• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recovery of unsaved files CS6?

New Here ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you manually recover an InDesign CS6 file after a crash (Mac OSx10.8.3)?

I had to restart my macbook this morning as InDesign was running slow.

When it restarted, the file (which I thought I had been diligently saving all of yesterday), opened the version I started with at 4pm, not the version I 'finished' with at 3am this morning (aaargh!!). So, many hours work has just disappeared.

The Adobe document recovery instructions suggest InDesign should automatically recover the file, but this didn't happen.

I can't find the recovery folder in the location Adobe says it should be either, so I can't find the temporary files.

Any suggestions received very gratefully.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The recovery folder appears in different places on different operating systems, so the best way to find it is to use your operating system’s Search utility to find a folder called (InDesign Recovery)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Salah, I did already try that but search returned no results. Do you know how to set the destination folder for recovery files within InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-document-recovery.html

* Mac OS X: Users/[User Name]/ Library/Cache/Adobe InDesign/Version[#.0]/ InDesign Recovery

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also take a look at: Trouble shooting 101

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Salah - thanks - this is the document I've been trying to follow. it says " If InDesign cannot locate the InDesign Recovery folder during startup, it re-creates the folder."

I can't find this path - maybe it's a mountain lion thing (grr)

• Mac OS X: Users/[User Name]/ Library/Cache/Adobe InDesign/Version[#.0]/ InDesign Recovery

I get this far:

Mac OS X: Users/[User Name]/

there's no Library folder.

A search at Finder level returns no useful results either.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OSX 10.7 & OSX 10.8 defaults to hiding the users Library directory, but you can make it visible by following the steps here:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/04/show-library-directory-in-mac-os-x-lion/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, finding the recovery folder probably won't do you much good. There is no method I know of to make ID open the recovery files other than a crash/force quit. You could verify that there is some data there, then open ID and if the recovery doesn't happen automatically (and it sounds like it did, but not to the point you were hoping), force quit ID and reopen and see if you have better luck. My suspicion, though, is you are just stuck with what you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At what point did InDesign crash? You say InDesign was running slow, and that you had to restart. (Though I question whether rebooting OS X is necessary to fix sluggishness in one application.)

Did it crash when you tried to quit it?

And ID opened a recovered document when you launched it? But what about the actual document that you had been saving? There may be a dinstiction between the two. Perhaps that is still intact?

And surely you have a Time Machine backup that would include a newer version of the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I had such a crash. So frustrating. Tried following this guide (http://smallbusiness.chron.com/recover-work-illustrator-39270.html) but no luck. It did recover a file and it was three times bigger in size (>30 MB vs. 11,8 MB) so I had big hopes but the content of the file was the same.

WHEN IS ILLUSTRATOR GOING TO HAVE FILE RECOVERY?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the InDesign forum but the best way to protect your work is to save often and have backups. Here's an article I wrote a while back: http://boblevine.us/why-i-always-save-files-in-dropbox-and-why-you-should-too/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BobLevine‌ you're right! Didn't realise the question was about InDesign, not Illustrator. Better to realise that 2 years late than never, ha!

Protecting your work saving often and backing up is good advice – still, Adobe still should do a better job with crash recovery as the maker of the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, InDesign has about the best crash recovery of any application I've ever seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry Peter Spier‌, I was referring to Illustrator, not InDesign. I do agree InDesign works great with crash recovery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines