• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glossary Restyling Script creating htm files for each glossary term instance

Participant ,
Jun 09, 2015 Jun 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're using Robohelp HTML 11 and Robohelp's Glossary functionality is severely limited. We need our glossary hotspots to be pop-ups, so we use the Output Generator with Glossary Restyling Script, but when we use the pop-up option, it creates an additional html file for each instance of a glossary term instead of mapping all references to a single file for a glossary term. Why does it do this? And is there a way to fix it? The tooltip option does not do this, but it isn't smart enough to keep the pop-ups from going off screen. The additional 10,000 to 11,000 files that this creates is a problem for us, as each file has to be installed individually with our software.

While we're on the subject, is there a way to tell Robohelp to unmark Glossary hotspots? Or to avoid certain styles like headings or special text where we do not want to have glossary hotspots? We had to have someone write a script to fix these issues, but it seems like this should be a standard function.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2015 Jun 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Unfortunately, the script is simply building upon the built in RoboHelp functionality for popups. If you manually add a Text Only popup, you are going to end up with additional HTML files. One for each popup.

The only real alternative here would be to create a single HTML page with all your glossary terms and definitions, then insert bookmarks at each term and manually create a popup link from each instance to its matching term. Painstaking to be sure, but it's the only way around it that I'm aware of.

Feel free to suggest an enhancement request to see things behave differently in a future release. Click the link below and complete the form to request it.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 12, 2015 Jun 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I figured as much but was hoping there was some way around it. We used to have a glossary page with hand-marked terms like you described, but our Online Help is over 1000 topics. It's just not manageable. One of the devs here just created a program that remaps all of the glossary htm files in the WebHelp to global glossary files, so we created a fix that cuts down our file count by around 10,000 files, but it would be nice to not have to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can modify the script to not create popups in this way but show custom popups or hover text instead. I created something similar for a customer. Let me know if you are interested in exploring the options for this.

For unmarking, a script would be the way I would do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I'd be interested in knowing how you got the script to do that, we've already invested dev time in creating a fix for what we need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you send me a mail on contact [at] wvanweelden [dot] eu? I can send you the code then.

Apologies for the late reply. Just came across this in my inbox again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp