13 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2015 11:17 PM by RoninEdits

I'm having issues using Premiere on old Windows 7 as opposed to Mac..?

Carina L.

Alright, so I am using a trial of Premiere Pro on my Windows 7, as opposed to the paid version I have always previously used on Macs. When I first started it on my Windows 7, it said my computer's screen resolution was below the minimum requirement to run Premiere. It then showed a message saying I need to either change my computer's resolution or the DPI within Premiere. I tried doing the former first, but my computer's resolution was already the highest it could be. So what is this DPI it is talking about and how do I change it? I've even noticed that my video in the right-hand video preview now looks a bit pixelated most likely because of this issue.

Also, my project is doing a weird thing where like I will have a video with a title that is on it for like 3 seconds then fades away. During the time the title shows in the video, this weird little black space appears between the right side of the video and the right edge of the square space the video is supposed to entirely fill. When the title disappears, the black space goes away and the video fills up the whole square like it should. I've included pictures to demonstrate what I'm talking about. When the video plays with everything I just mentioned happening, it looks weird, like a jump-cut effect. Any explanations/solutions?

And finally, when it comes to exporting, I have always exported in Quicktime, HD 1080i, but now when I try to do that, an error message saying "Incompatible Video Codec found in the preset. Preset load failed." pops up. I have never seen that before! It only lets me export  in GoPro formats. What do I do to export for the best quality given these circmstances? Thank you so much for your help!

with title.jpgwithout title.jpg

• 1. Re: I'm having issues using Premiere on old Windows 7 as opposed to Mac..?
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some stats on this machine ... we know the OS, but ... CPU/RAM and particularly the GPU/card you're running.

How many hard-drives/SSD's do you have? What's the type of footage you're editing ... frame-size/rate & codec data?

As to the issue with Quicktime ... technically those are Apple codecs & they are a bit crabby about 'em. Download Quicktime especially, or perhaps Quicktime Pro ... and then after re-booting you should be ok in Windows.

Neil

• 2. Re: I'm having issues using Premiere on old Windows 7 as opposed to Mac..?
            Carina L. Level 1

Hello,

By hard drives, do you mean the kind that are outside the computer and plugged into it or hard drives already within it? I'm not using any external hard drives, so how do I see how many hard drives are in my computer if there's not only one?

Also, only thing I know about my footage is that it is MP4 video, so how do I see what codec data and frame size/rate it is?

• 3. Re: I'm having issues using Premiere on old Windows 7 as opposed to Mac..?
              Carina L. Level 1

I just looked at the properties for my video, and the frame rate is 29.97 and under "Type:", it says MPEG movie if that's what you mean by codec data?

• 4. Re: I'm having issues using Premiere on old Windows 7 as opposed to Mac..?
                Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Carina L. wrote:

Hello,

By hard drives, do you mean the kind that are outside the computer and plugged into it or hard drives already within it? I'm not using any external hard drives, so how do I see how many hard drives are in my computer if there's not only one?

Click on Computer and it will show the hard drives.  If you have only one, Premiere Pro won't run properly.

Scroll down to Guidelines for Disk Usage:

Disk Setup

• 5. Re: I'm having issues using Premiere on old Windows 7 as opposed to Mac..?

Bob gave a good very direct answer ... and as far as knowing what your footage is, things like "mp4" are a "wrapper", technically ... and the codec can be something else. It's VERY confusing at first. A codec is a means of compressing video/audio information (for smaller storage size), then de-compressing it to make it viewable or editible. Hence, co-dec. There's quite a few codecs out there, and many of them can be put into a "wrapper", which is the outside structure of the file. Such as mp4 or mov or AVCHD and others. You'll see talk of say, transcoding (re-encoding from one codec/wrapper to another) from the camera-produced file to DNxHD, a very good codec for editing. BUT ... depending on what settings you choose, that DNxHD method of compression/decompression can be put into mxf or mov "wrappers".

So ... what's inside that mp4 could be very different from what's inside a different bit of mp4. Hence, people get asked a LOT both what codec they're using, and how it was produced ... which camera or perhaps screen-capture software.

There's a free program that is highly used around "here" to determine what's inside a video file ... MediaInfo ... you open that little app, and then "file-open" or drag & drop a clip onto it, and you get full info on what is in there ... codec, compression settings like in the following example ...

Which shows that the Container or "wrapper" is MPEG-4 and what's inside that is a video in AVC codec and audio in AAC codec. It even shows a lot more data about that. Often, if there's a question, simply opening a file in Media Info & taking a screen grab (Windows has the Snippet Tool in the all-programs/accesories menu to take a snap of a section of the screen) and posting it is easy for you and informative for "us".

MediaInfo

Neil

• 6. Re: I'm having issues using Premiere on old Windows 7 as opposed to Mac..?
                    RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

would still be helpful if you can provide hardware info as neil asked for. if nothing else, just the mfg and model so we can try to look it up.

issue #1, screen resolution: sounds like your monitor doesn't meet adobe's System requirements what is your resolution set to? if your display resolution for windows is already maxed, just make sure its also set at 100% and not scaled up. that setting is in windows, screen resolution> make text and other objects larger or smaller. the only dpi setting i can think of inside of premiere is for high dpi monitors, which is the reverse of your problem so it doesn't apply.

issue #2, title: this may be related to the video card. what video card(s) do you have? you can check a setting in premiere, "project settings", and set the renderer to software only. you say the problem happens while playing back the timeline in premiere, but does it appear when you export?

issue #3, incompatible Video Codec:  have you installed or updated quicktime as neil suggested?

Unable to export Quicktime after upgrade from Premiere 7.0 to 8.0 (2014) error "incompatible video codec in preset"

Incompatible Video Codec

missing sequence presets or codec

• 7. Re: I'm having issues using Premiere on old Windows 7 as opposed to Mac..?
                      Carina L. Level 1

Hi everyone,

Alright, so I already have QuickTime Pro, and I fixed the  black line by..OK first to explain what I'm doing, I'm making a video reel. What I did before was make and edit the whole reel in Windows Movie Maker, then I put the WMM reel file into Premiere so I could add cool titles to it. What I did that fixed the black line was start the reel over and edit the entire thing in Premiere rather than make  the reel compilation in WMM first like I did.

And my computer is an eMachines E528-2012 with Windows 7 to answer your question. Now, the only problem I have now is there is this one video file that's part of my work, but apparently premiere/the playback can't handle it, so it automatically makes it zoomed in when I first put the video into my project. It looks bad like that though, so I scaled it from 100 back to the 67 it looks like it supposed to be, but it plays back badly. I looked at the video's properties by right clicking on it in the project timeline, and I see that its image size is larger than that of the other videos in my reel. I also see that the video has a red line above it unlike the yellow and green ones that are above the other videos. Thoughts/solutions? Thank you all so much for your help so far!

• 8. Re: I'm having issues using Premiere on old Windows 7 as opposed to Mac..?

What are the sequence settings for frame-size & frame-rate, and what are the settings for the larger clip? (As in, "sequence is 1280x720 @ 24p and other clip is 1920x1080 24i")

Are all the other clips the same size and if so do they match the sequence settings? Are they all the same as far as wrapper/codec, or is the bigger one a different "flavor" of file not just bigger?

And ... what is your disc layout ... how many discs involved and what kind of connections? As in ... "one drive and everything on it"; or "one internal drive and footage/clips on an external via USB/whatever"; I tried looking up the computer you gave and couldn't find any specific info ... but from what I could see, if you're operating at ALL on an eMachine, you're doing better than I'd expect ... that's a pretty low-powered series of laptops.

Neil

• 9. Re: I'm having issues using Premiere on old Windows 7 as opposed to Mac..?

the red line is premiere's way of saying it doesn't think it can playback that part of the timeline in real time. Red, yellow, and green render bars and what they mean | Premiere Pro work area  this can be caused by high compression codecs, or by applying too many effects to the clip. either way the computer cannot process the clip or effects in real time. if its too many effects you can render a preview by pressing enter.

it sounds like its just that one clip and its using a different format/codec from the others. you can try to transcode the video clip to another format such as dnxhd, so that the computer doesn't have to work as hard to play it back. if you dont know what the format/codec of that clip is now, you can see if the properties will say in premiere or you can use the mediainfo program neil linked. then in the future just be aware that your computer doesn't like that format/codec.

• 10. Re: I'm having issues using Premiere on old Windows 7 as opposed to Mac..?
                            Carina L. Level 1

Is finding the sequence settings the same as right-clicking on the videos in the sequence and looking at their properties? If yes, then the other videos are 1280 by 720 for image size, while the problem video is 1920 by 1280. All of the videos have a frame rate of 23.976. If this is not how to find sequence settings, then I have no idea how to do that.

And the videos (except for the problem one) are MP4 videos I downloaded from YouTube. The problem video is a video I trimmed down in Premiere on another computer, exported into a .mov file, and emailed to myself to download onto my computer. So, I guess this is all on my computer's drive but I don't know...

• 11. Re: I'm having issues using Premiere on old Windows 7 as opposed to Mac..?

Go to the Project panel in the lower right corner, that's where your "stuff" appears.

The above is in list view ... using the icons lower left corner, you can also go to thumbnail view. There's a lot of fields you can't see at once, so you can either scroll or hit the tilde ( ~ ) key while any panel has a blue highlight about it and that panel goes full-screen and you can see a lot more fields at once.

For sequence settings, there's the Sequence menu at the top of the page ... top item under it is Sequence Settings ...

To find out where any clip or other asset "lives" on your computer, right click on it in the Project panel, then look up & down the options for "Reveal in Explorer" ("Finder" I think on Mac's).

• 12. Re: I'm having issues using Premiere on old Windows 7 as opposed to Mac..?
                                Carina L. Level 1

How do I transcode a video into a different codec? Because now I am working on a different project that is also a reel. The frame rate and image size of the videos in this one are all the same, but when I try exporting it, it still does not let me export into the QuickTime HD 1080i.

• 13. Re: I'm having issues using Premiere on old Windows 7 as opposed to Mac..?

you can load the original files into adobe media encoder and have it transcode to another format/codec. dnxhd mxf is a good option, or if you want the dnxhd in quicktime is possible, but you may have to install the avid codec first. Avid QuickTime Codecs LE

if you are still having the error with quicktime hd 1080i from premiere export, you can look thru the threads i linked earlier with that error message and see if those solutions help.