• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update after installing latest version v4.0.3

May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Does anyone know why downloading the latest version of Digital Editions (v4.0.3) still causes an update prompt when it is first run? Avoiding this for my customers would be very handy

An update to your Adobe Digital Editions is available

The Adobe Digital Editions update includes:

Click here to see complete list of new features

Update Remind Later

If I run the app with an account that has local admin rights, it doesn't give me the update prompt but I get it again when I launch the app using the same account as previous. Also, clicking Update or Remind Later has no apparent effect.

Not sure if it is relevant here, but while the installed version reports as 4.0.3 in Control Panel for example, "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Adobe_Systems_Incorporate\DigitalEditions.exe_Url_hv1ceha1lyxpchid0aqqytp ihgqdqmhz\2.0.0.0\user.config" reports it as 4.0.0.0. Should it?

<sectionGroup name="userSettings" type="System.Configuration.UserSettingsGroup, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=NotSureIfThisIsSensitive" >

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

Short story: a buggy installer.

Longer version:

The installer adds these per user registry values for the user account that does the installation.

If these values are missing, then the nonfunctional update notification is shown every time ADE is started.

And since the installer provides no mechanism for adding these values to other users, all of them are affected by the problem.

If these values are added for an user account, the update notification is not shown anymore.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions 4.0]

"ConfigPath"="https://adedownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/digitaleditions/adeupdaterconfig.cfg"

"EnableAutoUpdate"="1"

"UpdaterPath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Adobe Digital Editions 4.0\\ADEAutoUpdater_403.exe"

"FeaturesPath"=http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions/features.html

In terms of correcting the problem, the preferred alternative for many enterprise users would be a possibility to disable the update functionality completely and machine-widely.

Also, ADE doesn't (seem to) have an user interface for configuring update settings so making these per user settings makes little sense.

But if these are to remain as such, then the mechanism that creates the values for other users when they start ADE 4.0 for the first time should be implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines