• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6 (CC) keeps crashing

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated to Lightroom 6 through creative cloud. Lightroom 5 used to work perfectly, if a little slowly, but 6 just keeps crashing when I try to browse or edit images. This morning it has crashed 30 times and I have only managed to edit 5 images from a recent wedding. I've disabled all plugins, but that didn't help, and have tried to boot in safe mode, again with no success. I am running a MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz Core2 duo, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, Yosemite, 500GB SSD. I have tried to go back to LR5 but the updated catalogue won't work with it. Any ideas anyone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Your original LR5 catalog is still there, so you could go back to that, and you'd only lose the work that you did on the 5 images.

But with LR6, try turning off the GPU option on the Lightroom>Preferences>Performance tab. Does that make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 210 Replies 210
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your original LR5 catalog is still there, so you could go back to that, and you'd only lose the work that you did on the 5 images.

But with LR6, try turning off the GPU option on the Lightroom>Preferences>Performance tab. Does that make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - it's working so far, but now very slow to render previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2015 Sep 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar issue. Lightroom 6 kept crashing only when I turned off GPU it is stable however very slow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even turn off my graphics processor, as soon as I click to untick the box  the whole program freezes. Any ideas anyone? Only bought this today to replace 5.7 and am severely disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To turn the Graphics Processor option off before starting Lightroom, read this link-

Turning off Lightroom’s GPU preferences even when crashing on startup. | Lightroom Blog

And-

Resetting the lightroom preferences file - updated - Lightroom Forums

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did that work for you?

And are you still able to see pics in high res?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows. Looks like my issue was the GPU option. Followed instructions in wobertc's post to disable in the preferences file as it was crashing pretty much right after startup. My GPU is not very powerful, 1Gb DDr5 AMD Radeon 7800, but sounds like users are having issues with even more powerful cards. If you're on Windows go to C:\users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences and edit the Lightroom 6 Preferences.agprefs in notepad or note++. Search for "useAutoBahn" and set to "false". If your issue is the same that should help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2015 Aug 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the trick. I tried to turn off the GPU option directly from the program itself and it keeps crashing. Changing the true to false from notepad works great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2015 Oct 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer. I was in tears LR CC kept crashing and along the way created a temporary catalog after I fixed my catalog it continued. Luckily my hubby is a techie. He googled it and fixed it using the GPU preferences. What a pain. People shouldn't have to be this technical to get LR CC stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2015 Oct 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I even tried that GPU settings on and off. I even set up a second users account. I then put in my old Lightroom 4 disk, tested it .  It played the videos to edit and created the slideshows without crashing. i even have Lightworks video editor on this and it played videos. Even before I did that, Lightroom CC 2105 crashed. But on Windows 10 only. Luckily, I can use Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 to edit videos without it crashing. But slide shows for me are easy to understand creating them in Lightroom cc 2015.I guess if I bought a new vehicle, I would expect;all of the vehicle together. i will call them this week. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say it was fixed using GPU preferences, what settings did you change?  Just the GPU acceleration setting in LR or settings for the graphics card itself?

Are you concluding that your catalog has been corrupted in some way?

I am also having the same video functioning problems (LR will  not operate with any video files; it hangs by just putting my cursor over the video file list in my LR library list).  I had been running LR4 just fine.  I upgraded to LR 6 a few months ago and at the same time upgraded to W10.   Other problems caused me to revert to W7.  Then I noticed the video files were no longer working.

I just installed LR 4.4 on another computer (W10) and copied to that computer an older backup catalog and the original video files.  Video works fine on that computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed LR 4 into the same computer when I edited the videos in same computer as Lightroom CC 2015 with Wndows 10.  I just turn off the GPU.  My graphics card isn't or wasn't changed. Same graphics card.I just believe Adobe doesn't really know how to fix it. I won't call them about it, because it is too frustrating. I will keep it this way. You should be able to edit videos and slide shows in Photoshop . . I did one that way on the same computer that Lightroom CC 2015 wouldn't edit on.Just doesn't make sense to me. i guess that is better than being frustrated.2 other programs I tried were worse than Lightroom. so I will keep this LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2016 Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I try to do this fix, it just crashes rather than unchecking the box.  It's so screwed up.  I can't get any of my business work done.  I have clients waiting for pics and this newest update just crashes.  Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2016 Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the "Manually disable the graphics processor" section on Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2015 Aug 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a huge help. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Windows 10 - The whole purpose of having a graphics card is to use it... I have the AMD ATI FirePro V Graphics card and lightroom keeps on crashing. Very hard to get any work done! If I turn off the graphics card then things slow down considerably. Please fix this ASAP!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GPU is the culprit.  Of course Adbobe knows this.  They chose to release defective software.  Adobe owes it subscribers at least one months's subscription payment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2015 Oct 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like others Lightroom CC kept crashing on me whenever I'd try to click on the "develop" tab.  Running Windows 10 with 12g of ram, I7 processor SDD. it's pretty fast. I checked the support post about the GPU and it turns out I'm the lucky guy with the one graphics card they don't support on Windows, AMD Radeon HD would have been nice to know this before signing up for the monthly subscription.  Turn off GPU and it stopped crashing but it clearly runs more sluggish than the old Lightroom 5.  Not great. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom 4, work editing videos and slide show. , but not my Lightroom CC 2015. It won't do slide shows neither. I decided I won't do slide show or videos in CC 2015. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 22, 2015 Dec 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off GPU did not help me. LR6 crashes everytime I click on a video.

Windows 10, LR 6, Premiere CS6, and so much more ....  nothing but more headaches.

Wish I had never heard of Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2016 Aug 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me thanks (NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ 950M)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar spec macbook pro running a 23" Cinema Display and if i leave GPU OFF - Lightroom works so perhaps our spec is too  low ? Would be interested to know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2015 Apr 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  Random crashes when editing. tagging, cropping...  Never an issue the LR5

2007 MacBook Pro 3,1

Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz

6Gb memory

512mb Samsung EVO 850 Pro SSD

Lightroom version:  CC 2015 [1014445]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.10 [3]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 2

Processor speed: 2.4 GHz

Built-in memory: 6,144.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 6,144.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 276.2 MB (4.4%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 878.3 MB

Memory cache size: 52.8 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 2

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2

Displays: 1) 1440x900

Graphics Processor Info:

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT OpenGL Engine

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Version: 3.3 NVIDIA-10.0.31 310.90.10.05b12

Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT OpenGL Engine

LanguageVersion: 3.30

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines