Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatic numbering for images in Robohelp

May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no provision for adding automatic numbering to the images in Robohelp 11

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And...

You wish there were?

This is the world of HTML where numbering of images likely has no real meaning because unlike a book, folks may access information in any number of ways.

If you would like to see such a facility added to a future version, please consider submitting a wish form to ask for it.

Click here to file a wish form

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. In addition to what Rick said, there is a possible solution depending on what you meant by "automatic numbering."

If you mean that some number somehow surprints over the image incrementally, no, that is not possible.

However, if you mean that you would like to have an image with a caption (say, like "Figure 1., 2. etc.) then that is possible.

This is done with paragraph styles. You can see an example of this on my Sample site:

Web Graphics

Navigate to the topic "Bitmaps and Graphics" to see an example.

Sorry, if this is not what you were asking. Just thought I'd pass it on.

Thanks

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2015 May 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did John's solution provide what you wanted?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply, Yes I want captioning  the image as Figure 1 , Figure 2.

However the numbering should be incremented automatically when the caption is added.

For ex. when i add a caption to the first image it should automatically take it as Figure 1, for second image Figure 2 and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Actually that's exactly how it works when you create the paragraph style I described. This was introduced back in RoboHelp 8. You can find a blog article that describes it in more detail, here.

Paragraph Autonumbering in RoboHelp 8 « TechComm Central by Adobe

John Daigle

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping Uncle John will forgive my intrusion here.

Just a heads up for something that (to me) is totally unclear in the document John kindly found and pointed to. (I was curious and decided to have a play)

Step 2 (how to create autonumbering) seems to make an assumption that the RoboHelp author has already opened the RoboHelp Styles editor and has selected the style they wish to use for autonumbering. Only then will you see the icon mentioned. (I'm guessing you might be expecting to find that icon in RoboHelp's main toolbar)

Another sort of a "gotcha" (near as I can tell, maybe John can provide more) is that the numbering will only work for the topic you are in. So if you have perhaps 100 images scattered throughout 50 different topics, the first image in each topic will always begin at 1. There will be no "remembering" that you have images 1, 2 and 3 in topic A, then topic B will continue with images 4 and 5. As the topic is new, numbering restarts at 1.

I always thought that the purpose of numbering images as this thread is suggesting was so one could create a table of figures allowing the viewer or reader to easily locate images. But that's more of a "print world" thing to the best of my knowledge. I've never found a need for this function in my world of on-line content.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The numbering is per topic but you can edit the start number. Keeping tracking of that will be fun though as it will be a manual process.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp