• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are CHW files necessary in merged projects?

Participant ,
Dec 12, 2007 Dec 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing a little frustration here and hope you all can help me out. I have two master projects, one very large and the other growing. Each master project has several subprojects merged into them. I periodically commit my CHM and related files to Subversion so the "build master" can add them to the various product test builds (and ultimately the production builds). One of the file types that I've been including is the .CHW file type. It's my understanding that this is a necessary file type in order for the final project to display all of the index keywords from all of the merged projects.

I've got one of the developers that says this file type was never included in any of my predecessor's submissions before and he doesn't think it's necessary. I've been thinking of compiling a merged project and deleting the .CHW file to see what happens, but there's got to be an easier way.

Can someone clarify this for me? I really do understand that the CHW files are required in order for all keywords from all merged projects to display in the final master project. Here are my sources:

http://www.helpware.net/htmlhelp/how_to_merge.htm

http://filext.com/file-extension/CHW

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 13, 2007 Dec 13, 2007
My understanding is that the CHW file is only created when a merged CHM is opened. If a user opens a merged CHM, the CHW file is created as it contains the merged index. Therefore it is not required to be put into a source control database or be shipped with the application.

You could test this by installing your merged CHM on another PC, then opening it. You should see a CHW file being created in the same directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2007 Dec 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is that the CHW file is only created when a merged CHM is opened. If a user opens a merged CHM, the CHW file is created as it contains the merged index. Therefore it is not required to be put into a source control database or be shipped with the application.

You could test this by installing your merged CHM on another PC, then opening it. You should see a CHW file being created in the same directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2007 Dec 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks, Colum. I appreciate the feedback and the education I'm getting both here and in my new position (I've worked with Subversion repositories before, but it's been awhile and I've forgotten quite a bit).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp