Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using RoboHelp 7 CHM Output on a Server

Dec 10, 2007 Dec 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CHM output from RoboHelp 7 (6, . . .), as well as any application that produced CHM, will not load on a network device.

This is a known issue confirmed by Adobe. When Microsoft Security Update 896358 was installed to address remote code execution, chm files located on a server will not work load. Typically, a single "Page Cannot Be Displayed" message appears when you attempt to open the CHM.

My employer wishes to use the compiled output on SharePoint and is asking me why we cannot. : - (

The only fix I've found, beyond downloading the file locally, is to hack the registry.

Does anyone have a fix or suggestion?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI jbifulk and welcome to our community

I think that should be rephrased to say "CHM on a network will simply not work as desired". It does indeed load up. You do see a TOC, but any topic clicked results in a page cannot be displayed. So it does load up, it just won't work like you want.

Sorry, but short of the registry hacks, running locally is the only way to work. You may wish to consider WebHelp or FlashHelp output instead. These output types are very easily produced from the same set of files you would use for .CHM. They are also intended for Network deployment.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion on wording. As a senior technical writer, I suppose I should know better.

I have tried both the WebHelp and FlashHelp output. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but I again receive CHM output from either project type.

Having used RoboHelp since before eHelp owned it, I guess I assumed I knew all I needed to fully use the application. I'm grateful for any assistance this august community can offer.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe

I'm confused, because you say that you tried both the WebHelp and FlashHelp output. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but I again receive CHM output from either project type.

Unless someone simply changed the layouts on you, I'm going to say this should be impossible. If you choose either of those outputs, you should end up with a swarm of files that would be used.

What are you looking at that tells you that you are receiving a .CHM from either of these outputs? Please detail the exact steps you are taking.

Thanks... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) I create a new project using either RoboHelp HTML or RoboHelp for Word.

2) Enter File -> Project Settings.

3) From the Project Setting dialog box, I select a different project type and then choose OK.

4) I then choose File -> Generate whatever project type I earlier selected.

The same output type appears to be generated.

Again, I could be doing something wrong. My company's Tech Support did not provide me with the printed guide. Any suggested books?

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi again Joe

As for books, all there is to the best of my knowledge is Kevin Siegel's "Skills and Drills" book. It's intended to help you learn RoboHelp with no instructor present and no help from anyone else. It is the guide that many of us RoboHelp instructors use as an outline. (Of course we add lots of additional value by offering what the book doesn't cover) If you go looking on Amazon, beware that a "RoboHelp 7 for Dummies" book also exists. But it is severely outdated. This is because RoboHelp 7 was the "new" version back in 1998! (Yeah, Adobe didn't conform to the logical standard. If they had, version 7 would have been version 14. Version 7 is logically version 15.)

Not sure what to advise about the .CHM issue other than to ask if you have used the Single Source Layouts folder and tried double-clicking the layout. That action tells RoboHelp to generate the output. If you try that, what do you see? Do you see a dialog with a button labeled "View Result"? If so, what happens when you click it?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp