Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 6 Index Question

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2007 Dec 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning!
I'm creating an index in RoboHelp 6. I've created indexes in FrameMaker and Word, but this is a first for me in RoboHelp. Certainly there are general principles for a good index that apply regardless of the tool.

Are any best practices, pitfalls, and/or limitations associated with RoboHelp?

Thanks,
Veronica

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one pitfall: if you output to print, RoboHelp groups all the index words with your topic's title. So if your topic spans 5 pages, your keywords for all 5 of those pages will be stacked where the title appears.

Here's a tip: To make subkeywords as you enter index words, type a backslash, like this:

dogs\hounds

When you enter another word combo, like this:

dogs\yorkshire

the index will automatically put both subkeywords under "dogs."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip Tom.
Does this mean where I've entered subkeywords with a comma that I should redo those with the backslash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

only if you have multiple subkeywords for the keywords you've used commas with. in other words, if your index says dogs,hounds and dogs, yorkshire, your index won't stack the subkeywords under dogs unless you go back and enter them as dogs\hounds and dogs\yorkshire. but if you don't want to put subkeywords under a main keywords, use commas. generate the help and see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I generated the FlashHelp and the subkeywords stack under the main keywords as they should. However, when I generated the printed documentation (which included the index and glossary), the index and glossary do not show up.
Previously, I've generated the glossary for print (to be reviewed) and had no problems. Other than including the index and glossary as sections to be generated, is there some other trick to generate these in print?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howerver, the Index Wizard needs to go back to Hogwarts.
If you let it add keywords, don't use the "automatically add" feature.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2007 Dec 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried creating a new print layout?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the steps that I’ve taken to generate printed documentation for the index.

From the Printed Documentation screen, these options were selected:
• Output format – Generate Word Doc
• Enter name – Index
• Specify path – C:\Documents and Settings\vjordan\Desktop\AIM+\!SSL!\Printed Documentation\Index
Generate individual documents - selected
Create master document – selected
• Images – Embed in documents selected
• Conditional Build Expression – Not Future Release, Not In Review, and Not Online (conditional tags excluded from output)
Included tags – HTML links, Index, Print
• Start each topic on a new page - selected
• Advanced options
o Include expanding text – selected
o Start new chapters on odd pages – selected
o Include drop-down text - selected
o Include glossary text – selected

From the second Printed Documentation screen, these options were selected:
• Two topics selected for chapter layout

From the third Printed Documentation screen, these options were selected:
• Section layout – selected Default Title Page, TOC, Chapter Layout, Glossary, and Index

From the fourth Printed Documentation screen, the default (None – Use the Project’s CSS styles) option was selected.

Hope this may be useful to determine what’s going on.

Thanks for your time and help.
Veronica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generate a single document without Master selected. See what happens there.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that...still no printed index. Anything else you might recommend?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the new layout that I suggested?

You are generating locally and not working / generating across a network?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried what you recommended by selecting the single document without the master. It still did not generate a printed index.
And yes, I'm generating from my local drive not across a network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me try this again. Have you created a NEW single source layout to see if that is any different? I am wondering if there is something corrupt in the existing layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be a little more specific when you say creating a NEW single source layout?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I deleted the old copy of the printed index. And then regenerated using the options you recommended (single document sans master).
This action still did not generate a printed index.

Is that what you mean by creating a new layout?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on the Single Source Layouts folder in Project Manager. You can create a new layout of any type. Select Printed Documentation. Do not use the Copy option.

Go through the wizard leaving all the default settings.

If that fails, go through this new layout again but select the Style Mapping template on the last page.

Then post back how you have got on with those tests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know how you enter the glossary items from a separate tab and can generate a printed glossary. I was thinking that the Index worked similarly.

I created a new layout as you recommended and add a chapter that had index entries. And lo and behold it worked. My bad as a newbie. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
We've all done worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp