Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No More Soft Returns in RH7?

Participant ,
Nov 20, 2007 Nov 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

Does anyone know why Shift+Enter no longer gives you a soft return in RH? More importantly, does anyone know a workaround? This is a very important item in my daily work. I create list of links at the top of every Help page and in order to save space, every list does not have any space between the links. I've always accomplished that by pressing Shift+Enter in the past, but ever since I've had RH7, this keyboard shortcut doesn't seem to work anymore. Help please!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Dec 13, 2007 Dec 13, 2007
Hi LaKisha

Just for the record this seems to be an issue with some installations of Robohelp 7.

I have been reliably informed that Ctrl + Shift + Enter will give you the soft return <BR> tag.

Hope that helps
Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works for me in RH7.
Does Shift+Enter still do a line break for you in Word? If not, did something on your PC recently affect keystroke mapping?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea. I did try Shift+Enter in Word and it works fine, so something's up with my RH7. I have a tech. support contract, so I'll give them a call tomorrow, but thanks for replying because at least now I know that it's working in someone else's RH7. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2007 Nov 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could get around this issue by creating a style with no space between the carriage returns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colum, that is a good idea but I don't know how to do that. Can you tell me? I am using a stylesheet in my project and I know a little bit about styles, but am not sure how to create one. I suppose I can copy my "Normal" style, then put <br> in the tags instead of the </p> for carriage returns ( ? ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Open the style sheet you are using in the topic.
2. Click New.
3. Give the new style a name (e.g Links).
4. Click Format.
5. Click Paragraph
6. Change the "Spacing Before" and "Spacing After" values to 0pt.
7. Click OK.
8. Click Close.

Now you have a style called Links that can be applied to text.

If you have these links on all (or most ) of your topics you could get very clever and set up a template that you use when you create the topic. That way you do the formatting once in the template and this is then applied when you create a topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 13, 2007 Dec 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LaKisha

Just for the record this seems to be an issue with some installations of Robohelp 7.

I have been reliably informed that Ctrl + Shift + Enter will give you the soft return <BR> tag.

Hope that helps
Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2007 Dec 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Craig,

I've just tried what you said and it works! Thanks so much. I hadn't had time to create a style as Colum suggested, but your keyboard shortcut certainly helps me because I'm so busy, I don't know when I'd have a chance to create the style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp