• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best Practice for New Doc Version?

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2007 Dec 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a RH novice who needs to create a V1.1 doc based on the V1.0 source topics, TOC, and images. I'm using RH HTML X5. What is my best practice? The previous author left a unclear doc suggesting something like the following:

1. Copy the current V1.xpj, V1.hhc, and V1.hhp files and rename them as V1.1.xpj, V1.1.hhc, and V1.1hhp
  2. Place the renamed files in the V1 root directory and open the V1.1.xpj file.
  3. Create and edit new content

Not understanding RH too well, this seemed reasonable. It appears what he is suggesting will bring everything forward in a new project, but leave the V1 structure intact. I tried this, and it seemed to be working but I was confused by RH also making changes to the OLD V1.cpd and V1.pss (I don't know that those files are).

So, apparently the copied files contain references to at least the old cpd and pss files (and maybe others). I'm concerned that continuing down this path will corrupt V1 and leave me mis-matched conventions. Some files being V1, and some being V1.1.

Is there a how-to somewhere that can help me create a new version and not muddy up the old? Do any X5 gurus remember how they did this?

Thanks in advance,
Keith

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2007 Dec 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's more needed than those three files. The simplest way is to copy the whole folder. Open the project and then go to File | Rename Project and that changes all the required files.

This applies regardless of version.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2007 Dec 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that's a GREAT tip. I'll try it immediately!

Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2007 Dec 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Hopefully you'll see this. I tried you suggestion. Opened the old file and renamed the project. About 10 links came up broken that weren't broken before. Any ideas why this would happen. I didn't make any changes other than the rename.

Thanks,
Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2007 Dec 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
That process should not break any links. Maybe the reason will become apparent as you fix them.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp