Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Complete Newbie!!

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2007 Dec 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,
I am currently evaluating captivate from a trial version. I'm a little concerned that I may be slightly out of my depth with the product. How much media experience is required? Is captivate software something that can be picked up by a complete newbie?
This forum seems to be brilliant for quick answers and queries, but I was wondering if you knew of any self-paced learning, books that act as a Captivate bible etc.
Captivate seems to produce the best results for what I need to produce, however I don't want to purchase the software then realise that I can't actually use it!!
I'd welcome any comments on it's ease of use.
Many thanks
Rebecca
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2007 Dec 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, Rebecca

I have a term I like to use to describe Captivate. "Deceptively Simple". I use this term because it is really easy for a complete noob to pick it up and use it. But this is a bit deceiving. Your confidence grows rapidly (and that is a good thing) until you being trying to make it sing and dance. Then things get complex and you may find yourself in unfamiliar territory all to easy.

Kevin Siegel (IconLogic.com) is selling a book that you may be interested in. It's called the Essentials of Captivate 3 and is intended for you to use on your own to learn Captivate. If you want, I can offer you a coupon code for a discount on it. I also offer training for Captivate. So if you are interested, drop me a line. I am offering attractive rates.

I conduct Captivate classes all the time and frequently see total newbies that have never used the product before attending class. And they always leave with a new skill! (They also usually have a lot of fun along the way)

So you will be just fine either way.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2007 Dec 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Rick. I think the product at first blush makes people go "hey this is totally easy, let's get started!". That's a good thing, because it makes you confident, but realistically, a book or course would be a great bet. There are plenty to choose from these days, and will allow you to master the fullness of the product in addition to creating rich experiences for your users.

Kevin Siegel also has a weekly newsletter from his site, and just about always has a Captivate tip in there.

Best,
jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2007 Dec 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rebecca,
I hope that you have found your way with Captivate.

I am also a total newbie (using captivate for about a month) and am testament to the fact that a total newbie can learn this!

Take your time, explore the program, make mistakes and ask questions and you will be creating masterpieces in no time!

Be confident,

Matt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2008 Jan 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started using it and I was able to create presentations easily out of the box. I think you will find this program to be very user friendly and easy to navigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 21, 2008 Jan 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About training ~

To anyone who might be interested in instructor led training for Captivate (or any Adobe product), you can find the nearest Adobe Certified training in Adobe's "Partner Finder" located at this link . Rick's comment back in December might lead some to believe that he is the contact for training, and of course that couldn't be further from the truth ... Adobe's "finder" can help find training in any country in the world, or any state in the nation (if you are in the U.S.). And of course, there are dozens of (us) certified trainers, most of them quite possibly more convenient to you than Rick.

To clarify - Rick might be a good enough instructor (I wouldn't know, but I assume he is a very passable teacher) but my point is that he is just one of many qualified Captivate instructors. The above mention of Kevin Siegel brings to mind that Kevin also puts on a good (training) show - in addition to writing an excellent Captivate user's manual. Kevin presents on-line (virtual) training seminars for those who might benefit from learning in a "live" environment while at their own home or office. Check that possibility out at this link to Kevin's registration page .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing about Rick's comment needed clarifying. I know Rick personally, and he is indeed a fantastic instructor. He constantly gets the highest ratings for his classes, and is often training all over the country. I don't believe Rick said he was THE ONLY instructor available. He simply gave options to a new Captivate user. Captivate is deceptively simple, and that was a great description. I've taken a Captivate class from Rick and the pace was perfect. Anyone thinking of taking a class, and Rick is the closest Instructor, I can personally say it's worth the one-on-one instruction.

User learn in a variety of ways, and by all means all ways should be given, which Rick was trying to do.

Community Experts should back each other up instead of tearing each other down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
To ALL: deesadler is the screenname for Dee Sadler, a neighbor of Community Expert Rick Stone in the Kansas City area. This Dee Sadler should not be confused with Dee Sadler, the accomplished television and screen actress from Great Britain. This one has written lots of books, I'm told, and is active in the Adobe User Group in the Kansas City (USA) locale (and seemingly newly interested in Captivate - good for you, Dee.

deesadler said ...
quote:

Nothing about Rick's comment needed clarifying.
Obviously, I thought it did, or I wouldn't have offered the clarification. But far from "tearing each other down", I supplemented the portion of his post that discussed training ... and no one loves the concept of "supplementing" other experts posts more than does Captiv8r!

I included links to other methods of training, as well as the main link to the Training Partner Finder, so that people all over the world could find training that fits their location, their schedule, and their chosen learning method (as you later suggested yourself, deesadler).

I am happy that you took a class on Captivate! And I am sure you benefited greatly from it. I applaud your efforts to become more skilled in the use of Adobe products, and encourage others to follow your great example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources