Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search function not working in Adobe Digital Editions

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2015 May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I am using a PC and I am creating a "Fixed Layout" epub using Adobe InDesign. I included images and buttons to navigate the book, and everything works fine, until I try to use the search function in Adobe Digital Editions. The search function works fine in ibooks, so I tried opening it in other ebook readers, which jumbled my text and images, which Adobe Digital Editions did not do. Because of this, I want to stick with using Adobe Digital Editions. All text is live, so I know that isn't the problem. I tried saving the file as a "Reflowable" epub, even though I know that will not work for me, just to see if the search function would work, and it did. So my question is, why can't I use Adobe Digital Edition's search function with a fixed layout epub, and is there any way I can fix this?

Thank you!

Kelsey

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 19, 2015 May 19, 2015

If anyone else is wondering, I found a solution to this problem, as well as problems with fonts not displaying correctly in Adobe Digital Editions.

CircularFlo

Basically you download the trial and it works along with InDesign. It will also let you make a Kindle Edition, which is great. Basically you just pay $99 for each epub you want to create that is under 50 pages, and $199 will get you one epub with an unlimited number of pages. They also add a lot of great animation features. I think this w

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone else is wondering, I found a solution to this problem, as well as problems with fonts not displaying correctly in Adobe Digital Editions.

CircularFlo

Basically you download the trial and it works along with InDesign. It will also let you make a Kindle Edition, which is great. Basically you just pay $99 for each epub you want to create that is under 50 pages, and $199 will get you one epub with an unlimited number of pages. They also add a lot of great animation features. I think this will work well, and I hope this helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sorry, if I understand correctly, this is not a solution but an advertisement for a paid service. I do not want to pay $99 to convert an ePub. I simply wish for the search function to work for a book I legitimately purchased in .ascm format. It is important for my research to be able to use the search function. I don't know why Adobe has not fixed this issue, as it seems to have exists for several years without any improvements in newer versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you facing this problem on Windows/Mac/iOS ??

Ideally search should have worked on fixed layout epub3.

Are you trying to search from cover page itself ?? if yes, try navigating to a different page and search some content.

Still if it does not work, you can share the sample with us, we will investigate on our end and try to fix the issue.

Thanks !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shreya,

Thank you for getting back to me. I am having this problem on Windows 8, and I have tried searching from every page in the book that I've created. I'm sharing a sample from the epub that has yet to be completed. The entire document is live type, except for the title and subtitle on the first page.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0zsn9it2hp9arg/Amphenol%20Epub%20Test.epub?dl=0

Also I, like many other users, have been having problems with all my fonts being changed to Arial, and I have tried many different fonts including those from Typekit (I am currently working with Azo Sans in this document). I am using InDesign CC 2014. So, if you have any suggestions as to how this can be fixed, that would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thanks for sharing the test sample.

we will investigate the root cause and get back to you in couple of days !!

Thanks for being the part of product improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shreya,

I still have not heard back from anyone, is there any news?

Kelsey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 11, 2015 Jun 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Apologies for delay in response.

We have reproduced the search issue mentioned by you.

We are tracking it as a bug and will be fixed in future releases.

Thanks for being the part of product improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2015 Jun 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for getting back to me, and glad to be of help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2015 Jun 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I still have not heard anything back from the Adobe staff, and am now having an additional issue with hyperlinks opening within the epub, instead of a different window. Some of my hyperlinks open in separate windows, and some don't. Since I have not heard anything back from the staff, does anyone else have ideas on resolving any of these issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 11, 2015 Jun 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

internal links open within the same epub and external links open in browser window.

Please investigate on these lines.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just jumping in here. I'm in the middle of developing a fix ePub for a client and have just been hit by the 'it doesn't work on my PC' bomb-shell!

I have looked into various PC ePub readers including ADE and non of them are like what I am seeing in iBooks. The problem is we have invested a significant amount ofmoney on time, training and promises to the client of a deadline at the end of February!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines