Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word to PDF underline thickness

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2015 May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have viewed a number of previous discussions about this topic, and most of them remain unresolved.

When i convert a document from Word 2010 to PDF by printing to the PDF Maker or by using the built-in "Convert to PDF" option, my underlines appear different thicknesses than when i made them in word.

-I have checked and all the underlines are set to the same size in Word 2010.
-When in Adobe Reader, zooming in and out changes the relative sizes of the underlines in comparison to the text.

-When viewing the PDFs in Foxit Reader (a 3rd party PDF viewer) there is no issue and all underlines are correct, regardless of zooming.

-As suggested in https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1053837 and https://forums.adobe.com/thread/305508 i have tried changing the dpi settings of my PDF Maker "printer" to 300 dpi and then re-converting, to no avail,

Foxit shows it correctly, so i am lead to assume that the conversion is working correctly, but when viewed in Adobe Reader it is showing wrong. However, i want this PDF to be viewed by many people, most of whom will not be using Foxit reader or any other PDF viewer than Reader, and thus my problem stands.

Help!?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Hey everyone, i think i figured it out. I read this thread: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/620345?sr=inbox where Peter suggested turning off "Enhance thin lines" in the Page Display options, which seems to have resolved the issue. Like i said, the conversion seems to have worked, but Adobe was displaying it wrong, probably trying to increase the thickness of thin lines for some reason.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, there are 3 methods of creating a PDF in WORD 2010. You can use the Save As PDF or XPS (this is the MS built-in converter), Save As Adobe PDF (equivalent to the Acrobat menu of create PDF that is the PDF Maker application), and print to the Adobe PDF printer (different from PDF Maker). I assume you are using AA XI. I just did a test on WORD 2007 and AA 8 (what I have on this machine - might try other combinations later) and did not see a difference. There may indeed be a difference between 8 and XI (or DC), but I will have to check that a bit later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are trying to recreate the issue, I have a series paragraphs starting with larger text with an underline of 1 1/2 point, followed by smaller text with no other formatting. Then the next paragraph starts with larger text and underline again. The underlines from one to paragraph to another are different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, i think i figured it out. I read this thread: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/620345?sr=inbox where Peter suggested turning off "Enhance thin lines" in the Page Display options, which seems to have resolved the issue. Like i said, the conversion seems to have worked, but Adobe was displaying it wrong, probably trying to increase the thickness of thin lines for some reason.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting. It was not an option in AA8, but it is there in AA DC. One of those little features I did not pursue. Thanks for the info. When you find solutions, letting us know so we might pass it on is useful. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines