Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP: Premiere Pro CC not using all CPU and RAM during rendering and export

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2013 Sep 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using Premiere Pro CC on a Windows 7. My timeline is quite simple with two videos, one with the movie (mpeg) and the other with the subtitles (avi).

When I render the sequence in PP or export, the rendering time is way too slow and it only uses around 15-20% of the CPU and 3 GB of RAM.

My hardware config is :

- CPU : i7-4770k 3.50Ghz

- RAM : 8 GB

- Disk : 2 x 3 TB SATA (no raid)

RAM is not the bottleneck, neither the disk access.

I have tried rendering and exporting the same project on an iMac (with an i5 2.7 Ghz and 4 GB RAM and only 1 disk) and the result is 4x faster !!!

The CPU usage is close to 100% as well as RAM usage.

So how come PP uses all resources availble on an iMac and not on a Windows 7 ?

Is there any known bug or software bottleneck on Windows 7 ?

My machine is brand new and nothing much installed besides Adobe products.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If export for the exact same project with the exact same settings takes less time on one machine than another, it's most likely because of the capabilities of that machine as a whole.  CPU and RAM are just part of the picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

But I don't understand why my Windows PC that has better hardware (CPU, RAM and disks) has slower encoding speed than my Mac.

Also, I installed CS4 on the same machine and tested with the same project and the export encoding took only 15 minutes compared to 2 hours with CC !

I therefore doubt that it is simply a hardware issue here.

For some reasons CC is not able to encode as fast as CS4...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the settings.  Is Max Render Quality checked?  That can drastically slow things down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2013 Sep 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Max rendre quality is not checked.

I tested with exactly the same export settings in both CS4 and CC.

After further testing, it seems that the problem is the "BI_RGB Raw Bitmap" (avi) format of the source file.

CS4 decodes it very fast but CC seems to have trouble for decoding this format.

For example, if I just do a simple transcode of the avi file (RGB Raw Bitmap) in AME, CC takes more than an hour while CS4 takes only 10 minutes.

So I guess there is some problem with CC in handling avi (RGB Raw Bitmap) format ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, my avi file includes an alpha channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know.  This would be the first I've heard of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2013 Dec 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue with CS6. Rendering effects in the work area (Circle effect, opacity) make the computer run at 97% CPU (it's a core i5 with 8GB memory). Exporting a 6 minute section of HDV source (1440x1080) to flash @ 1280 x 720 runs only ~40% CPU, and various individual processor core levels, i.e. for about the first half of the export only one CPU core was running above ~60%, and the others were all about 20-30%. When it was about 2/3 of the way through, the overall CPU usage is ~30%, core 0 is about 40%, core 1 is the same, core 2 is about 10% and core 3 is about 60%. Now it's about 90% complete, and the overall CPU is 58%, with cores 0, 1, and 3 are running at 80% and core 2 is 20%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2014 Feb 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is definitely something odd happening in premiere CC and render times. It's way too slow and barely uses the CPU. I have a 6 core system, titan card, 64 gigs of ram  and 3 separate raid disk arrays (each sustaining 700 Megs read/write). When I load some 5K red footage (.r3d) and render it out with no effects to an avi' premiere cc will take for example 2 hours to render...because it only uses 18% of my cpu cores and like 9 gigs of ram....I take that same exact clip in after effect and render it out and AE will use all my cores to 98% and 35gigs of ram and spit it out in 21 minutes..... What is premiere CC doing and why is it not taking advantage of my cpu/ram/system resource like AE? That same clip in premiere cs6 also uses all my cores and renders much faster....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2015 Mar 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same experience here. Any update on your ur situation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay, I don't know if anyone answer this question. But Damn, I was going into the same rabbit hole myself. except that I have taken a Graphics Class and remember that we require a lot of RAM to execute vector math. It donged on me that I needed more cores to render faster. Yes, I do but I also need more ram.  So I have 8gb of ram and Ryzen 9 and thought lets compare asus strix ryzen 7 vs 9 and could do a straight comparison. So I bought a ryzen 9 ready series 400 mother board and ran them. Asus Radeon 480 vs Radeon Rx Vega.  so for the ryzen  7, while rendering a 4:44 time line ~9 min and ~ 2 min for the ryzen 9.  I thought, Wow! now we are talking! However, since I have done benchmarking for AMD and IBM back in the days of the RS6000. My comparison was not apples to apples or fair so I ran the benchmark on my 400 serious mother board and found that with Radeon vega  Graphics I got sub 2s withe the Radean 480 I got sub 10s (minutest). So what do we conclude?  We conclude that rendering and possibly all Adobe products use the GPU and the APU cores.  So no matter what you have, if you GPU card does not have the RAM nor the GPU capability, you are going to wait a while to see if you movie render is okay. That can be annoying as I have had to wait a long time only to find that I miss spelled a word.  There you have it fellows. Happy Rendering if you have a nice video card with a lot of memory and lots screaming and cursing if you do not. I can't believe the Adobe Premiere engineers could answer this one. Furthermore. I believe that if they gave us and option to switch from CPU cores and DDRAM to GPU we could choose what is faster for us. In the Case of ASUS laptop the GPU and DDRAM is not exchangeble so it is what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sucks... Question, are we all queuing to Adobe Media Encoder? Or exporting directly from Prem CC?
I noticed that when doing that you could specify either CUDA rendering or Software based. For my setup (Quad core i7 4770 + GTX 750Ti 2GB + 8GB DDR3 RAM) I managed to get my cores maxed out when in software mode taking 25mins for a 4minute 2-pass VBR 1080p mp4 (With Maximum rendering turned on), which came down to ~12mins when switched to CUDA, but only about ~25-33% CPU usage.

Note: haven't tried rendering in CS6..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, just tried running a CUDA based BitCoin miner at the same time maxing out my GPU.. No real change in render times/mining performance..?

So personally I think CUDA Is being used fairly minimally..

Which begs the question as to why the CPU isn't being utilised more..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2014 Aug 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just rendered out a a 2 minute sequence with about 100 clips in it and Colorista effects on everything to the Vimeo 1080 H264 preset. It took about 5 minutes to render straight from Premiere, it used all the recourses it could, my CPU was running at near %100, same with my ram and GPU, I was happy.

Then I did another render with Red Giant Denoiser and it now wants to take 30 mins and it is only using about %20 of the recourses available. My problem isn't that its taking longer with Denoiser but that its not using all of my computers CPU and GPU.

Im rendering at maximum render quality and bit dept to H264 (Im happy to wait the extra time), if I try to use VRB 2 it encodes 1 pass at a time and wants to take up to 40 minutes.

I would appreciate some advice on this.

Premiere Pro CC 2013

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB (CUDA GPU enabled in Premiere)

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2014 Aug 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit of an old topic, but still the problem persists, I have both CS6 and CC 2014 on my PC, the exact same pproj file, same source, same hardware, CS6 in about 4-5 times faster than CC which for some reason only uses about 20-30% of my PC. Started encoding a video in CC's Media Encoder, 1080p @ 25fps 4hrs and 34min long. The encode is taking 3 days now. Just tried to do it in CS6, finished in 9hrs... Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone ever solve this?

I have gone from CS6 to CC14 having built a new machine.

I7 6x3.5ghz core

32g ram

2x760 graphics cards mated together

X99 mother board.

Render times are about 70% slower if not in CC14 and CPU usuage never goes above 10% - if I re install CS6 on new machine its super fast. Why is CC14 unable to use the power my machine has?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought a new laptop i7 7700HQ, 16G RAM, 500G SSD. I installed CC Premium Pro and I'm experiencing a similar problem rendering on a only a fraction of the available CPU.

I have solved my problem. I found that, when running on battery, the power settings restricted CPU to 20%, which is what I was getting. I simply plugged in the power supply and within 30 seconds, the CPU was up to 80%.

I make this post because it may help others but it does raise the thought that maybe the lack of utilisation of CPU may not always be an issue with Premium Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same issues on a 2013 mac pro. I'm rendering out a 60sec spot from Premiere at the moment that is mainly an AE comp dynamically linked. It's taken 40mins so far! CPU usage is around 10%

I'm rendering previews from Premiere + Cache and conformed media from AE to a RAID0 array. Media is on a seperate RAID0 array. System, drive is an SSD. Each drive can sustain at least 600mbps Therefore I think I can pretty confidently say it's not a HDD bottleneck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done some testing. What i've noticed is that any codec that uses the AdobeQuicktime32 service cripples the PC. toneproductions‌ Since you're on a mac, i'm not sure what it could be for you. Is your AE comp using a lot of image sequences? That will bottleneck your RAID for sure. Also i found that rendering from my RAID0 (footage) to an SSD (render output) results in doubled performance as when trying to read and write to the RAID was creating a bottle neck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got nearly same issue.

I was using i5 3570 when I m rendering and CPU usage was %90-100. I upgrade my CPU to i7 3770 and usage decrease %30-60 (Premiere CC)

I found it in the internet. I tried this but doesn't work for me. Maybe it could be usefull for you.:

Premiere Pro not using 100% CPU when encoding? on Vimeo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2015 May 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Have a very fast PC but very slow render times...

This is a total drag!!!

Has this been adressed?

ADOBE SUPPORT PLEASE! This is no how a professional NLE is supposed to run!

Only using 37 % of CPU and RAM...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that rendering through Adobe Media Encoder instead of directly through Premiere uses almost 100% of CPU every time! Also, choosing a good codec like Lagarith or Cineform plays a role in render time too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KlokwerksVideo - Do you mean 'exporting' through AME?  Yes, this is faster but unreliable when you have AE comps within your Premiere Sequence. At least in my experience! I get missing media/Media offline errors for my AE comps when I do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

toneproductions wrote:

KlokwerksVideo - Do you mean 'exporting' through AME?  Yes, this is faster but unreliable when you have AE comps within your Premiere Sequence. At least in my experience! I get missing media/Media offline errors for my AE comps when I do this.

You know what's interesting? I had a similar issue yesterday while using AE comps in premiere. The motion blur was not applying when rendering through AME from the Premiere project. It did work however to export from Premiere. This is very strange and should probably be elevated to Adobe. Otherwise, AME almost always renders faster than strait from Premiere. Lately, I have been outputting all my final renders in Cineform or Lagarith, then doing all my sub-versioning from there be it H264, WebM, PhotoJPEG other because they can output simultaneously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What settings would you recommend? I use h264 2pass. And it takes ages. To be honest don't know what else to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines