• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FP17 Pepper debugger fails to install on Chrome 43.0.2357.65 (Windows 7)

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Flash Player was installed and worked nice, until yesterday. But now it's simply gone in Chrome and won't be installed again!

I followed the step explained in Re: FP17 Pepper debugger fails to install on Chrome 42 (OS X 10.8.5), and now Flash Player plugin simply fails to be loaded.

Also installed Flash Player (PPAPI) debugger does not appear in chrome://plugins result.

Google's bundled player works fine, but hey, you cannot debug with it!

What I tried:

* uninstalled and re-installed Flash Player debugger, not works. ("not works" means file swapping in the article above does not work, and the plugin does not appear in chrome://plugins )

* uninstalled Chrome and Flash Player and re-installed both of them, not works.

* uninstalled Chrome COMPLETELY WITH ITS ALL ADDED-ON PLUGINS and Flash Player, and re-installed Chrome and Flash Player (namely "Clean Install"), not works again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 21, 2015 May 21, 2015

Hi Lucia Ellan,

It seems Google has disabled the non-embedded PPAPI plugin in the latest version of Chrome (43).  The same PPAPI plugin version works in Chrome 42 but not Chrome 43.

I looked at Piyush's instructions (comment 20) at Re: FP17 Pepper debugger fails to install on Chrome 42 (OS X 10.8.5) and noticed an error with step 3.  Since Google Chrome is a 32-bit app (indicated by it being installed to Program Files (x86) on a 64-bit OS), 64-bit OS directory path and file should be C:\Windows\Sy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2015 May 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional info: 2 more people in my development team have reported exact same issue after updating to Chrome 43. I'm going to report this to Chrome forum too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lucia Ellan,

It seems Google has disabled the non-embedded PPAPI plugin in the latest version of Chrome (43).  The same PPAPI plugin version works in Chrome 42 but not Chrome 43.

I looked at Piyush's instructions (comment 20) at Re: FP17 Pepper debugger fails to install on Chrome 42 (OS X 10.8.5) and noticed an error with step 3.  Since Google Chrome is a 32-bit app (indicated by it being installed to Program Files (x86) on a 64-bit OS), 64-bit OS directory path and file should be C:\Windows\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash\pepflashplayer32_<current version>.dll, not 'C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\pepflashplayer64_<current version>.dll' which is the 64-bit PPAPI plugin.  I have fixed the directory path in the original post to the correct 32-bit directory path on 64-bit OS.  I have confirmed these instructions on Windows 7 with Chrome 43 and the PPAPI debugger was recognized.

Alternately, Opera also uses the PPAPI plugin and you can try using that for debugging purposes as well.

I also recommend filing a Google bug at Report an issue - Chrome Help.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for correction on that step, Maria!

That solved (at least temporally, I mean, until Google resolves this) the issue. I already piled a report to the Google Chrome forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2015 May 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Lucia Ellan ,

What is the bug number you filed with Google?

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2015 May 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote this issue at Google Groups and the guy there suggested me to look at Issue 478056 - chromium - Flash player content-debugger does not appear in chrome://plugins/ - An op... , which is basically a MAC issue of same thing, but in Chrome 42. Also it worths to note that the issue is already more than a month old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lucia Ellan ,

Thanks for the update.  It's interesting that Google pointed you to the Mac bug.  Google hasn't enabled the non-embedded PPAPI installer on OS X.  Since it worked before on Windows, but isn't working now, I consider this to be a new bug.  I did escalate this issue to our Product Manager last week and will forward him your latest comment with Google's suggestion.

If you do have a new bug number for the Windows issue, please send it to me and I'll forward it to our Product Manager to follow-up with Google.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Your solution seems promising, but your instruction are incomplete and I can't reproduce any success. Please provide us with the well defined steps, it will be usefull to the adobe/chrome dev team that seem to not have a hang on it.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Win 8.1 64bit, and Chrome which is installed in "c:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\", however Windows Task Manager ('platform' column) reveals it's a 64-bit process. To make the Flash Player Debugger work I did the following:

1. closed all browsers, then uninstalled all the flash players from my system (Uninstall Flash Player | Windows)
  2. downloaded and installed the lastest flash player debugger - "Download the Flash Player content debugger for Opera and Chromium based applications – PPAPI" (Adobe Flash Player - Downloads)
  3. installed the flash player
  4. switched the Chrome on, browsed to "chrome://plugins/", clicked "Details" a the top right corner, found "Adobe Flash Player " and copied the path (C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\43.0.2357.81\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll) to clipboard
  5. opened up the Explorer and browsed to the path from the previous step
  6. located the "pepflashplayer64_17_0_0_188.dll" file, since my Chrome is obviously 64bit. This file was illogically located in "c:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\", unlike as you would expect (c:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\), where instead the 32bit version of the file was located.
  7. I copied the "pepflashplayer64_17_0_0_188.dll" file to the path from the step 4 and renamed it to "pepflashplayer.dll"
  8. Made sure Flash plugin is enabled in "chrome://plugins/" tab.
  9. Restarted the browser, now the flash debugger works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Milos-MAD,

Thank you for the feedback.  I updated the instructions on the other thread with the 32-bit and 64-bit Flash Player locations on a 64-bit OS.

On a 64-bit OS, the 64-bit files are located at \Windows\System32 and the 64-bit files are located at \Windows\SysWoW64.  SysWow stands for Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit (WoW64 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).  While it does seem illogical, it's the way Microsoft build it.

Thanks again for the feedback.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines