16 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2015 11:58 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere elements 13 mute track

wardv33151250

In Adobe Premiere Elements 13 I would like to mute the audio of a complete track. How can this be done?

When using the audio mixer it only adjusts the volume of the clip which is selected by the time indicator.

The only way I have found to solve this is to mute each clip individually. In other versions of premiere there was / is the option to mute a complete track at the left hand side of the track, this option is not present in Elements 13.

Hopefully there is an easier way to mute an entire track. Can you provide help?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Premiere elements 13 mute track
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you open the Audio Mixer (under Tools) you will find controls for setting the levels of your audio track.

As I show you in my book, if you set these sliders while playing your video, it will create keyframes that vary the levels of your audio on each track.

If you set the slider (say, all the down to zero) for a track when your video is not playing, the level of the track will be set overall.

• 2. Re: Premiere elements 13 mute track
            A.T. Romano Level 7

wardv

In using the Audio Mixer for muting the current Timeline audio track content, I have found that just setting the Audio Mixer slider to its lowest setting for a track before playing the clip, does not result in muting the sound for that track after the Audio Mixer is closed.

I can do that however, if while in the Audio Mixer (Timeline line content not playing)

(a) I open the Audio Mixer and drag the Audio Mixer slider to its lowest setting

(b) But, I need to hold down on that slider set all through the playback of the whole Timeline content.

(c) When the playback is finished and the Audio Mixer is closed, each of the audio clips will have no sound. But each audio clip addition to that Timeline moving forward will have sound on that track.

So, I have not "muted" that Timeline audio track, but rather just the Timeline content during the Audio Mixer maneuver.

Please review and consider, and then let me know if I am overlooked something here.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere elements 13 mute track
              wardv33151250 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I have tried your suggestion. However somehow step (b) does not work. Once in a while the slider jumps back to the original setting '0'.Besides the above mentioned, this still feels like a workaround. I would expect that there is an easier way to this.

The purpose of wanting to mute the track is the following (this is the way how I used it in other Premiere versions).I hardly use any of the audio of the clips in my video. However there are a few clips of which I want to use the audio. Therefore I want to keep the audio of the clips and not remove it.For the clips of which I want audio enabled, I unlink video and audio and put the audio on a different track (or both video and audio on a different track). In this way I can very easily manage the audio of the clips.However the above does not function in Premiere Elements 13, therefore I am looking for an easy to use alternative.

Thanks,wardv

• 4. Re: Premiere elements 13 mute track

Have you tried my suggestion, Ward? There's even an option on the Audio Mixer to simply mute any track.

• 5. Re: Premiere elements 13 mute track
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

wardv

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the use of the Premiere Elements Audio Mixer....

a. I have not found a whole Timeline "audio track" to be muted with the Audio Mixer. What I have found to be muted under the function of Audio Mixer are the selected Timeline audio clips on that Timeline. Focus track versus track content and details of Audio Mixer function. And, I have observed that Audio Mixer "muted" option targets shutting down the sound for one or more "whole audio tracks" as others audio track volumes are being adjusted in the Audio Mixer. Once the playback is stopped and the Audio Mixer closed, the Expert workspace Timeline audio track that was "muted" in the opened Audio Mixer will have its full sound. And, if I open the Audio Mixer to adjust the audio tracks comparative Audio 1, 2, 3 volumes, the volume that I had set for Audio 3 will be as you left it, put "muted" Audio 1 and 2 "mute buttons" will present without the check mark.

What I suggested that you try was indeed a workaround for an non existent button to shutdown a whole track's audio in the Expert workspace Timeline whether or not you use the Audio Mixer in the goal.

I have not found the following to work as it is written

If you set the slider (say, all the down to zero) for a track when your video is not playing, the level of the track will be set overall.

In Premiere Elements 13/13.1

a. If I have 2 music files on Audio Track 1, open the Audio Mixer, set Audio Track 1 volume to bottom level (no sound), and then begin Timeline playback, the result will be the same whether or not the clips are selected on the Timeline....when the playback is stopped and the Audio Mixer closed, the first clip will have no sound and the second clip will have its sound as will any audio clips subsequently added to the Audio Track 1.

What worked for me was as I described...workaround

I can do that however, if while in the Audio Mixer (Timeline line content not playing)

(a) I open the Audio Mixer and drag the Audio Mixer slider to its lowest setting

(b) But, I need to hold down on that slider set all through the playback of the whole Timeline content.

(c) When the playback is finished and the Audio Mixer is closed, each of the audio clips will have no sound. But each audio clip addition to that Timeline moving forward will have sound on that track.

Please consider trying "b" again. If you are holding down on that slider set to no sound for the entire Timeline duration, there should be no way for the slider to move to something else. Where you holding down on the Audio Mixer slider all the time during that playback?

Please review and consider. I will continue to look at this to assure that I am not overlooking a key.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere elements 13 mute track
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

wardv

After my long reply in 5 which got caught up in the Audio Mixer, I re-read what you wrote about your intent in this matter. And, I have some non Audio Mixer thoughts about this.

The purpose of wanting to mute the track is the following (this is the way how I used it in other Premiere versions).I hardly use any of the audio of the clips in my video. However there are a few clips of which I want to use the audio. Therefore I want to keep the audio of the clips and not remove it.For the clips of which I want audio enabled, I unlink video and audio and put the audio on a different track (or both video and audio on a different track). In this way I can very easily manage the audio of the clips.However the above does not function in Premiere Elements 13, therefore I am looking for an easy to use alternative.

a. What other Premiere versions did you use where you achieved you goal without issue? What worked in others should achieve this goal in 13/13.1.

b. What is stopping you from doing the following

......Right click the video audio file, select Unlink Audio and Video

......Then right click the audio and remove the check mark next to Enable

......Place your new audio on an Audio Track to cover the duration of the video that was unlinked from its audio which still remain but is disabled?

Disabled clips can be easily seen by their gray Timeline presence.

Please let me know if I have interpreted what you would like to do.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere elements 13 mute track
                      wardv33151250 Level 1

Hi Steve,

I have tried your suggestion. Using the slider does not work, even when not playing video the setting is only applied to the selected clip (selected by time indicator).I also tried the mute option and this indeed mutes the complete track. This solves my issue.

Thanks!Regards, wardv

• 8. Re: Premiere elements 13 mute track
                        wardv33151250 Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for your suggestions, these indeed will work. However this requires an action on each clip and I am mainly looking for a quick way to achieve my goal. With the mute option suggested by Steve this can be achieved.

Regards,wardv

• 9. Re: Premiere elements 13 mute track
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

wardv

Thanks for the follow up and reviewing the troubleshooting suggestions.

If you have a few more moments, could you clarify how you got the Audio Mixer "Mute Button" suggestion to work for you?

Are you saying that, after you applied the Mute Button to your audio track in the opened Audio Mixer, you were able to close the Audio Mixer and have no sound from Timeline's existing audio clips as well as any subsequent audio clips you imported into that project on this particular audio track?

Your input on that would be very helpful since I have not been able to get that to work for me as I am understanding the originally written suggestion.

But, the important matter is that you found the solution that you sought and it is working for you. Great news. Great job.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere elements 13 mute track

Please be sure to mark this question as answered, Ward!

• 11. Re: Premiere elements 13 mute track
                              wardv33151250 Level 1

Hi A.T.,

Sorry for the late reply.I have looked into it again to verify how I managed to do this. The thing is that it does not work anymore, after closing the Audio Mixer the audio settings of all clip are again unmuted. I have to admit that I initially was surprised that the mute option worked, because I was quite sure that I had tried it before.I verified my clips and indeed the audio is not muted. So back to zero...

Best regards,wardv

• 12. Re: Premiere elements 13 mute track
                                wardv33151250 Level 1

Hi Steve,

I thought that your answer had solved my issue.

However a check based on the additional questions from A.T. showed that this was not the case.

After closing the Audio Mixer the track is no longer muted.

Any other suggestions?

Best regards,

wardv

• 13. Re: Premiere elements 13 mute track
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

wardv

Thanks for the reply.

Since your last report "it worked", I have been looking at the situation in various versions of Premiere Elements and could not reproduce your "it worked" results based on my understanding of the how to that you were working from. Major puzzlement.

This weekend I am going to revisit the matter of killing the sound for any specific whole audio track (not just for one selected clip on an audio track) in the different Premiere Elements versions.

I should have the work and the results posted by Monday or sooner.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere elements 13 mute track
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

wardv

I do not use Premiere Pro. But tonight I had temporary access to Premiere Pro 2.0 on Windows 64 bit.

In your introductory description of what you wanted to do (muting a whole audio track - not just some selected files on the track, you mentioned

In other versions of premiere there was / is the option to mute a complete track at the left hand side of the track, this option is not present in Elements 13.

When you mentioned "in other versions of Premiere, I believe you might have been recalling a Premiere Pro experience, not an earlier version of Premiere Elements. When I used your description for "other versions of Premiere" to look at Premiere Pro 2.0, I found an icon where you seem to be pointing. It is called Toggle Track Output. Whereas Premiere Pro 2.0 has Toggle Track Output and Set Display Style, Premiere Elements has only Set Display Style.

ToggleOutput.JPG

Use of the Premiere Pro's Toggle Track Output would do what you want to do - mute the whole audio track and not just some of its content.

But, you still could have meant earlier version Premiere Elements. In Premiere Elements 10 and earlier, if you are in the Sceneline workspace, you can click to the left of the Narration, Soundtrack, or Filmstrip to bring up volume sliders for Narration, Soundtrack, and the unseen Audio Track 1. With these sliders you could mute the whole track. I do not believe it is possible to silence the whole Audio Tracks above 1 this way. (As an aside, the muting in the Sceneline also silenced the Timeline whole Narration Track, Soundtrack, and Audio Track 1. It looks like those volume sliders to the far left of the audio track were removed after Premiere Elements 10 and in the switch to new workspaces starting with 11.

Screenshot of Premiere Elements 10 Sceneline workspace with Soundtrack's Change Track Volume icon toggled on to reveal the Volume slider.

10 Sceneline.JPG

ATR

• 15. Re: Premiere elements 13 mute track
                                      wardv33151250 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for all your efforts.

Indeed I am sure this is possible in Premiere Pro using the Toggle Track Output Option.I have also worked with an older Elements version (I think 6, but I'm not sure). Although this was five years ago and I do not know how exactly I muted audio track 1 in that version. However if I cannot remember that I had to mute the audio for each clip individually.

For now I will use the workaround. Maybe this is something that could be added / improved in a newer version of Premiere Elements.

Best regards,wardv

• 16. Re: Premiere elements 13 mute track
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

wardv

Thanks for the reply.

Since this is not Adobe, rather user to user, you might want to file an Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Form to bring attention to the possibility of a feature such as audio track Toggle Track Output in Premiere Elements or a feature as represented in the Premiere Elements 10 and earlier Sceneline workspace audio track Change Track Volume.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Best wishes

ATR