• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems Signing fillable form with DC version....

Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a W-9 I'm trying to sign but I can't figure it out... When I click "fill and sign" it says "this form does not let you drag and drop"... what does this mean?? I used to be able to draw a signature in the previous version easily, but I can't find that option anywhere. I also tried to save a copy and use that but it still won't let me use "fill and sign".

So how the heck do I draw my signature? Or was this functionality taken away?

Best,

L

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It probably has to do with the type of form it is. Most W9s that I've come across are XFA forms created by LiveCycle Designer that have been Reader-enabled. Such forms are restricted in what's sort of edits are allowed in Acrobat/Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I'm using the same W-9 PDF I was able to sign in the old version of Acrobat Pro... so why would it be different with the DC update?

So is there no way to make a signature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a link to the form so we can test it out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having exactly the same problem with a form created from Microsoft Word with Acrobat Pro. I am new to Acrobat Pro and this is the 1st time I have created a PDF with fillable fields. For some reason this will not let a signature be drawn, which is the main reason I am using it (so I can get patients to sign medical consent forms).

There is a link if needed to the file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ac85lpfxekklmq3/e-Consent%20form%20for%20OHA%20and%20OHP%20appointments%20...

Any help is much appreciated,

Kind regards

Owen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Signature fields are for digital certificate signatures not hand written or finger written signatures.

Do the employees have digital certificates that can be used with PDF forms?

Do you know what the legal requirements are for signatures on this form?

The IRS form you are trying to replace with a company specific form has a warning about being subject to perjury for false statements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What all of us in this thread want to do is place and "Electronic Signature" on a prefiled "Fillable" PDF Form.

What you say is true that "Signature Fields" are for digital certificate signatures not hand written or finger written signatures."

For this reason for what we are trying to do we would not create a "Signature Field" because having a "Signature Field" on the

document does not meet the requirements of what we desire to do, which is not to sign with a Digital Signature, but to sign with

a scanned copy of our handwritten signature which we would drag and drop on the signature line of the form. 

This worked perfectly with Adobe Acrobat Pro XI, and appears to me to be a "bug" in Acrobat Pro DC which will cause me to

"downgrade" to Acrobat XI if it is not fixed soon, as this worked perfectly with that version.

Do the employees have digital certificates that can be used with PDF forms?

Do you know what the legal requirements are for signatures on this form?

The IRS form you are trying to replace with a company specific form has a warning about being subject to perjury for false statements.

The other three statements are meaningless for what we are trying to do. 

The "employees" or signers do not have nor need to have nor want to have digital certificates to sign an IRS W-9 Form.

There are no legal requirements for signatures on the forms we are talking about, other than being the person whose signature is purpoted to be on the document.

In the case of the IRS form W-9 that the original poster wants to sign (I may have missed something but I saw no indication he wanted to replace it with a company form... simply wanted to sign it), what relevance the warning about being subject to perjury for false statements has to anything is unclear.  The same warning would be there is you print out the form and signed it with a pen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to read the certification section of the W-9 form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens with every form fillable pdf. I just did a test and upgraded my XI Pro to DC Pro and it prevents me from signing form fillable PDF's that I created. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can sign the forms with a digital certificate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it was only my signature that would work but we can have 100 applicants per month filling out applications, digital signatures will not work. Again, this worked with XI last week and now it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it works with Acrobat Reader XI. In the current version of Acrobat Reader XI this feature was removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like it was removed in Acrobat Pro DC also. I can't sign any of our fillable forms with Pro. Frustrating..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Design for Life wrote:

It looks like it was removed in Acrobat Pro DC also. I can't sign any of our fillable forms with Pro. Frustrating..

‌You can sign the forms with a digital certificate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital certificates won't work. Here's the scenario:

I am employed at a place. They send me via email a blank W9 form. They want me to print it, sign it, scan it back in, then email it back to them.

I would rather not print something just to sign it and scan it back in.

The place at which I am employed doesn't want a digital certificate from me. They want to see my signature, like I wrote it on a piece of paper by hand. They wouldn't know what to do with a digital certificate!

I'm just trying to save a little paper and time. It used to work on the older version of the program and now it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seriously adobe have F'd this up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having The same problem.  I've actually had nothing but problems with Pro DC.  when it works it is great but these kinds of issues make it totally suck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of us in the discussion do not want to and will not use a Digital Signature because it does not meet out requirements.

You cite this person or entity "Design for Life" as an authority who says "it looks like it was removed".  There is no evidence that is true!

He (whoever he is) may "think" that because it doesn't work anymore, but before I would tell people it has been removed I would

want an authority from Adobe to state that in writing.  Moreover the Help Files for Adobe Acrobat DC specifically state that you CAN

use an image (i.e. scanned signature) to sign documents.

https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/how-to/fill-sign-pdf-forms-electronically.html?trackingid=KRRUO&DTPr...

But it doesn't work.  Thus it is not that it has been removed, but it is a bug.

I found that I can sign my Electric Bill with my Scanned Signature using Fill and Sign... who anyone would want to sign their electric bill

escapes me, but Fill and Sign works as advertised to do that... just not in Fillable PDF Forms.

If it can't or won't be fixed, the solution is not to try to force us to use Digital Signatures, which do not meet our needs and which we won't do.

The solution as provided by Adobe is to get back Acrobat Pro XI and trash DC.

See how here.

Acrobat DC uninstalled Acrobat XI | How to get Acrobat XI back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2015 May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was just confirmed with support that it is a bug in Acrobat DC and Reader DC. The only option is to uninstall DC and install XI. You can print/save the form then insert your signature once the pdf has been flattened. Obviously this is not the preferred method but will work. For me I will be uninstall both versions of DC and going back to XI.

I used Dave's link for the steps to uninstall Acrobat Pro DC and go back to XI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dude..................we know............but in certain industries THAT DOES NOT HELP! This kinda development without consultation to their customers causes major small to medium business headaches!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with the W-9 and W-4 forms. The document properties even say that signing is allowed, according to the document restrictions summary, and viewing the document extensions shows that digital signing is allowed, but Adobe Acrobat Reader DC isn't giving the digital signing option. Sign Document is greyed out in the Signatures button.

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I'm finding it incredibly irritating that I have to print the form, sign it, then scan it in as a pdf. This is so stupid.

Adobe, this used to work so well, what are you doing??????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I"m having the same problem with our Fillable Employee Application Forms. This worked without issues with Reader XI. Please provide us a resolution to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest all report this as bug in Reader/Acrobat DC. Adobe can either fix it or explain how to work around it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2015 May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here....bah.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines