• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anyone else unable to view online maps with ArcGis Viewer?

May 23, 2015 May 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These maps have worked for me in the past, but it's been a while since I've tried to open one, and now can not load them on my computer. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and have tried both Firefox ESR 31.7 and Internet Explorer 11 browsers with current Flash version 17.0.0.188 installed. I have sloooooow DSL internet (0.75 Mbps).

Here is the site where I first had this problem: http://gisinfo.co.portage.wi.us/realestate/?

When I go to this site, I first have to click "Allow Flash", but then after a minute I get an error message "Error 2032". Googling this error led me to some info about setting up the map server ( https://geonet.esri.com/thread/116500 ), so, I thought perhaps that this was something that would have to be fixed at the website. However, when I went to the map site from a public library computer, it worked.

I have done a bunch of troubleshooting with no success, including:

• tried other Firefox and Windows user profiles
  • temporarily disabled Zone Alarm firewall  and ActionTec router firewall
  • disabled other Firefox addons and extensions
  • tried other online maps that run in Flash: http://www.co.rock.wi.us/Rock/RockCoGis/
  • went through all the trouble-shooting steps like clearing caches and checking settings that Adobe lists on the Flash Player help page ( https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-games-video-or.html )
  • was not able to try reinstalling Flash - had problems downloading the uninstaller. I finally got it downloaded, but then got a Windows error message about 32 bit / 64 bit incompatibility when I tried to run it.

You Tube videos have been working well with Flash, but videos on other sites such as MSN don't load. It would be really a huge improvement to get this all working again!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2015 May 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, this is a Flex-based app.

I'm pretty sure that you have a cached version of the Flex library with an expired digital signature.  The libraries were originally signed with a 10-year code signing certificate, and the original batch expired week or two ago.  We replaced the hosted libraries with newly signed versions a couple years back, but some content providers (mostly enterprises) hosted their own copies and never updated, and other folks have the old one stuck in your cache for some reason.

Try this:

Go here: Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager - Global Storage Settings Panel‌

Uncheck "Store common Flash components to reduce download times"

Re-check the box.

You should be able to reload the GIS site at that point and have it go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer. I wish I could try that as it makes a lot of sense, but (ironically) the settings manager won't work for me now. The page won't recognize that I have Flash installed, even though I've switched the Firefox setting for Flash to "Always Activate" and was able to access the settings manager a couple days ago. Occasionally I have pages that do this and then come back.

Settings Manager.png

I did apparently solve the problem of being unable to view MSN and other miscellaneous flash videos by changing a security setting in my antivirus. I have ZoneAlarm Pro firewall suite installed, and I unchecked "Enable Web Monitoring" under Antivirus - Advanced Settings - Premium Protections.

Also, I wonder if I might need ShockWave Flash installed to view map layers on the site I originally wanted to look at. Disabling the web-monitoring feature allowed me to view some other GIS maps running in Flash or Silverlight. However, you mention the site linked above is running a Flex app, and I found this info ( https://forums.adobe.com/thread/769607 ) indicating that Flex require Shockwave.

Once I can get to the settings manager again, I will try clearing the cached and expired library. I will hold off on installing Shockwave unless I really need it. And, would I need to uninstall Adobe Flash before installing Shockwave Flash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have "Always SSL" turned on or something?  Load it over HTTP and it should work.  It's something I'm trying to get fixed, but there's some ancient legacy issues that make it unnecessarily complicated.  The joys of 15 year old code. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I just noticed Privacy Badger running.  Try disabling it temporarily.  If you have AdBlock Pro or Ghostery, those are frequently problematic as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes - it was Privacy Badger causing the problem on the Flash Settings Manager page! It was blocking wwwimages.adobe.com.

With Privacy Badger deactivated, I've cleared and rechecked the "Store Flash Components" box, but still can't view the county GIS map linked in my first post. Some elements of the page load, such as navigation controls, but the data layers do not.

It seems like every other county GIS map I've tried will work on my computer now, so could this be a quirk of that particular webpage? I emailed the administrator of the map page for more input.

Thanks for explaining some of the background on Flash software, Jeromie! This has been challenging for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines