Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need option to disable automatic Convert to Text

Participant ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Acrobat DC under Mac.

1. So I open a PDF that is composed of multiple scanned pages.
  2. From the (Tools?) panel, I click Edit PDF.
  3. As I flip through the pages, I realize that Acrobat is automatically applying "Convert to Text"
  4. However, I don't want this, and there is no way to turn this off. This is terribly inconvenient and distracting.

For the Settings, please add an option to disable automatic conversion. Not sure why I'm having to ask for this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Thought I'd copy over the answer from Adobe from another very similar post.  Thanks Adobe, you got there in the end.

Bilal Ansari

Correct Answer by Bilal Ansari on Oct 16, 2015 8:33 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience. We understand that this is an annoying behaviour and now we have a solution for you. In the latest version of Acrobat DC, you can disable the "auto convert to text".

Just open any scanned PDF and click on Edit PDF. On first launch, Acrobat will convert the image to text. Now all you have to d

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Want you edit the document content or not?

‌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernd,

I see that your English is a little weak, but I believe that you are asking, "Why did you click 'Convert to Text' and not expect that all of the pages would be converted automatically."

Well, in a situation where I am working with a single page out of a collection, I need the following:

1. Cursor down to the page that I need, without the pages being converted automatically.
  2. When I get to the page that I need, I click "Convert to Text."

There needs to be an option to turn off automatic conversion.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC for Windows

I not editing the content of the document.  I wanted to add text.  When you click the edit pdf icon, it automatically begins to convert the document to text.  This is really annoying.  Please remove the auto convert to text or give an option to turn this off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Same as DeniseSullivan here, I need to add text not edit existing text and so the conversion is (apart from slowing things down) extremely unstable and causing "Internal error has occurred" errors and crashes.

I'd use comment mode, but the text there has fewer options for formating (Can't immediately see way to change colour of text?).

Please make the automatic conversion an option!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, am finding the inability to turn off the automatic conversion a major annoyance. Often on complex pages, the program just crashes.

Many times I only wish to edit the image, not convert it to editable text. I have found that when I do want conversion to editable text, the program does a great job. I just really need to make it not automatic. I would like (need, really) to have the option to turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2015 Sep 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the PDF functions (Add text, Crop page) can be added to the toolbar. When you open a PDF you can then bypass the Edit PDF tool and select the desired function directly. ScreenShot078.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2015 Sep 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much! That was very helpful.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 4:20 PM, jimm61627157 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot see how to add "Crop pages" to the toolbar. under View --> Show/Hide --> Toolbar Items it is not an option. (I have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2015.) I want to crop parts of different 16th century scanned books as images, and the conversion mangles them beyond recognition. Importing them to MS Word and cropping them there reduces the resolution considerably, so that doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use "Customize Quick Tools".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the trial version and plan to purchase a PDF editor soon.  So far I find Acrobat to be a superior product but this automatic conversion without any option to disable it is just too much of an annoyance for me to consider purchasing it .  Like David, I am also experiencing crashes on complex pages when the conversion is occurring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto-recognition goofs the original document after running recognition so not sure how it would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. There are several situations where I need to preserve the images and outlined text, without having Acrobat automatically detect and convert text (for example, logos, images, etc.).

Please make automatic recognition optional!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have lost so much time undoing the automatic recognitions.  PLEASE fix this ASAP!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, please allow us to disable this automatic document conversion!!! I scan documents all day long sometimes just need to enhance the background of the scan to make the watermark readable and I don't need to have all the text suddenly editable. On a 30 page scanned document, I'm wasting almost 5 minutes waiting for the conversion and then undoing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2015 Aug 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with all the above. This needs fixing. Though I understand the rationale behind the recognition, it's incredibly inconvenient to me several times a day. e.g. Today I need to recreate a business card, like for like, from a pdf. I need to extract the bitmap and at present cannot. The only option is to rasterize the pdf which is frustrating to say the least.  PLEASE FIX!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2015 Aug 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am adding my concurrence with the opinions above.  The need to edit a page does *not* imply that OCR is needed.  I would prefer that it is disabled by default with an option to make it automatic for those that need it.  The development team's immediate attention to this issue is greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2015 Aug 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree as well. I open a lot of PDF files to crop the page down to the image and I don't need the OCR to run. Sometimes when it runs it also rotates the page and/or corrupts the image. Please give me an option for turn this off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jimm61627157 wrote:

I agree as well. I open a lot of PDF files to crop the page down to the image and I don't need the OCR to run. Sometimes when it runs it also rotates the page and/or corrupts the image. Please give me an option for turn this off.

You can open the Page Thumbnails and use Crop Pages...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could we get a response from an Adobe representative on this? This is incredibly frustrating and the solution seems quite simple, and required by a great many of your users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2015 Sep 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second all of the above.  There HAS to be a way to turn the auto feature off.  Otherwise I'll have to just use the older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I'd copy over the answer from Adobe from another very similar post.  Thanks Adobe, you got there in the end.

Bilal Ansari

Correct Answer by Bilal Ansari on Oct 16, 2015 8:33 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience. We understand that this is an annoying behaviour and now we have a solution for you. In the latest version of Acrobat DC, you can disable the "auto convert to text".

Just open any scanned PDF and click on Edit PDF. On first launch, Acrobat will convert the image to text. Now all you have to do is click on the 'Revert to Image' button on the Right Hand Pane. Acrobat now remembers this setting and will not convert any scanned document to text unless you change it from here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an asinine fix. I don't want to convert back every time, I just want to edit the damn file without converting anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did this.  You won't have to convert back every time, but every time you do something different than last time, you are toggling the default, so the "asinine" verdict stands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrible feature flaw, please rectify, albeit it's too late for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines