Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH11: Restart Numbering Not Working

Explorer ,
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More RH issues:

When I have two (or more) numbered lists in the same topic, numbering continues from one list to the next - instead of restarting at 1. Even when I access the Bullets and Numbering dialog box, select the Restart numbering at checkbox, and set the value to 1 - nothing changes. The numbering still continues from the previous numbered list (defined as a paragraph style).

Is this a know bug? Are there any work-arounds?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 09, 2015 May 09, 2015

After scouring the HTML of topics that have correct renumbering, I found the solution:

<?rh-list_start start="1" level="1" an="1" class="rl-p-LiNum" style="list-style: rh-list;

list-style: rh-list;" ?><p class="LiNum">Click Add Filter.</p><?rh-list_end ?>

The start="1" attribute does the trick. I just don't understand why using the Bullets and Numbering dialog box didn't add the attribute.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the trick is to right click in the first item of the second list and restart the numbering from there.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your prompt answer.

But as I wrote in my original post, I DO access the Bullets and Numbering dialog box (forgot to mention the right-click, my bad), which enables me to type a new value in the Restart at numbering field. But when I then click OK, the dialog box closes and one of the following occurs:

1. The number of the first step remains unchanged, that is it still continues from the previous list.
  2. The number completely disappears from the first step, which causes me to reapply the style - again with number continued from the previous list.

I'm using a paragraph style that I created that is defined using Autonumber.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any other help on this is GREATLY appreciated. I really need to finish the topic and move on.

The topic has three separate procedures (paragraph style numbered lists), each connected to the others, so if broke them into separate topics they would lose context. But I cannot leave them as they now appear, with numbering continuing from one procedure to the next.

Just to play around, I even created another style (with format identical to the first) and applied it to the second procedure. It worked but then the numbering of the third procedure continued where the first procedure left off. I'm not about to create a third style. It will never end.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just played around with this and am seeing the same issue – I think the problem is that if you try to use a paragraph-type style of list, it keeps on wanting to continue the numbering. When it set up 2 separate lists and defined a list-type style, then it would behave and I would get the second list of items to be restarting at 1 each time. My suspicion is that to force the paragraph-type to behave, you would need to define a restart at 1 style and a second continue numbering from 2 onwards type of style. That might be possible by adding some sort of “x=1” coding in the formatting field in the style definition where it wants to use “.” (hopefully the angle brackets won’t get stripped from around the x)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but the only reason I went to paragraph styles was because list styles would not format correctly. For example, a list (bullet or numbered) after a Normal style would line up fine but the same style would have a different indent when it followed another style (not Normal). I opened another thread for this one:

RH11 Driving Me Crazy

When I showed that to another writer in my company who has more RH experience, he suggested sticking to paragraph styles. And he also could not figure out the restart number problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I control all that in the CSS – what appears in the Design view of a topic doesn’t impact what it’s going to look like in the finished product as long as it has proper styles attached to the text (and not in-line styles, which will muck up everything when you try to adjust it in the CSS).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2015 May 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After scouring the HTML of topics that have correct renumbering, I found the solution:

<?rh-list_start start="1" level="1" an="1" class="rl-p-LiNum" style="list-style: rh-list;

list-style: rh-list;" ?><p class="LiNum">Click Add Filter.</p><?rh-list_end ?>

The start="1" attribute does the trick. I just don't understand why using the Bullets and Numbering dialog box didn't add the attribute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An easier way to restart the numbering is to right click in the paragraph you want to restart as 1. Select "List Style" which displays the "Select List Style" dialog box. Check the "Restart Numbering At:" box and set the number to 1.

The resulting html code is similar to what you showed: <?rh-list_start level="1" an="1" class="rl-p-Numbering" start="1" ?>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay but this issue popped up again with a new colleague. Please look at my original post - the Restart Numbering At field in the Bullets and Numbering dialog box DID NOT make the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it looks like you are using multi-level lists for numbering, you should see List Style as an option in the right-click menu. Try reseting the numbering using this option instead of the usual Bullets and Numbering option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Amebr had the correct answer. I was wrestling with this very problem today and using the List Style option in the right-click menu does work. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp