container" that defines the layout - it does not contain your "content" (it is not a Topic). Give it a name - we use "index.htm" for our start file and leave the path at RH default. Then assign the Default Topic, which has content - we default to "Introduction".

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're calling the correct start page as defined in the layout properties (ours is MM7Help.htm).

I looked into this further:
Uing IE as the default browser, the same page (whcsh_home.html) is also called first, (look at the history) but the window content is immediately replaced with the Help topic content, so only one window opens.
The problem seems to be that Firefox is not replacing the content of the first window, it is instead leaving it alone and opening a new window.

Jeanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeanne -

"I see" said the blind man (as he picked up his hammer and saw).

Try doing a search of this and the General forums as this situation sure sounds familiar.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 05, 2007 Dec 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Firefox Tools/Options/Tabs dialog, what is your setting for "New pages should be opened in . . ." ? "a new window" or "a new tab"?

Also, "When I link in a new tab, switch to it immediately" -- checked or unchecked?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 05, 2007 Dec 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Harvey,

I had the same idea at first.

I tried all possible combinations of these and get the same result each time.

Thanks,
Jeanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp