• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conditional text

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2007 Dec 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using conditional text in a numbered list, is it possible to have the numbers auto renumber in the output? Example:

1. Step 1 for all end users.
2. Step 2 for all end users.
3. Step 3 for end user A only.
4. Step 4 for end user A only.
5. Step 5 for all end users.
6. Step 6 for all end users.

When I output the topic for all users the steps are numbering 1, 2, 5, and 6, but since 3 and 4 are not included for all users then I want that outpout to be 1, 2, 3, 4 for all end users.

Is this possible? It'll be one of the few times you'll hear me say this, but I hope I'm just doing something wrong.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for me in X5. Here's how I did it:

1. I clicked the numbered list icon in the WYSIWYG editor to begin my list.
2. I wrote the steps as "Step 1," Step 2," etc. through "Step 6."
3. I tripled-clicked step 3 to highlight the paragraph.
4. I right-clicked the paragraph and selected the conditional tag "A."
5. I repeated steps 3 and 4 for step 4 (if that makes sense).
6. I previewed the output.
7. I defined the build expression as "NOT A."

So here's what I started with:

1. Step 1
2. Step 2
3. Step 3
4. Step 4
5. Step 5
6. Step 6

After applying the tag to steps 3 and 4, and previewing the output with a build expression of "NOT A," here's what I saw:

1. Step 1
2. Step 2
3. Step 5
4. Step 6

And that's what you're looking for. Provide the steps you followed and the output you saw, and maybe we can figure out why this worked for me but not you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I'm not doing anything different, but I think i figured it out. I can get it to work as long as the steps are "pure" as I call it. For example:

1. Step 1
2 Step 2
3. Step 3
4. Step 4
5. Step 5
6. Step 6

If they are not pure (i.e., have qualifiers) then it breaks this process. For example:

1. Step 1
2 Step 2
3. Step 3
4. Step 4
NOTE: You may have to do something here. (<-- This note stops the conditional text from hiding step 4 and then making step 5 step 4)
5. Step 5
6. Step 6

A lot of the steps we have have qualifiers (field definitions, notes, tips, warnings, etc) and this throws off the numbering. If someone knows this not to be true, please let me know, but near as I can tell if I don't have qualifiers it works fine, otherwise, I gotta problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MeWrite

I'm thinking the only real way you will make this work is to create two different lists. Then apply the conditions to each list. When you generate using a Build Expression, one or the other list will be excluded and the final result would contain exactly what you want.

Just a thought... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 11, 2007 Dec 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you introduce any break in a list, RH oh, so helpfully ends the list, then forces you to restart numbering after the break. The only way around this is to go into TrueCode, delete the /LI tag before the Note, and delete the LI restart after the Note. This ensures that your numbering is truly and automatically uninterrupted. You'll probably also need to double check your conditional tags to ensure that they are capturing exactly what needs conditionalizing.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 11, 2007 Dec 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MeWrite,

I was able to create a list very much like the one you describe, and the conditional build tags worked. Here's what I did:

1. I created the list I posted earlier.
2. I applied conditional build tags to steps 3 and 4.
3. I turned step 4 into a bullet, signifiying a qualifier. RH restarted my list, so steps 5 and 6 became steps 1 and 2.
4. I indented the bullet. When I did this, RH renumbered the list in sequence, so steps 5 and 6 properly became steps 4 and 5.
5. I previewed the output.
6. I defined the expression as "NOT A."

So here's what I started with:

1. Step 1
2. Step 2
3. Step 3
* Qualifier for 3
4. Step 4
5. Step 5

(NOTE: The bullet was indented.)

After applying the tag to step 3 and qualifier 3, and previewing the output with a build expression of "NOT A," here's what I saw:

1. Step 1
2. Step 2
3. Step 4
4. Step 5

If you can't get this to work, Rick's suggestion will do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 12, 2007 Dec 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*bump*

Any luck, MeWrite?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2007 Dec 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chet -- thanks for the info. I just now had time to come back and see your response. I accidentally did what you suggested (accidentally because I hadn't yet read your response).

I was entering my numbered steps then went back and changed a couple numbers to bullets then indented. When I output it it worked, much to my confusion.

I didn't understand why it worked that way, but when I read what you wrote, it suddenly explained what happened. Thanks for the input. Although as i discussed with the other authors our conditional text options they liked Rick's suggestion better. Since we are also going to deal with off-shore writers too, they think this is a cleaner less confusing way. Not sure I agree, but that's 1 of next week's design meeting issue.

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2007 Dec 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Happy to oblige. I'd push for the simpler solution at that meeting. Rick's workaround, while effective, requires you to maintain two full sets of instructions. This will effectively double your workload.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp