• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expanding and Closing TOC books

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2007 Dec 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to auto-close TOC books after opening a different TOC book when navigating through the Table of Contents so they don't all stay open unless clicked again to close them?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 12, 2007 Dec 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi clayti

What you need to do is examine the Single Source Layout properties. If you are using version 7, click the Edit... button on the dialog. If it is version 6 or older, the button is labeled Advanced...

Either way, the next dialog you see should have a TOC Styles tab. Click that.

This should list a lot of TOC styles you may apply. The one you are interested in is labeled "Single Click to Open Books". Select that and dismiss all dialogs. Re-compile and you should be golden.

And this only will work for compiled CHM output. WebHelp is an equine of a different hue.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2007 Dec 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi clayti. Hopefully Rick won't mind me offering the following.

I think what you need is to set the single source layout so that "Always Show Selection" option is set. It is in the same dialog as Rick outlined. However you also need to have the "Auto Sychronise TOC" option set on your Window properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum

I don't mind at all.

But here's the thing. The steps you outlined is something I sort of consider to be best practice with a compiled .CHM and always do that with my own .CHM files. I'm pleased you offered it. But that alone won't address the issue that clayti was asking about. The two settings (Auto synchronize TOC and Always Show Selection) may be set independently. Yeah, it's a really good idea to configure them both, but they don't have to be that way.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm. I always considered the option you referred to in your first post would just allow you to single click to open a book but would not on it's own close the other books. I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Sorry, but my participation over in the Captviate forums has me a bit on the terse side. I often find that it is best to simply answer the question that was asked and I forget to offer up "best practices". I've seen so many over there grow frustrated with answers that contain things like "you should be doing it this way" and I see comebacks that are angry and whatnot. So my reply style has changed a bit.

I should also say that when I use the Single Click option, I also provide the Plus/Minus squares option too. Unfortunately, that option doesn't become available until you first choose to Add Lines from Root. The Plus/Minus Squares option allows the user to keep multiple books open if they so choose.

Cheers all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The word "terse" is not something I'd use in connection with this forum Rick so don't worry and I genuinely was interested to learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp