• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script to convert absolute links to relative

New Here ,
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a manual in RoboHelp 11, and we're working on going from a WebHelp Pro output to Responsive HTML5. While we make this transition, we're making some updates throughout the documentation, and the issue of creating relative links has been one we've struggled with for a while. Currently, all of our documents are created in Word and then linked to the project. Wherever there are related help topics, we've linked them in the Word doc. The problem with that approach is that when we make this move to a different project (or if in future a document is moved) all of the links will need to be updated, because they point to the absolute location rather than the relative location of the topic. We've tried creating relative links in the Word documents, and it doesn't seem to work. We can't create the relative links in RoboHelp because we would lose those changes every time we update our linked documents. I'm hoping to find someone who has written a script to be run before the single source layout is generated that will find all absolute links and convert them to relative links, or even if someone could point me to some tools that may help me write one. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Cassandra

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Personally, unless there is a huge burning need to keep things in Word, I'd consider breaking the dependence on Word. I think you are already seeing that it's really more of a sort of "band aid" approach that has some pretty significant pitfalls. But that's just me.

As a side note, hopefully you are aware that moving to responsive won't offer the benefits of the WebHelp Pro output and you will likely have to abandon using the RoboHelp Server product. Thereby losing the reporting and tracking and whatnot.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply! We have a relatively small department and only two RH licenses, so using Word just allows more people to access the documentation and work on it, including engineers and technical writing interns. It's worked well, but I agree it has maybe limited our ability to see the full functionality of RoboHelp. However, we don't really have any other options so I turn to more experienced users to see if they've encountered similar issues!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are hosting this on a web server running RH Server, right? If not, running the “Pro” version doesn’t get you anything (and can actually limit your choices in some cases).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2015 May 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We actually host on our own server. Could you tell me a little more about the differences in Webhelp? When I was introduced to the project the "Pro" version was the primary output so I hadn't ever considered using the regular version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The “Pro” versions are intended for use only with servers running a product called RoboHelp Server – it provides for customized reporting and analysis of usage, page views, etc. Using the “Pro” flavour without RH Server limits your choices with regards to “regular” WebHelp. Adobe has never done a very good job of explaining that “Pro” <> “better”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I honestly wish I had a nickel for each time we have encountered this exact situation. I know it's not your fault. So many authors see Webhelp and then see WebHelp Pro and simply conclude that Pro of ANYTHING has to be like, the ULTIMATE. Right? So they make a beeline for it without considering what it's all about.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp