Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Survey - Contents versus Table of Contents

Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2007 Dec 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

We're building a new help system and need your assistance. Our team is trying to decide between using a navigation button labeled "Contents" or another one called "Table of Contents". Before we make a decision, I decided it would be a good idea to find out what the majority of other help authors use.

How many people out there in the help authoring community use Contents and how many use Table of Contents? I'm especially interested in the opinions of people who build help systems for applications used by small business owners.

Thanks,
Jim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
For help systems I tend to keep things as short as possible so it's "Contents" for me. Even for a book I'd probably use contents as it does what it says on the tin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that things at least in the user assistance field have gone toward just "Contents." That's the default label for the TOC tab/button in RoboHelp. I use "Contents" for both print material and online help. "Table of Contents" is wordy and would make for a large button.

--Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll pile on. "Contents" seems like the way to go. It seems more direct to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Contents" works for me in print and online!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The document portion is called a "table of contents," but the simple word "contents" makes for a smaller button. And the reader will not mistake the contents for something else. So "button" works for me, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp