Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

E_AUTH_BAD_DEVICE_KEY_OR_PKCS12 [2012]

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I downloaded an e-book from lulu.com yesterday.  It was an .acsm file, which forced me to install Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 in order to view.  I installed it without authorizing and browsed the book for a few minutes then turned off the program.  Later I returned to read it but there was a message about some licence key being broken or something, with E_AUTH_BAD_DEVICE_KEY_OR_PKCS12 in the error message.  I tried to authorize ADE to see if it would help, but it gave me a message saying "Digital Editions encountered an error on the activation server", with the familiar E_AUTH_BAD_DEVICE_KEY_OR_PKCS12 code.

I tried removing the book from the library and reimporting it, but now it won't even do that without the same error message.  I've tried deleting the .acsm file and redownloading it, unistalling ADE and reinstalling it, made sure the firewall allows acces to the internet, and keep getting the same message.  I'm running on Vista.  It works with DRM-free .pdf's I have, but I can't download any of the sample books on Adobe's website to test further because the server doesn't respond.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Install ADE

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally was able to download a .acsm file from Adobe's sample books page.  It evokes the same error message.  No progress.

Also, I attempted to see if I could view the file on my phone instead of my computer, but seeing as how the first (and only) time I opened the book ADE was not registered, and therefore rights were limited to that one device, it won't let me view it because of that whole DRM thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that you are running on Windows Vista which ADE 2.0 does NOT officially support. Have you tried any other Windows platform like Windows XP or Windows 7?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately Vista's all I got.  That could very well be the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here; i am using multiple libraries and i cannot revert the ADE version on this machine (office workstation)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2013 Jan 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now corrected this error!!

at last....

I was advised that if you open Adobe Digital Editions and then press “Ctrl + Shift key and the d key” at the same time a pop up box will appear “ Erase computer authorisation” if you click the button on the right “ Erase Authorisation”.

Then the first time you use Adobe Digital Editions, you will be asked to authorise the software with your ID. Should you not receive this prompt, click ‘Help’ and ‘Authorise this Computer’

And it worked!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2014 Jul 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me too!

Thank you for posting!!!

"

I have now corrected this error!!

at last....

I was advised that if you open Adobe Digital Editions and then press “Ctrl + Shift key and the d key” at the same time a pop up box will appear “ Erase computer authorisation” if you click the button on the right “ Erase Authorisation”.

Then the first time you use Adobe Digital Editions, you will be asked to authorise the software with your ID. Should you not receive this prompt, click ‘Help’ and ‘Authorise this Computer’

And it worked!!!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2015 Jul 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello There,  when I did the above, "Ctrl +Shiftkey anf the d key, I get the pop up "Erase computer authorisation'' then the following screen appears

Authorised user: my id details are there

Passrord: I type in my password

then I get the message: Unable to erase authorisation

Please can someone assist I'm desperate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Raeesa, exactly the same problem for me!! Since a week I´m trying to solve it with help from Tolino and Adobe... - but still there´s no possibility to download new and older books... 😞

Authorisation can not be erased...

Hope there will be someone helping us??!!! Please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have received the error message "E_AUTH_BAD_DEVICE_KEY" or "E_AUTH_BAD_DEVICE_KEY_OR_PKCS12" ...

Solution: Deauthorize and reauthorize Adobe Digital Editions.

For Adobe Digital Editions (Windows PC and Mac)

• De-authorize Adobe Digital Editions (from library view, CTRL+SHIFT+D or CMD+SHIFT+D).
  • If you have previously downloaded your book to another computer, please use the same Adobe ID when authorizing subsequent devices.

For Bluefire Reader (iOS and Android mobile devices)

• Click "Info" at bottom right of Bluefire Reader.
  • Click "Deauthorize" and confirm.
  • Click "Authorize" and enter your Adobe ID credentials.
  • After following the above steps, please try downloading and opening your book again.
  • Verify that your computer has access to the internet. If it does, check any proxy, firewall, or antivirus settings that may be preventing Adobe Digital Editions from accessing the internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Thank you so much for the posting. However, I attempted to erase the authorization, but it told me that it's unable to erase the authorization at the time, even though I entered the correct password. I have tried multiple times. But it's still not working. I don't why. Is there any other procedure that I have to follow in order to be able to de-authorize the Adobe Digital Editions?

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If due to some reason, you are unable to deauthorize ADE, follow the below steps:

Mac: Navigate to /Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions and drag the activation.dat file to the trash.

ADE will be deauthorized now.

Now Authorize ADE again.

Windows:

Choose Start > Run.

In the Open text box, type regedit and then press Enter. The Registry Editor opens.

In the left pane of the Registry Editor, locate the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adept

Right-click the Adept key and choose Delete.

In the Confirm Key Delete dialog, click OK.

Your authorization will be deleted.

ADE will be deauthorized now.

Now Authorize ADE again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2015 Jun 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! This did the trick (on Windows, going to the start menu, then run, then regedit, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Shreya

we followed your instructions (regedit) but didn't work. we have the newest version. when deleting the regedit entry it says "not all keys could have been deleted (nicht alle angegebenen Werte können gelöscht werden).

Please we need help.

thanks claus

edit: code

E_AUTH_BAD_DEVICE_KEY_OR_PKCS12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, follow below steps:

1. Uninstall ADE

2. Please download the latest ADE 4.0.3.117585

http://www.adobe.com/solutions/ebook/digital-editions/download.html

3. Launch ADE

4. Help -> Erase authorization.

ADE will be deauhorized.

5.  Now again AUTHORIZE ADE

Help-> authorize computer.

Error will be fixed !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your help.

didn't work. it says: authorization cannot be deleted. Try later.

what next?

thanks

claus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please ensure that you are deauthorizing on latest ADE 4.0.3.117585

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Ipad Mini 3 - I am unable to open any books that I am borrowing from my Library.  I keep receiving the message:

E_AUTH_BAD_DEVICE_KEY_OR_PKC

I can download the book to read on my laptop, but the whole point of using my iPad is that its small and thus more convenient.

I'd appreciate assistance to get this corrected.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  clicked on Help and then Erase Authorization. Once I entered the password. It is showing as èIncorrectè. How to reset the password. Please help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, this worked for me. Removed the key from registry as mentioned and all good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a MAC and the problem as described above with the error code and the deauthorization not working. I tried your suggestion to "

Mac: Navigate to /Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions and drag the activation.dat file to the trash.

ADE will be deauthorized now."

However, that file does not exist on my computer. What can I do?!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This deactivation.dat file doesn't exist on my Mac.  And i have one of the latest version of ADE (4.5.11...).

Is there any other solution?

Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! I'm on a mac and I could not find this file, but did a search for "activation.dat" and deleted the file in that way - I was then able to re-register and open by .acsm file. 

I contacted Adobe's chat help and they basically said since it's a free product they don't provide support (they did send me a link to this page). Pretty crummy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gret tip, this worked perfectly, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines