• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bookmarks not working

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2006 Aug 15, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to insert a bookmark, I am getting a message that states "This action will create an external link to the help system. The link may not function when the help system is moved to other systems. Create link anyway?" If I click yes, the page is not displayed when I test it? Any help???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 15, 2006 Aug 15, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Water_karen

This happens when you simply insert a bookmark? Sounds like what might happen if you are possibly linking to a bookmark.

If it's truly happening when you initially try to insert the bookmark, I can honestly say I've never heard of it happening. But if it's happening when you are trying to establish a link to a bookmark in a different page, it sounds as if you are browsing to a page outside your project when linking.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 12, 2007 Dec 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue to, and I am not browsing outside the project.
I noticed this when my Primary Layout is Microsoft HTML Help.
Inserted a bookmark at the top of the topic and then a hyperlink to it from the bottom.
Picked the bookmark to link right off of the default list for the project.
Saved, generated and tried the link, it did not work.
I have gotten a link to a bookmark to work with WebHelp and Flash robohelp projects.
I did not see a restriction on bookmarks and MS HTML Help in the Robohelp help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there hardlyworking

My guess here is that your bookmark name has a space in it. Compiled .CHM files don't like it when that's the case. So edit the bookmark name to remove spaces.

If this is a "Back to top" bookmark, you really don't even need to insert a bookmark at the top of the page. Just create a hyperlink that says "Back to top" and make the link destination a simple pound symbol ( # ). This will reload the page from the beginning.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea. I tested it, unfortunately that's not the issue. Currently my thinking is that it may have something to do with the fact that all the files on my hard drive are synced to a network drive and somehow this is interfering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With your help, I fixed it!
A Six Sigma Black Belt once told me that if something breaks it's usually 2 things wrong.
1) Sync to network, somehow interfering
2) Naming issue

Once I made those two corrections it started to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you accomplish linking from a chm to files on a network? Are they part of the chm project, or external links?

Or are you saying that the solution was to remove the network link?

Thanks.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2007 Dec 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files were always on my local drive, but they were being synchronized. The synchronization was somehow redirecting to the network. I moved the files to a folder, still on my local drive, but it was not being synchronized.
So it is possible to have a project stored on a local drive but have problems associated with storing on a network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2007 Dec 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH is built around an Access database - you can open up your project's .CPD file in MS Access if you want. Access databases are notoriously prone to problems when stored on a network drive. My friend Peter Grainge often uses the Russian Roulette example in this scenario. You may go on happilly for a long time but that doesn't mean that will always be the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you find out if your project is being synchronized? I work alone, and I store my project on my hard drive. It does get backed up, but that's an external software that just copies all changed files to the backup. I keep getting that same message. There are no spaces in my file name, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the connection between the problem you are having with your project and the backup routine? If you are creating links to bookmarks in the project that you have on your hard disk, then the target is in the same project so you should not get the error.

Have you restored anything from the backup? Maybe that has confused RoboHelp.

Have you tried deleting the CPD file?

Have you tried taking a copy of the backup and putting it on the hard disk to see if that also errors?

You haven't said what version of RoboHelp you are using.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the quick reply. The error message kept occurring when I was going back over topics, editing them to change the format of the hyperlink from Display in frame to Display in auto-sizing popup. One link would allow the change; another link on the same topic would not allow it. Anyhow, I just started deleting the existing link if I got the error message, and reinserting the hyperlink in the format I wanted. They are working now.

Have a nice day,

Dana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp