Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recording, Screen Captures, and Audio

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2007 Dec 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Forum Members,

(I think it is ok to call people in the forum "members", I was severly chastised for using the word "members" in a USENET newsgroup posting).

I have some questions about the actual process of recording (and editing) a Captivate application.
I am recording on-line intranet tutorials using Captivate 3. I have also used Captivate 2.0.

I have tried a few ways to handle the recording issues. We are recording demonstrations mostly, with some "real-time" motion recording.

The tutorials we use are scripted - we have a script reader, and record screen captures.

1. One method I have tried is opening up a browser window, like MS Internet Explorer, and begin.
One person reads the script, and the other performs the actions (click here, drag there, open this, etc).

This gives us an idea of slide timing and organization for adding audio.

2. Another method I have used - is to review the script - rewrite if required - and then record the audio separately from the Captivate application, and adding the audio to slides (using the Audio- timing - project from the menu). Then dragging the slides in place, and then timing objects on slides as required (mouse, highlights, captions, etc).

Depending on the size an complexity of the project this method can be fast, or really slow.

And the last way -

3. Review the script, re-write, test script, no screen captures or audio recording. After the script seems sound, we get one "driver" - to perform the actions for screen recording, etc, and one "reader" that reads the script while we use the Captivate application to record both the audio and the screen captures.

To shorten this message - that is about it. I was wondering what methods other Captivate users and developers are
using to do work similar to the effort outlined above.

Thanks,

eholz1

P.S. Hello Captiv8or
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 18, 2007 Dec 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eholz1,

The method I favor is not included in any of your three (3) options. I agree that the "script is everything", but I generally add audio from that script as a separate step - after the recording process - as a part of the routine editing procedure. That works better for me than to narrate while recording.

I reject out of hand the idea of using a third-party audio program to separately record audio to be separately inserted/imported later ... the work involved in synchronizing audio on the time-line is considerable, and often results in its own horror stories about editing slide audio timing to correspond to slide timing of objects and other actions. But maybe that's just me. But maybe it's not ... see this thread for an example of how screwed up and frustrated you can become, trying to fit a round peg into a square hole (with all respect to the author of that thread.

In other news, I see nothing wrong with calling members uh, members. I respond pretty well to any name that doesn't reference a body part or function thereof. As a matter of fact, I've even been called that (right here) from time to time. Sigh. So hard to generate a little hero worship nowadays - but even so, I think I'll keep on being me.

Have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2007 Dec 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hello CatBandit,

It sounds pretty much like we are "in sync" :). But,
what/how do you capture the audio?

Can I assume you perform the screen captures first, which
provides a presentation without audio. Then you record audio (somehow). Would you be using captivate to record the audio, while you play the project? I did not know we could do that.
To clarify: Record screen shots and actions (move, mouse, open etc). Then when the screen capture is done, re-open the project and play it, while recording the audio??

If that is how you do it, it sounds better that the other methods I have tried. I will try this after I make this posting - if it works, then the question here becomes moot!

Thanks so much for the input - one last question - what about tracking "state" ? I have also tried to export a captivate project with a bunch of slides to flash (no work well). The captivate project size is 800x550 and plays fine - but when exported to Flash (CS3 pro), the slide backgrounds are miniscule, and the highlight boxes, etc are the proper size. Tips for exporting? I was thinking about using flash as a menu - to play various captivate lessons (swfs, etc), so I can tell the user which lesson he or she is on, etc.

Thanks,

eholz1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources