Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linked Word File import

Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using linked word files, the html output always creates new styles and does not consider my .CSS file. All html styles use a preceding "WD_" string and all headings are not imported as <h1>..<h9>. Of course I set the "File | Project settings | Import" settings.

When I do not link but import the word file, the html output is different.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you see Word imported HTML ignoring the CSS, it usually means the Word source document was not well formatted. The user that created it likely had no clue they could define a heading and simply apply it. Instead, they likely just selected across the text they wanted to appear as a heading, then made the text larger and whatever color they wanted it to be.

In these cases, RoboHelp has no clue that the text should be considered to be using styling. Hence, a bunch of WD type of styles are created and used. Because nothing has been specifically designated as a Heading, the CSS (while it may have its own rules that have been defined) will then be ignored, as there really aren't any true "headings" or other things to consider.

I know you said that things are treated a bit differently depending on whether the document is linked or imported. But these are the general guidelines and notes we have used for many years.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree with you, if just the headings would be affected. But after link-import I can find a private doc-CSS which adds a preceding "WD_" to every style - even to the normal style. And, as I also wrote, the same wordfile with my own .CSS imports perfectly, when I use "Import from Word" instead of linking and also the headings import right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a page on my site that covers importing and explains how to avoid

the prefix.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please point me to the right page? I already browsed your pages but did not discover.

Importing and Linking Word Documents‌

Linking Using RoboHelp 9 or 10

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/importing/importing_general.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2015 Jun 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct page is the one that describes the process for whichever version of Rh you are using. I believe that following the process I describe will solve your problem.

The problem is that the process will solve the problem for importing but not for linking. As you refer to Linked import, I am not clear whether you are linking or importing.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 07, 2015 Jun 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So does this mean, there is no fix for "linked word" files? This would make this feature unuseable in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not necessarily. Can you send me one of your Word documents so that I can look into what can be done? See the Contact page on my site and send the document as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the document direct.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will also need your CSS so that I can see the differences in the styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

please see private message - thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp