• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player install plus unwanted adware.

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed the update for flash player and to my surprise it came with a bunch of adware and other software piggy bagging with it that automatically installed with the player.

It also had my Safari search page highjacked by Yahoo.

What is up with this Adobe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Unfortunately, you got tricked into downloading a fake Flash Player installer.  Because of Flash Player's ubiquity, it's a popular target for impersonation by malware authors.

Please always download software directly from the manufacturer, and/or opt-in to automatic updates:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer

In terms of cleaning up the mess, it depends on your paranoia level and what you do with the machine.  If it was my personal machine, I'd back up my important files, wipe the disk and reinstall

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GabyRV66,

Installing Flash Player does not install any Yahoo products, nor does it change the search engine from whatever a user has to Yahoo search.  What is the URL that you used to download the installer from?  What is the name of the installer file you used to install Flash Player?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted it. But it came up when I tried to watch something online and a message popped up saying I need to install it. When I clicked on it it took me to the Adobe site where I click to download the installer. Not sure how it happened but after that was installed I got all the "other" stuff and my browser search page was now yahoo search which I never have used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 10, 2015 May 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you get an adware - use free tools like malwarebytes or adwcleaner.

I have malwarebytes it helped me recently with BestAdBlocker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2015 May 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'am using BestAdBlocker, goog idea for ads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, you got tricked into downloading a fake Flash Player installer.  Because of Flash Player's ubiquity, it's a popular target for impersonation by malware authors.

Please always download software directly from the manufacturer, and/or opt-in to automatic updates:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer

In terms of cleaning up the mess, it depends on your paranoia level and what you do with the machine.  If it was my personal machine, I'd back up my important files, wipe the disk and reinstall everything from pristine sources.  If it's just the machine that you goof around with Facebook on, you might opt for a good anti-virus and anti-malware scan, and/or restore from a backup before you downloaded the fake installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines