• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quotes/apostrphies display as question marks

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2007 Dec 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My WebHelp is run on a Linux server. Most of my apostrophies and quotes are being displayed as question marks.

I did discover that when cutting and pasting into RoboHelp, in some cases, causes this problem. The solution being to go to each individual quote or apostrophy and delete and retype it while in RoboHelp.

However, the same issue is happening within Drop-down text, which was not cut and pasted into RoboHelp.

Does anybody have a solution, please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 07, 2007 Dec 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are probably those MS Word "curly quotes." The best thing to do is:

1. In WYSIWYG, type a space and double quote after one of these beasties.
2. In True Code (or HTML in RH7), compare the code for the two of them.
3. In Multi-File Find & Replace, replace all the bad ones with good ones.

Note that you might have more than one "bad" version, so you might have to repeat 1-3.

Good luck,
Leon
  • Text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2007 Dec 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon,

Thanks for the reply. I have version X5.

How do you view the True Code in the drop down text within the topic?

And, how do you do the Multi-File Find & Replace?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully Leon won't mind me interjecting here as he is likely to be asleep! Dropdowns and Expanding text are slightly more difficult to track down in the Truecode but once you know what to look for they are OK.

If you position the cursor in the WYSIWYG at the start of the drop down/expanding text, then go into the truecode you will see an <a class=dropspot x-use-popup=#POPUP160338860> tag. Copy the popup number (e.g. in this example 160338860) to your clipboard. Then go to the top of your truecode and do a find (Ctrl + F) on the number. you should find a DIV tag near the top of the topic with the popup number following by the dropdown/expanding text.

RH supplies it's own find and replace tool in the Tools tab. That said, most of us here prefer to use other tools such as FAR or BkReplacEm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, McAndrew. I'll check it out.

Has Adobe taken care of this issue in the most current versio of ROboHelp or is this an HTML problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I indicated in my first response, this is a "how-the-RH-HTML-Editor-interprets-goofy-MSWord-code" issue.

And as you've probably discovered by now, TrueCode is one of the tabs below the topic pane (along with WYSIWYG, Link View, and Topics).

In the Project pane (to the left), select the Tools tab, then Multi-File Find and Replace.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks again, Leon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp