May 21, 2015 May 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why doesn't flash player 18 show in chrome plugins

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 22, 2015 May 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem occured to me...but i'mnot able to fix it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 22, 2015 May 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem.  The install does not fail - however, the player does not show up in chrome://plugins.

Oddly enough, I was able to install the previous beta (6th) - now even if I try to install that one, nothing shows up in the chrome://plugins

I've tried uninstalling and installing a few times.  Also tried uninstalling Chrome completely - still same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome dropped support for the NPAPI plug-in, so it no longer shows in chrome://plugins.

You can enable it temporarily for the moment, but it's going away completely pretty soon:

https://allinlearning.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204245434-Re-enabling-NPAPI-Plugins-in-Google-Ch...‌

The best way to get betas in Chrome is to just use Chrome Canary.  Google's beta program is different than ours, so the builds aren't necessarily synced, but we give them weekly drops that they drop to dev and canary channels as they see fit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeromie - I've been seeing the PPAPI debugger showing in Plugins for a little while now.  I noticed the NPAPI was no longer showing up a few beta releases back, however, Chrome 4.3, we cannot install the PPAPI debugger

I see that Canary has the later player, however, in my Canary 4.5 I CANNOT install the debugger either.  I've just tried the latest .162 released today and it does not show up in Canary 4.5 or Chrome 4.3

For other devs, if the debugger is still installing for you on Chrome then whatever you do, DON'T click "About Google Chrome".  As soon as you do, Chrome will auto update and you'll no longer be able to use Chrome to debug.  To get around this on windows I did a "Previous Versions" restore on C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome - which did the trick.

This has to just be an oversight on Google's part, right?  I've submitted a bug report detailing the issue but clearly to no avail.  Can someone @ Adobe give Google a kick?!  I'd hate to have to stop using Chrome for debugging!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 04, 2015 Jun 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure.  I'll need to take a look and file a chromium bug as appropriate.  There are some command-line options documented in the Chromium project that will let you force an alternate PPAPI plug-in location that might give you a good workaround in the meantime, but I'm sitting in an airport and can't check directly at the moment.  

List of Chromium Command Line Switches « Peter Beverloo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 05, 2015 Jun 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does appear that PPAPI Debugger path is no longer showing in chrome://plugins for Chrome 43. If you have it handy, can you please share the link to the Chromium bug report with us?

In the interim, Jeromie's suggestion about using command-line options is good workaround for this. Example usage as follows:

(1) Chrome 32-bit Windows

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --ppapi-flash-path=c:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\pepflashplayer32_18_0_0_162.dll --ppapi-flash-version=18.0.0.162

(2) Chrome 64-bit Windows

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --ppapi-flash-path=c:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\pepflashplayer64_18_0_0_162.dll --ppapi-flash-version=18.0.0.162

(3) Chrome 64-bit Mac

/Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome --ppapi-flash-path="/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/PepperFlashPlayer/PepperFlashPlayer.plugin" --ppapi-flash-version=18.0.0.162

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 09, 2015 Jun 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm - thank you both for details about the command line args.

I'm not seeing my original Chomium bug report for some reason, however, I do see some activity about this issue in these reports:

Issue 478056 - chromium - Flash player content-debugger does not appear in chrome://plugins/ - An op...

Issue 497996 - chromium - Debugger path is no longer showing in chrome://plugins for Chrome 43 - An ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this was the result of an oversight on our part.  The Chrome team suppressed the additional plug-in options because when we released the standalone PPAPI Flash Player for Opera and other Chromium-based browsers, Chrome didn't have a mechanism to differentiate that player from the Flash Content Debugger, and it created some ambiguous options in the plug-in UI.  It's important to Chrome from a security perspective that users are using the built-in version of Flash Player, and not an external copy on the system, as they can't update a random external copy.

We were able to sort that out with the Chrome team, and they're now able to distinguish and expose the existing Content Debugger from the PPAPI Release Player, so I believe you'll start seeing the debugger exposed as an option in about:plugins again soon.  I haven't looked, but you may be able to see this in Canary already.  I'm pretty sure I already saw the change go in, but it might be in code review still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 20, 2015 Jun 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeromie - Ah, that's excellent news, thank you for the update - very happy to know we'll be able to carry on as normal soon.

Pretty sure my Chrome versions haven't changed yet (43.0.2357.124 m & 45.0.2437.0 canary (64-bit)) - so must still be in code review.  Not seeing the debugger for v18.0.0.186 just yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This had been resolved.  Looks like its now happening again.  Chrome debugger is not showing - not sure about older Chrome - but 46.0.2490.52 does not load the debugger.

Can you please ask them to stop disabling the debug install??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the head's up.

I've opened the following bug with the Chrome team on this:

Issue 538351 - chromium - Flash PPAPI Debugger No Longer Showing Up under chrome://plugins on Window...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You bet.  Excellent, thank you Jeromie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

posting for those who stumble across this in the future (in Windows):

1) install the PPAPI flash player debugger as you normally would
2) add --disable-bundled-ppapi-flash to your target path in chrome properties, like this :
Image 2015-11-02 at 2.19.01 PM.png

works for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 28, 2015 Dec 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems that every time Chrome updates - this is a problem.  That said, adding --disable-bundled-ppapi-flash as qLipp suggests, does the trick.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 31, 2015 Dec 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it keeps getting broken by various unrelated changes in Chrome.  If it's busted again, I'm happy to report it. Ugh.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aye, it does appear that it won't recognize the debugger version again..  though qLipp's solution works like a charm.  It would be nice if Google would keep us in mind though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines