• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MS SQL 2005: Assigning value to NULL

Participant ,
Dec 10, 2007 Dec 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason I have been finding it impossible to assign the value of '0' to the null result of count(). It's been easy to identify the NULL values, but the assignment of zero fails continuously.
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Dec 10, 2007 Dec 10, 2007
GOT IT!!

The subQuery itself is evaluating to NULL, so it just hit me to ISNULL the entire subQuery! Lol, wow. 4 days to figure this out, and its this simple.

Thanks for the help Phil.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Count(whatever) is never going to be NULL, since if there are no matching values then COUNT() will be 0. Try COUNT(ISNULL(r.res_id, 0)).

This is more likely to be done with SUM than COUNT.

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll post the entire code to you can see null is a valid value. Also, finding the null value isn't the issue. Assigning an actual value in its place is the issue. I've even used the ELSE clause to assign 0 to any value not specified and it still doesn't work (shown in example 2).

The first subquery finds the number of package components sold and assigns it's value to the com_sold variable. Components can be part of many packages, but have an absolute inventory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

I'll post the entire code to you can see null is a valid value
A valid value for what? COUNT(r.res_id) will never be NULL, and will return 0 if r.res_id itself is NULL. Of cours, why don't you use an OUTER join if you want to count values in your subselect regardless of a correlation?

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thanks for the help, continuing...

When changing the subquery to the following, I get this error:
"Subquery returned more than 1 value. This is not permitted when the subquery follows =, !=, <, <= , >, >= or when the subquery is used as an expression."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add,

If I change the LEFT OUTER to a RIGHT OUTER, I still get an [empty string] instead of '0' when cfdumping.

I know I could easily replace the empty string through cf, but I rather do it through sql if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about this?

SELECT COUNT( ISNULL(r.res_id, 0)) * pc.paccom_quantity
FROM bat_paccomponents pc INNER JOIN bat_packages pa ON pc.package_id = pa.package_id
RIGHT OUTER JOIN bat_reservations r ON pa.package_id = r.package_id
WHERE pc.com_id = c.com_id
GROUP BY pc.paccom_quantity) AS com_sold

or this?

(SELECT COUNT( ISNULL(r.res_id, 0)) * pc.paccom_quantity
FROM bat_paccomponents pc INNER JOIN bat_packages pa ON pc.package_id = pa.package_id
INNER JOIN bat_reservations r ON pa.package_id = r.package_id
WHERE pc.com_id = c.com_id
GROUP BY pc.paccom_quantity) AS com_sold

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GOT IT!!

The subQuery itself is evaluating to NULL, so it just hit me to ISNULL the entire subQuery! Lol, wow. 4 days to figure this out, and its this simple.

Thanks for the help Phil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Funny, that was going to be my next suggestion... Glad that you solved it!

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation