• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digital Editions "sucks the sweat off a deadman's back"

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2008 Oct 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not understand whether or not Digital Editions is flawed as a result of technical retardation on the part of its developers (unlikely), or because it represents a triumph somehow of the rights of publishers over those that pay for access to that published content.

The reason for doubting that the crippling navigational and other shortcomings of the product as a result of profound programming retardation comes as a result of comparing Digital Editions to Reader, Acrobat, and so forth. I guess it's cool to play at communist until the folks cutting the bigger check object.

I just spent for instance 85 bucks on an electronic text for a law class. The scrolling, inability to copy any text whatsoever, even though I can easily type out what I need in a time-consuming manner, the almost horrificly bad resizing tools and behaviours, I just don't know where to start.

Let me just finish by offering both a hearty and sincere, "thanks for a piece of crap".
TOPICS
Install ADE

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2008 Oct 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to apologize for the angry post I made earlier. Just because Digital Editions is deeply flawed in so many content management and user interface aspects - essentially, the child in the family of Adobe products that m-u-s-t be made to keep its helmet on in order to avoid further brain trauma - does not justify my use of the word "crap".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2016 Jan 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its the worst programme i've ever worked with and one day it will be the death of me. Currently using it Trying to read and highlight on my economics text book.. it is fast sucking me dry ;'(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reject your apology. It deserves to be recognized as the steaming pile that it is. A decade later, nothing has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly. Reading this at least makes me feel better. 

I'm using this as my only copy of the book, and at this point I would be happy if it let me scroll faster than my grandma after smoking a phat G of purple knurple straight to the dome. 

It moves an inch at a time every 15 seconds, then freezes. 

I was excited to find they had an iPhone app, alas, if I try to flip to a certain page the viewer shuts of completely, and if I search more than once the app completely crashes.

Honestly well done Adobe, it was worth it for the lulz. My money spent on the book however, most certainly was not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2009 Oct 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  I can't stand this piece of crap either.  It's overly slow, scrolling sucks, zooming sucks and all of these make it really hard to find what you're looking for.  On top of that, when you type in a page number, it is like 15 pages off, forcing you to scroll up or down.  And the scrolling really is the worst I've ever seen, it literally takes like 5 seconds just to scroll to the next page.  And that's absolutely ridiculous.  Sometimes our professor will switch pages in the book a lot, and by the time I can find the problem she's already on another page.  Incredibly frustrating.  Do yourself a favor and stay away from Adobe Digital Editions like the plague.  I won't buy an eBook again if I have to use this stupid Digital Editions crap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2009 Oct 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe have effectively "stolen my property" my e-books (mostly Wiley Publications) were originally purchased from Amazon and Adobe in PDF not digital editions. I bought them in PDF because that's the way I wanted them so I could use read aloud or print extracts. And along came Adobe who entered my home without my authority and put a padlock around my bookshelf, only the threat of legal action  got my books back (Both Amazon and Adobe don't do redownloads for previously purchased books, and neither do Wiley) following the installation of Vista when DRM refused to authorize my books claiming it wasn't the original computer. All I had done was upgrade to Vista.

Now the nightmare is back, I had to reinstall my operating system due to failure of essential parts of the software and again Adobe have decided to nick my property again all my WILEY publications have been lost.

I buy NO Adobe, Amazon, Wiley products because if I am swindled I don't get swindled again. Long stretches in jail for the crooks running these companies!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 31, 2009 Oct 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that Digital Edition is really poorly made - imagine a real paperback book being so complicated to open and with such a bad non intuitive userinterface? We can do so many things today - I wish the programmers of the world would get that interface is the most important thing of every tool!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital editions Sucks.!!! I cant say it enough. Want to know how I really feel????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital editions Sucks.!!! I cant say it enough. Want to know how I really feel????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought and downloaded a legal textbook in ADE.

I also downloaded the iPhone app so I can study during flights.

the text is so small it's illegible and trying to zoom is nigh on impossible (it becomes difficult to centre or scroll or turn the page).

this is the worst book app I have ever encountered.

who wrote this steaming pile of sh1t of an app?

What an absolute rip off 

I will never buy another book that is confined to this app again, it really is beyond belief that in this day and age a company can publish an app that is this useless

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is 2022 and this piece of garbage lives.  I wish I could be more forgiving as it is my nature, but this abomination should just be removed from downloads and app stores and there should be no place for it in a professional environment or as a tool that schools use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 28, 2010 Aug 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why I cant copy fragments of the content!!!!?????

I am a researcher and I want to use quotations!!!!!

I don't want to type letter by letter....Thats why I tought this plataform will help me the homework of typing everything but is not working.

At the begining it was working now its says that is not aloud!!!!!

Can you please helP?????

please

Ernest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 28, 2010 Aug 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why I cant  copy fragments of the  content!!!!????? I am a researcher and I  want to use quotations!!!!! I don't want to type letter by  letter....Thats why I tought this plataform will help me the homework of  typing everything but is not working. At the begining it was working  now its says that is not aloud!!!!! Can you please helP????? please  Ernest.

PLEASE WRITE ME TO THIS ADRESS... BY THE WAY I CANT CHANGE MY DEFAULT ADRESS I ALREADY TRY nd is not workinggggg!!!!!!

very bad design if I want to actualize my profile....it dosnt give me the posibility to change my email......bad bad plataform!...

s3233093@student.rmit.edu.au

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 29, 2010 Aug 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes D E SUCKS!!!!!

Please some one reply....or show me that DE dosent suck!...

I can copy any fragment for my research...and why it was working the first day....now copy is not working this software is bbbbbbaaaaadddd!...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 29, 2010 Aug 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Digital Editions SUCKS SO BAD!!!!!

Please someone reply to me....or show me that Digital Editions is great!..

I can copy any fragment for my ebook.... for my research...and why it was working the first day??????....

now copy is not working this software is bbbbbbaaaaadddd!...so BAD!.....people don´t use this until we fix this type of problems!...

Please send me an email to this address...

s3233093@student.rmit.edu.au

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2010 Dec 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is truely the worse reader I have used on my pod, hands down bar none, all comments are true here and adobe can do a better job and should, they are getting tax payers money and  for that providing a really bad product and should be both embarrassed as well as ashamed.

After using the apple reader and the kindle reader then using this you just have to say are you kidding me?

My two cents

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree , this f**sucks. Thanks for waisting my time adobe. Ass tards..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2013 Jan 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Navigating is awful. On my Mac, scrolling virtually does not work, it is incredibly slow and choppy. It is the Adobe software because I'm on OSX 10.7 with a quad core i5 and 32 Gigs of RAM. Scrolling works great on my 8 year old windows XP machine though. Something is very very wrong with that. Also, what's the point of being able to highlight and take notes in my study book if they don't sync to my other devises? Also, there is no practical solution for the iPhone or iPad. I ditched the laptop years ago and I'm stuck studying and taking notes at home on my iMac that doesn't scroll. There also is no feature to click to the next page, I have to type in the page number. Worst software I have ever used. I can't desire if I'm more upset with Adobe or with the Publisher for not providing the book through Apple, Amazon, or Kindle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 27, 2013 Jan 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that ADE is a poor bit of software in many ways; but not going into that more here.

Apple and Kindle are both more restrictive than Abobe DRM,

though more convenient if your usage pattern and devices happen to fit their limitations.

Also, there is no practical solution for the iPhone or iPad.

Have you tried the Bluefire app?  I haven't found any books that ADE will read on the PC but Bluefire won't read on the iPad.

Transferring books to iPad is a bit awkward (iTunes, Dropbox or email work),

but that is because of Apple's absurd limitations on the way transferring files work rather than a fault of ADE or Bluefire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2014 Apr 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since there are really no helpful comments on how to fix this issue posted here, even though it is old, I have found a solution. I am only replying since someone else will probably Google this problem in the near future and read through the whole forum, hence how I arrived here today. My solution was to download ePub converter (5-day free trial) and this application will allow you to convert your .acsm file into PDF, Kindle reader format (suggested; awesome reader w/ useful features) and about 3 or so more different file formats. There is more information listed on the application website, which you can access here:

http://www.ebook-converter.com/133-acsm-to-epubpdf.htm

I hope this fixes future problems as I'm sure everyone who has posted here no longer has this problem. BTW, that first post was F***ING hilarious! Definitely the red-headed step child of Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a life saver.  That Adobe Digital Editions is unuseable.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. You've just improved the usefuleness of a digital book that I legally purchased by 100%!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant to write 1000% You've freed me from the curse of the worst program ever!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines