Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replace an entire topic

May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I update/replace an entire topic somehow?

Background: I have a word main doc with links to sub-docs. For RH usage all sub-docs have to be merged to one main word-file (otherwise RH reports an error) before. Then I import the big main wordfile into RH which creates all topics (and images, index,..).

If I later want to change just one sub-doc I have to redo all the previous steps?!

How can I import just such a sub-doc to RH and then replace in the main-RH file (including all the image, links)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2015 May 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can link (not import) each individual document in RoboHelp. Whenever one of the documents changes, you can simply regenerate the topics.

I don't believe sub-docs are supported by RH and I doubt they will ever be. Sub-docs are a fool proof way of corrupting Word documents, but perhaps MS changed that in the 2013 version. Personally, I would always advise against sub-docs. If you need this kind of flexibility, I would recommend taking a look at FrameMaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 31, 2015 May 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will the "RH linkage" also consider index and toc entries? I never tried before.

If you write >800 pages of documentation, sub-docs are the only way to keep things fast and stabe in word. I use this sub-doc procedure since >15 years with different authors and translation

offices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2015 Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can convert the index and TOC as well. It's a bit more hidden because you first link the document and then choose to convert the index/toc.

I know the pain of long documents in Word. If you have no problems with subdocuments, you're either extremely good with Word or extremely lucky! I hope for the first. Personally, I live by the advice given here: http://www.addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I gave it a test and it does more or less what I need. But: why are the HTML output files using "WD_" as prefix to all CSS formats I defined in the .ISF file? How can this be turned off, since when I manually import a word file, it does not happen. I hope I do not have to write another .JSX again..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp