Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Access to Novell Share thru CFMX application

Dec 05, 2007 Dec 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently running CFMX 7.0.2 on a W2K server ; the server also has Novell Client 4.91 SP4 so it can access a shared Novell drive for documents which are uploaded into a filing system. When I ran this system on CF 5.0 on an NT 4.0 box with Novell Client 4.90 SP2 everything worked fine and continues to work fine. I have since loaded CF 5.0 on the windows 2000 server with the Novell 4.91 SP4 client and I can't access the Novell share either. So it has something to do with the new client and Coldfusion. I have spoken with our Novell people and they tell me that if CF uses SMB to access files for UNC Paths my current configuration won't work because we need to use Netware Core Protocol (NCP) to access the Novell shared drive. Is this something I can configure in CFMX? I am using the same login accounts on both machines and both CF services the account has read/write access to the shared Novell drive. I can change the UNC path to a shared windows drive or unix drive and I have no problem. As soon as I try to access the Novell drive the web app brings back nothing. I can manually load files to the Novell share from the server.

An help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Eric O.
Text Text
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 05, 2007 Dec 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the ColdFusion 5 Server service on the working server. It is likely running as a service and using a specific user login. New installations default to localsystem to run the CF services. Localsystem will not have access to shared drives and other shared resources. Configure a similar user on the new box and have CF run under that user.

http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_17279

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 07, 2007 Dec 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken,

I appreciate your response. I have the services running under my account and I have logged the server onto the network using my account. Since I last posted I have tried various setup combinations and found a "working solution" (older Novell client 4.91 SP2 on w2K SP4 Server) on a development server. However, this solution may not last forever. The question posed to me by our Novell people is: Does CF use native API's on a windows server to do file operations or is CF coded to handle NCP (netware Core Protocols) calls and utilize Clustered DFS volumes on NetWare. I am hoping someone at Adobe can answer that question because I can't.

Thanks again,

Eric O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 18, 2007 Dec 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ColdFusion uses java to do all its file I/O. So, ultimately we use whatever java is using. We do not directly call any native API's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 24, 2007 Dec 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Ken,

Thanks again for responding. This past Friday we did a trace on our server to see why application it couldn't access the Novell share. It appears that when the application tries to access it passes the account username on CF Application Service with the domain appended to it like watchdog.co-nt-derd1 (username.domainname). Novell doesn't recognize the username with the domain appended to it. So we're trying to figure out how to get around this.

If you have any suggestions please pass them along.

Happy Holidays,

Eric O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation