• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with installation on Windows 7

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having problems installing Flash Player.  I'm using Windows 7, and my browser is Internet Explorer (I'm not sure of the version, but it is two or three years old).  As the installation of Flash Player is running, it asks me to close Internet Explorer.  So I then follow the instructions about opening up the Task Manager and ending the appropriate processes.  My problem is that I am not sure what processes to end.  There are four or five processes that have the name "iexplore.exe".  Do I close all of them?  Are there others I should close? Will closing them cause problems with my Explorer in the future?  (Windows opened a dialogue box that warned me that it might.)  I am totally computer ignorant so I am hesitant to proceed on my own.  I am hoping that I have provided enough information for one of you smart people to help me out.  I have never had a problem downloading and installing updates of the Flash Player before.  but now they are telling me that the Player has disappeared off the computer and that is why I'm trying this new installation.  I checked and Adobe Flash Player is enabled, so that isn't the issue.  I would be very appreciative if anyone can sort this out for me.  Thanks, David              

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF and only IF you know how to make a empty bat file or use the cmd prompt I can ease the pain?

For IE:

taskkill.exe /im iexplore.exe /f

taskkill.exe /im flash* /f

For Firefox:

taskkill.exe /im plugin-container.exe /f

taskkill.exe /im firefox.exe /f

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2015 Jun 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the response, but sorry I don’t know how to do either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the following Adobe site to install Flash Player. Go to the bottom where it says, "Still having problems?". Click on the link for Internet Explorer.

Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the response Andy. I just followed your instructions, but in the installation process it still says I need to close Internet Explorer. if I close Explorer, then nothing happens with the download. I am assuming that this is because the browser is closed, so my connection to Adobe is broken? any other suggestions? thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows 7 and Internet Explorer.

When I click on the (Internet Explorer -Active X link) at the bottom of the link I gave you  a message appears at the bottom of the screen giving me the option to "Run" or "Save" the download.

If I click on Run and then View Downloads I can see the file adobe.exe file downloading. When it is finished downloading it starts to run.

Or you can Save the Adobe.exe file in your Downloads folder, then get out of Internet Explorer, then go to your Downloads folder and run the Adobe.exe file.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Andy. thanks for your patience.

I followed your instructions (I think). I seem to still be having the same problem. I have the installer in my Downloads. But even when I click on the file there (with Internet Explorer closed), it doesn’t want to run. This is what happens when I click on the installer (it is called: install_flash_player_ax). First a dialogue box shows up asking if I want to make changes to the computer (I answer yes). then a box asks if I am ok with the agreement (I say yes). then immediately another box shows up saying something like: “installer will automatically continue when these conflicting applications are closed: Internet explorer”. but it is already closed! any further ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

This is the only info I could find:

How to close Internet Explorer and other programs running on Windows?

If this does not help, perhaps one of the Adobe Staff people will post a solution  soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about download the install, and re-boot your machine, log back in and do not launch anything just run the exe to install adobe flash. This way anything that is closed will obviously be closed during a restart and as long as you do not open it after the boot HOPEFULLY you should be fine.

Try that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Carm for you idea. the rebooting did work in terms that the installation seemed to complete. however when I went to open one of the websites that requires flash player to play, it said that flash player wasn’t there. when I checked in my “all programs”, flash player didn’t come up (the Adobe program there is “reader”). so it seems that the installation went through, but for some reason the program isn’t appearing in my program files, and nor is it working on the websites. any more ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the start orb in the lower left , and in the search box type ' uninstall a program '

click on that.

attached is a screenshot of an example of the adobe flash versions Capture.PNG

You should see npapi and/or ActiveX . The ActiveX version is for Internet Explorer and the npapi is for browsers like firefox .

Since you are using IE make sure the ActiveX version is there.

If not then we might have to manually download the ActiveX installer from the distribution site and install it from there. Or I could PM you a self install script for both versions , as I will not post it directly in the forums and you can let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carm, I followed your instructions and the ActiveX version is there, and it shows that it was installed today (I guess from your earlier efforts)

what should I do now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one idea left.

In the upper right corner of Internet explorer is a gear wheel icon looking thing(depending on your IE version it could be tools),, never the less under that menu is the manage addons menu, click that and once that window opens , you will see a pulldown box towards the lower left, pull it down and make sure that it says all addons like in my screenshot, and towards the top there should be adobe shockwave activeX control, make sure they are enabled.

addons.JPG

IF that fails or not there you might want to go here:

https://www.adobe.com/products/shockwaveplayer/distribution3.html

and download the slim EXE installer , obviously in English for windows and give that an install.

aside from that, I am not sure where the issue would be at to be honest, its most difficult doing this in forums , and could prob ease do it in person in 15 minutes lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Carm, I’ll be trying those things out this evening. I’ll let you know how it turns out

again thanks for all your efforts. if we were in person, the next round of whatever drinks would be on me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carm, back again

so I went into the addons and the shockwave activeX was not on the list at all. only the shockwave flash object was there, and it was enabled.

I went to the other link, but before I download the slim EXE installer, I thought I’d check back in with you first as to what I should do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carm, I downloaded the slim EXE installer, and that doesn’t seem to help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 05, 2015 Jun 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try a clean install of flash outlined here:

How do I do a clean install of Flash Player?

However , b/c of you skill level as stated in the original post am reluctant to do so. I have been doing onsite technical support for edu for a decade and can feel when a user is not comfortable doing things like outlined above.

I do have a script to DL and will literally mimic the entire process outlined above. It will even download and automatically re-install the flash files so you do not have to do it over again.

IF you want to try the adobe method outlined in the above link feel free to. IF you want the bat file script let me know and I will provide a link to the article i wrote about it and the actual link to DL the file as I am not going to post it here at the moment but has been out there on the web for some time now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carm once again thanks for your suggestions

You are right the clean install looks a little complicated for me to try on my own. I am wary of screwing things up and then causing further problems.

I am willing to give the BAT file a shot if you can send me the article and link.

again, thanks for all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check you messages on here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines